Heartbeats and Warm Hands

How I Met Byun Baekhyun

"Chanmi!"

Chanmi's head snapped up as she struggled to open her eyes. She was exhausted from finishing Baekhyun's work and could barely keep her head up. She rubbed her eyes until they focused on the smiling face in front of her. The room grew warm as Baekhyun's eyes turned into a crescent moon and she felt her cheeks grow a bit red.

"What!? What did I do?" Chanmi moved back until her back was to the couch.

"You weren't waking up so I got a bit nervous," Baekhyun shrugged, "So I guess yelling works then."

He walked towards the kitchen once she followed after him. Chanmi gasped at the table full of food and watered. She eagerly sat down and reached out for her favorite dish but was stopped. Her eyes narrowed as Baekhyun smacked her hand away as he sat down.

"Why are you grabbing the food without waiting for me and with your hands?"

"I'm hungry."

"And?"

"What do you want!? I finished your work, I had a successful date... I even let you sleep in my room!"

"Which is why I made all this food for you," Baekhyun laughed, "I was just kidding. You can eat however and whatever you want."

Chanmi looked down at the food and smiled. She touched her cheeks as they grew warm and fanned herself a bit. She looked up and noticed Baekhyun gathering her favorite foods onto a plate. He wordlessly handed them to her as he started eating. The bags under his eyes were less noticable and his eyes weren't red. The suit he was wearing hugged his lean figure and his hair was slicked back to show his forehead.

"I like your hair like that," She blurted out, "I mean... you look less tired."

"Thank you?" Baekhyun tilted his head, "I didn't think it was that obvious."

"You're welcome."

Chanmi stuffed and winced in embarrassment. Why did she even say that!? Not only did she sound stupid but the fact that she was looking at him became obvious. 

"I have to go," He stood up and buttoned his suit jacket, "I might be home late so order food and pay with my card."

Baekhyun handed her his card as he went to the door. He turned around to put on his shoes but stopped when he felt a warm hand on his neck. Chanmi was straightening his tie and fixing his collar. His eyes wandered over her face and he frowned when he noticed the dark circles and hollow cheeks. He reached out to touch her face but stopped as she stepped back.

"Sorry, I just noticed that your tie wasn't straight. I didn't know if you knew."

"Thank you."

"I promise not to waste a lot of money," Chanmi laughed as she waved his card around.

"I hope not," Baekhyun laughed too, "I'm not as rich as you think I am."

"Sure sure."

••••••••

"What's this?"

Baekhyun looked away from his computer to stare at the stack of papers on his desk. He smiled proudly as Eunji examined the reports that Chanmi had made. She had color coordinated all of his statistics and even created graphs. It was the first time in his life that someone made better presentations than he did.

"Chanmi made them."

"Chanmi? Park Chanmi?" Eunji scoffed, "If you're going to lie then make it believable."

"Why don't you believe me?"

"Because it's Chanmi we're talking about."

"What about Chanmi!?" Baekhyun grew defensive, "She's a smart girl."

"I never said she wasn't smart."

"Then?"

Eunji simply shrugged, "You know how lazy she is. Why would she do anything that would get her off the couch?"

"Chanmi's changing. She's not the same person you think she is."

"And how would you know?"

Baekhyun avoided her gaze and focused his attention on the laptop in front of him. He quickly stood up and walked to the door to avoid Eunji's gaze. She ran in front of him and spread her arms out to stop him from opening the door.

"What's going on?"

"What do you mean?"

"You didn't."

Her question sounded more like a statement.

"I did."

Eunji jumped up and down as she screamed her head off. The great Byun Baekhyun was living with one of his client's and it wasn't a normal client but the most hated girl in Byun Matchmaking. 

"I can't believe you're living with Chanmi! I am witnessing the day that Byun Baekhyun finally gives up! The glorious day where Byun Baekhyun is no longer the matchmaking king!"

Baekhyun rolled his eyes as she ran around the room and kept half-screaming and half-laughing. She finally sat down as she ran out of breath and patted the seat next to her. She curled into a ball on the couch and smiled widely.

"So tell me everything."

••••••••

"Is this what true power feels like?"

Chanmi stared at the black card in her hands as she paced back and forth. It was the first time in her short life that she had no restrictions on how much she could spend. With her small savings and the few dollars she earned from her book store, she was always budgeting. 

"Oh my gosh. Oh my gosh."

She stopped pacing and ran to grab her coat before heading outside. She ran towards the nearby supermarket and skidded to a stop. Baekhyun's words of not wasting money hit her. The power of the black card in her hands was slowly fading. 

Chanmi stared at it and sighed, "Maybe next time."

The hot air of the heater hit her face as she stepped inside and grabbed a cart. She walked throughout the aisles and stocked up on fruits, vegetables and, of course, meat. Her eyes grew brighter and wider as the cart filled quicker than expected. The elderly cashier waved to say hello and Chanmi grew embarrassed.

"Chanmi! Are you having people over?" The cashier grew curious, "You haven't bought this much food since your parents moved away."

"A friend is living with me for a while so I have to make sure there's food."

"That's nice. I was always worried about you since you would only buy ramen and even then you would only eat one a day."

Chanmi awkwardly smiled and waited for the total. She quickly paid and ran back to her apartment. She placed the food in the fridge and rolled her sleeves up. Baekhyun was right. She needed to prove to him and other people that she had what it takes to get married. 

After all, he had always helped in and she has never repaid him in any way. If she could finally get married, or even a boyfriend, Baekhyun would finally have what he has always wanted. She had to find someone. Anyone.

"Okay," Chanmi raised her fists in the air, "I can do this!"

••••••••

"I think we're done for today."

Baekhyun rubbed his eyes and organized the large stack of reports on his desk. Between explaining to other department heads his goals for the new year and blaming Eunji for his downfall, he was completely tired.

It didn't help that she was standing in front of him with a large smirk on her face.

"Awww," She cooed, "Do you miss Chanmi that much?"

"It's past 8 and work is done!"

"Are you scared that Chanmi will have to eat dinner by herself?"

"Stop it."

"Chanmi probably cooked you something nice right?"

"Chanmi can't cook."

"You even know she can't cook!?"

"I know some stuff."

Eunji gasped, "No way! Do you, maybe, feel something?"

"Feel what?"

"Feelings. For. Chanmi."

Baekhyun lunged at Eunji as she started laughing. He rolled his eyes and grabbed his coat. The day couldn't get worse as he made his way back home. He shook his head as he mentally corrected himself. 

Chanmi's home. Back to Chanmi's home.

"I wonder what she ordered."

He stepped inside the apartment and felt his stomach growl as the scent of freshly made rice, soup and meat made their way to his nose. His mouth started to water as his eyes landed on the kitchen table.

"You're back!"

Baekhyun turned to see Chanmi with a loose ponytail and an apron. Her smile widened as she grabbed his hand and practically sprinted to one of the empty bedrooms. She had spent all day cleaning it and organizing his clothes and paperwork. The bed had thick blankets and the desk even had a small plant she had bought.

"What do you think? Will this work for you?"

He slowly nodded his head and turned to stare at Chanmi again. She wasn't wearing her usual sweatpants and sweatshirt. The skinny jeans hugged her surprisingly toned legs and the navy blue blouse brought out her pale skin. 

He looked down to see her hand still on his and he quickly let go. Baekhyun pretended to inspect the room and gave a small smile as he nodded his head. Chanmi jumped up and down as she grabbed his hand again. She pulled him towards the kitchen and quickly took off his suit jacket.

"I didn't know what you liked so I made a bit of everything."

"I can see that."

"I'm actually a pretty good cook but I get nervous whenever I'm with someone."

He stared in awe at the food on his plate that Chanmi prepared for him. He grabbed a spoonful of food but stopped. He looked up to see her staring at him. Baekhyun felt his hands start shaking and looked down at his chest. The sound of his rapid heartbeat filled his ears. He looked back at Chanmi and felt his hands burning. Her eyes grew bright and her giggles filled the kitchen.

Dugeun. Dugeun.

"It can't be."

••••••••

author's corner; 

So I finally updated!! HOW DID YOU ENJOY THIS CHAPTER!? PLEASE COMMENT ABOUT ANYTHING! COMMENT AND UPVOTE IF YOU WISH! WHAT COULD THIS CHAPTER MEAN!? PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK.

IF I DON'T UPDATE THIS WEEK OR NEXT, HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO EVERYONE! THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR SUPPORT! I LOVE ALL OF YOU!

Elf-Buddy-I-Love-You.gif