Phone Calls and Warm Soup

How I Met Byun Baekhyun

"She's not picking up!"

"Chanmi? Is something wrong?"

Baekhyun grew desperate as his call went to voicemail again. His aunt stopped cooking as he paced back and forth and winced as a pillow hit him right in the face. He turned to glare at Eunji as she motioned for him to stop blocking the TV. He went back to his phone and snapped as another pillow hit his face. 

"What?" Baekhyun yelled, "What did you do that for?"

"Because" Eunji rolled her eyes, "You're acting like it's 3am in the morning. It's barely 10pm!"

"She always picks up whenever I call her."   

"She's on a date. I don't think picking up her calls is the first thing on her mind."

"What if something's wrong?"

"Chanmi's a big girl," Eunji sighed, "It's not like she's going to die anytime soon. In fact, she's going to outlive us all."

Baekhyun sat down defeated as his call went to voicemail. Eunji was right, as much as he hated to admit it, about Chanmi being able to handle herself. She was also probably right about phone calls being on her mind. Chanmi was probably enjoying herself and declaring her love for a man she met for the second time.

"Who's the date this time?"

"What?"

"I said, who is her date for today?"

"Kim Jongin."

"Nice. He's y as fu-"

"I don't want to hear it!"

Baekhyun moved back to the kitchen to escape her taunting about the tan y man with thick lips. He rested his head on the table and stared at his phone for the 20th time that night. He felt a warm hand on his forehead and smiled as his aunt set down a bowl of hot soup. She sat down besides him and patted his back to comfort him.

"Am I going overboard?" He sighed, "I'm overreacting right?"

"No," She laughed, "You're just in love."

—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—

"I think you're funny."

"No I'm not."

"I liked the joke about what you call an alligator wearing a vest."

Jongin laughed as Chanmi started laughing at his terrible joke. They had shared the worst jokes they have heard during the entire ride. Now that they had gotten off, she couldn't stop laughing as she remembered the punchline.

"An in-vest-igator!!" 

"It's not that funny!" Jongin laughed, "I only remembered it because I didn't get it the first time."

"Like I said, I think you're funny."

Chanmi moved closer as the wind picked up and the cold air started hitting her. She stopped breathing for a few seconds as Jongin wrapped his arm around her shoulder and pushed her closer to him. He pulled her as he started running towards her apartment building. They arrived inside the lobby and stood awkwardly as they didn't know what to say.

"I should probably go," Jongin smiled, "I don't want to freak you out by waiting in the lobby while you go up."

"It's pretty cold outside," Chanmi grew worried, "And you only have this sweater. I can go upstairs and get you something warmer."

"I'm fine, I can just grab a taxi or wait inside a coffee shop until the bus gets here."

"I insist. Just wait for a few minutes."

Jongin stared in awe as Chanmi raced towards the elevators with lightening speed. He walked around the lobby but stopped when he felt something warm against his cheek. He turned to look as Chanmi pulled his arms apart and slipped a thick jacket on him. She smiled as she handed him a thermos with hot tea.

"You didn't have to do this," Jongin didn't mean it as his smile grew wide, "I only live like 20 minutes away."

"I know. I have my reasons."

"Such as?"

Chanmi's face grew red as she avoided his gaze, "So you'll have to see me again to give it back."

"I guess I'll have to see you again twice. One for the jacket and another one for the thermos."

"Sounds like a plan."

"You bet."

—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—

"Everything turned out all right?"

"Yeah, he was so nice and sweet."

"He didn't do anything weird?"

"Weird like how? ert weird or weird habits?"

"Just general weird."

Chanmi shrugged as she threw her old sweater over her shirt. She was home only to find Baekhyun gone. When she finally managed to find her phone at the bottom of her purse, she was shocked to see over 20 missed calls. She called him back and he answered before the first ring and only arrived home after 10 minutes.

Baekhyun burst through the front door breathless and with mismatched shoes. He opened his mouth to yell at her but stopped when he noticed her red cheeks and the thick blanket wrapped around her. He placed his hand on her forehead and frowned when he felt how hot it was.

"You're coming down with a fever."

"Really? I just took medicine. It'll go down by tonight."

"Do you want me to make you something to eat? Something warm?"

"I'm fine. I just need some sleep."

Chanmi trudged to her room and quietly shut the door. She slipped inside her bed and wrapped the thick blankets around her as she closed her eyes. She looked up to see the door creak open as Baekhyun knocked. He hands her a cup of warm milk and a warm damp cloth to put on her head. Baekhyun places it on her forehead and squeezes her hands as he slips outside the room. 

She closes her eyes again and sighs when her phone rings. Chanmi looks to see who is calling and practically flings it across the room when she sees it's her mother. With an already defeated sigh, she picks up.

"What are you doing?"

"Nothing, I was just about to go to sleep."

"Is that all?" Her mother sighed, "I got a call this morning saying you didn't go to your appointment."

"I had other plans."

"You? What plans? Besides going to that bookstore and being at home what else do you do?"

"I do other things." Chanmi blinked away her tears, "Why do you always make it sound like I do nothing?"

"Because it's true."

"Well it's none of your business. You're not here. I'm living my life the way I want to."

"And that's why you're the way you are."

"Can you for once stop talking like that to me!?" Chanmi burst into tears, "You have no right to talk like that to me!"

There was silence on the other side as Chanmi tried to stiffle her tears. She always hated when her mother called her. Everytime she saw her mother's name on her phone, she could feel the air being out of her. The sad thing was that she still loved her. And that made the pain worse.

"I just wanted to tell you it's your brother's birthday today. The least you could do was call him."

"I will."

"Go to bed. You sound tired."

"You too."

"Good night Chanmi."

"Good night mom."

Chanmi hung up and threw her phone to the ground. She stood up and walked towards the door but stopped when she realized that Baekhyun probably heard everything. How could she face him now? It was enough having to pretend but to have your facade exposed was terrifying.

"I didn't hear anything."

"Liar."

Baekhyun opened her bedroom door and softly smiled as he held out a small bowl of soup. She smiled back as followed after him towards the living room. The TV was on and he pretended to focus on what was going on. Chanmi could tell he wanted to say something but she appreciated him holding back. 

"Oppa.."

"Did you know that ostriches can run faster than horses?"

"Thank you."

Baekhyun turned to her and wrapped the blankets around her tightly, "Anything for you Chanmi."

"So about tomorrow..."

"What now?"

Chanmi smiled, "I need to borrow some money."

—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—

author's corner;

I just want to apologize for taking so long to update. I'm currently in nursing school and school just got to me. I needed a small break but hopefully I will be able to update more. Hopefully everyone enjoys this chapter even though I personally think it's not that good. But again, I will try to update more often and make these upcoming chapters a bit more romcom. I had the story planned out but now I'm not so sure but hopefully all of you stay beside me in the adventures of discovering what the hell I am doing!

Please upvote and subscribe if you enjoyed this chapter! If you do unsubscribe, please let me know (in message) why you did and how I can improve the story/my writing. Have a wonderful week everyone! I love you!

Image result for yang se jong temperature of love gif

P.S who else is obsessed with Temperature of Love???? YANG SE JONG!