Straws

How I Met Byun Baekhyun

"Oh," Her eyes grew wide, "It's so pretty."

It was always hard for Chanmi to pinpoint exactly when she began to obsess over straws. It probably started when she had accidentally bought a plastic purple one that had swirls all over. It was an epiphany for her as she sipped her drink with it.

It didn't burn her when she drank hot coffee. When she used the straw it didn't make her teeth chatter when she sipped at cold drinks.

To Chanmi, straws were the greatest item invented besides ice cream and TV.

Straws were something that she treasured dearly.

But it was also something that made her seem unattractive.

"Excuse me?"

Chanmi jumped up in surprise as she looked up at the man in front of her. His eyes wandered over her pretty face and smiled as she smiled at him. She had completely forgot where she was the moment her drink came.

The thick green straw was sticking out of her smoothie and shining under the light. Chanmi looked down to stare at her hand as it began to twitch. That straw was perfect for her never ending collection. All she had to do was grab it and slip it inside her purse.

"Are you okay?" The man asked, "Your eyes keep twitching."

"No," Chanmi shook her head, "It's just a habit of mine when I get nervous."

"Am I making you nervous?"

"Huh?" She broke eye contact with the straw, "What did you say?"

"If I'm making you nervous."

Before Chanmi could say anything, she looked up to see a familiar looking man enter the small café. She flinched slightly as he turned to look at her with burning eyes. Without a word, she turned back to the man in front of her and smiled. 

Just like you practiced Chanmi. She thought to herself. Just do what he taught you to do.

"So..." Chanmi began. "Where did we leave off at?"

"You were telling me about your job," The man cleared his throat, "And about your dog."

"Oh yes!" She faked a laugh. "I can be a bit forgetful."

"That's fine," He smiled, "It's a bit cute."

Chanmi's eyes grew wider when the man smiled widely at her. Almost on cue, her eyes twitched as her face grew red in embarrassment. He reached out to grab her hand and brush back the few strands of her dark hair that fell over her face.

"You're really cute Chanmi-ssi."

"Really!?" She blurted out, "Do you mean it?"

"Of course!"

Chanmi burst into a loud laugh and she jumped up and down in her seat. Her blind date pulled back his hand and coughed to get her attention. She looked up at him and went back to her "regular" self.

"I'm so sorry," Chanmi forced her voice to go higher, "I just get a bit excited whenever someone compliments me."

"Oh that's fine," He nodded, "I understand."

There was a bit of an awkward silence as they stared at each other. The man snapped his fingers and turned towards Chanmi.

"You should tell me more about yourself. Like what your interests are."

He should not have said that.

"Really?" Her eyes lit up. "Are you sure?"

He really shouldn't have said that.

"Go ahead."

She slowly nodded her head and leaned closer. Her eyes glanced over the man's handsome features and she smiled a gummy smile. Chanmi flipped back her hair as she began to speak.

"I like straws." Chanmi began. "I have over 500 straws in a box under my bed. I don't use them once I get them but they're so pretty to look at." She grew even more excited. "I have several different kinds and in different colors too." Chanmi leaned even closer. "You can see them sometime if you want."

"You collect straws." The man frowned. "Is that even a hobby?"

"No. It's more like an obsession."

"I see."

"Like right now I can't take my eyes off of my straw and yours." Chanmi blinked. "It's as if they call for me."

The man's eyes grew wide as Chanmi plucked her straw from her drink and wiped it before slipping it inside her purse. He gasped slightly when he noticed the amount of straws that she had collected that day inside. She looked up and pointed at his drink before smiling.

"Do you mind if I take yours?" She asked. "I don't have that color yet."

"Huh?" He awkwardly laughed. "You can't be serious?"

"Yeah." Chanmi nodded. "I am."

"Okay. I guess you can have it."

The moment Chanmi's fingers touched his straw, a loud yell was heard in the café. She looked up to see the familiar man glaring at her as he motioned for her to let go of the straw. Chanmi's eyes grew watery as she stared at her hand before shaking her head. She plucked the straw out of his drink before slipping it into her bag.

"You can't be serious!? Are you ing kidding me!?"

The man stood up and motioned to Chanmi to meet him outside before slipping outside of the shop. Her eyes trailed after him before landing on her blind date. He was fidgeting in his seat and looking down at his watch every few seconds.

Well this plan is a bust. Chanmi sighed. Might as well finish it off.

"Want to know some fun facts?" She clapped her hands. "I know so many."

"Umm okay?" The man slowly nodded. "I guess so."

"At first straws were made from paper but then plastic." Chanmi began to count her fingers. "John B. Friedman was the one to invent bendy straws." She patted her herself. "Those are my personal favorites."

"Really?" The man sighed. "Listen Chanmi-ssi, I have another appointment that I forgot about." He stood up and bowed. "Maybe we can schedule another meeting?"

"No." Chanmi shook her head. "You don't have to make excuses."

"I'm sorry."

"That's fine."

Chanmi stood up and bowed as the man walked out of the shop. She took a deep breath and walked towards the door. She already knew what was going to happen but no amount of preparation allowed her to calm down. Chanmi stepped outside and her eyes landed on the man who was pointing a finger at her.

She raised her hand and awkwardly waved, "Hi."

••

Baekhyun knew he lost the moment Chanmi's drink was set in front of her. He had spent much of the morning coaching her on what to say and how to act. It didn't help that he was sipping a smoothie as he spoke. Her eyes had drifted towards his straw before he plucked it out of his drink and handed it to her.

"Remember Chanmi." Baekhyun cleared his throat. "You cannot be yourself."

"Then who do I act like?" Chanmi smiled as she slipped the straw into her purse. "Moon Chae Won or Yoon Eun Hye?"

"Anyone but you." He sighed. "I don't care if you even act like Santa Claus. Just don't be yourself."

"But what if we end up getting married?" She frowned. "Do I keep acting like someone else?"

"Before we even get there." Baekhyun shivered. "We need to find someone to date you."

"Oh... you're right."

Baekhyun stood up and paced in front of the powerpoint presentation he had made. He turned to see Chanmi staring at it with wide eyes as she read it. He had canceled all appointments and closed the office just to make sure Chanmi understood what was expected of her.

"Men like pretty, innocent and girls with amazing bodies." Baekhyun began. "What are the qualities that you have from the list?"

Chanmi replayed what Baekhyun said and raised her hand. "I'm a girl."

"Exactly! You're a girl and boys like..."

"Girls." She nodded. "And I'm a girl."

"Of course!" Baekhyun got excited. "So somewhere in this large city there should be a boy who likes you." He pointed at the presentation. "Why?"

"Because boys like girls and the only thing I have going for me is that I am a girl."

"Forget about being y and having an amazing body." Baekhyun waved his hands. "A beautiful face? There's no need anymore." He shook his head. "Plastic surgery can be done. But what's important in this world is that boys are after a nice..."

"Personality!" Chanmi yelled. "And I'm a girl with a nice personality."

"That's it!" He smiled. "So you are a simple girl who has a wonderful personality."

"With a straw collection."

Baekhyun turned to Chanmi and practically choked on his saliva. He almost reached out and smacked her as she played with her straws. He has had several weird clients over the years but Baekhyun had never met a girl who was so obsessed with something illogical. Yes, he had a crazy cat lady and a man with a foot but they were easier to control than Chanmi.

"Chanmi." Baekhyun forced a smile. "What did I say about your straws?"

"That they should be kept a secret until the boy really likes me." Chanmi repeated. "But I don't understand what's the big deal."

"It's a big deal because you look crazy whenever you talk about them."

"Then what about you?" She snapped. "What about your eyeliner collection?"

"That's different!" Baekhyun argued. "At least my collection is useful."

"Oppa!" 

"I told you not to call me that!"

Chanmi stood up and grabbed her bag before heading outside. Even if everyone made fun of her or bullied her, there was nothing Chanmi hated more than people who put her down for collecting straws. She had reached the bus stop before Baekhyun stepped in front of her.

"I'm sorry." He sighed. "I'm just trying to help you."

"I like my straws." She sniffled. "Like you like your eyeliners."

"I'll tell you what." Baekhyun patted her shoulder. "If you get through this blind date without mentioning straws or taking one, I'll give you something." He threw his hands in the air. "I'll buy you some straws."

"Really?" Chanmi's eyes sparkled. "Promise?"

"Promise."

Baekhyun rubbed his forehead when he noticed the bright green straw from Chanmi's drink staring at him. It shimmered and glistened under the bright light as it . He clenched his hands when Chanmi reached out to grab it. He managed to catch her attention and motioned for her to let go.

"Don't do it." Baekhyun murmured. "I swear on my company. Don't do it."

She shook her head and plucked it out of her drink without hesitation. 

"You can't be serious!?" He screamed. "Are you ing kidding me!?"

He stood up and walked out of the café when he noticed a worker coming towards him. Baekhyun turned to look at Chanmi as she grabbed her blind date's straw. He decided to wait by his car with clenched teeth.

"Forget it." He sighed. "I should just pay someone to marry her."

Baekhyun looked up to see the blind date walk out and step inside his car. He turned to see Chanmi hesitating by the door as she stared at him. He lifted his finger and made her come outside.

"Hi." Chanmi awkwardly waved. 

"What did we practice this morning?" Baekhyun laughed. "What did I say about straws?"

Chanmi lifted the bright yellow straw and showed Baekhyun. "I don't have this color yet."

"Just go home Chanmi. I'll call you later."

"But you were going to buy me straws."

"Did you do as I say?"

Chanmi shook her head and sighed. "No."

"Then I won't buy you straws." Baekhyun smiled. "Maybe next time?"

"Bye oppa."

"I told you not to call me that!"

Baekhyun slipped inside his car and waved as Chanmi walked towards the bus stop. He knew her apartment wasn't far from the company but he decided it was her punishment for ruining a perfectly fine date. Once he arrived at the company, he went inside his office and stared at the amount of folders in front of him. Baekhyun reached to call his secretary when he noticed that they were new.

"Ms. Song." Baekhyun frowned. "What are all these folders?"

"They are new clients sir. Apparently they are from all sections."

"And?" Baekhyun sighed. "Let the others take care of them."

"I recommend looking at their profiles first."

Baekhyun hung up and stared wide eyed at the several handsome men. His eyes trailed after their information and on the variety of interests. He looked down at his phone and his eyes lit up.

"Weird people like weird people." Baekhyun smiled. "There might be weirder people than Chanmi."

••

"It's not my fault that there were straws." Chanmi mumbled as she stared at her phone. "Oppa shouldn't get mad at me."

Chanmi turned towards the window of the small bookstore she worked at before looking down at the book in her hands. It was a normal day as she read more information about straws. She jumped up in surprise when her phone rang in the quiet shop.

"Oh oppa!" She laughed. "Why are you calling me?"

"I told you to not to call me that!"

"Fine. What is it CEO Byun?"

"What was your ideal type again?"

"Someone tall and funny or short and funny." Chanmi smiled. "Lee Kwang Soo or Yoo Jae Suk."

"What about tall, funny and handsome?"

"What kind of handsome?" She pouted. "Like idol handsome or the longer you stare they seem handsome?"

"I'm being serious Chanmi." Baekhyun's voice cracked. "What would you say about 11 handsome beasts?"

"SHINee or 2PM style?"

"Both."

"But do they like straws?"

••

author's corner;

Hello! I am terrible at comedy and fluff so please bear with me. Also, I'm so sorry if the chapter seems like crap.  Well I hope you enjoyed this chapter so please comment! Upvote! Do what you like! Oh! And if anyone is good at comedy and fluff, would you like to be my co-author? /hold out a flower/ please?