First Date

When All 12 Members Fall for Her

Sunmi hadn’t realized when Baekhyun opened the door, and was still immersed in her own thought until she suddenly heard a camera’s click.

When Sunmi came back to reality, she saw Baekhyun a couple of paces from her taking photos of her with his cell phone’s camera.

“Yah, Baek…. Uhmmmmm, Baek…… ehmm…..”

“Byun Baekhyun, that’s my name.”

“Oh, yes, sorry. YAH! BYUN BAEKHYUN! What are you doing?”

“Didn’t you see?” Baekhyun sarcastically asked, “I think it was clear enough that I was taking pictures. Of you.” Baekhyun flashed an adorable smile together with a pose as he said the lastp two words.

“Yah, what’s wrong with you…” Sunmi eyed Baekhyun thinking he was slightly off (although inside, really inside her, she was asking herself how a human being could be so adorable), but then she came back to her senses, “But….. what right do you have to have my picture… I didn’t even know you had taken the picture, could you please erase it?” Sunmi asked, she had decided to start being (at the least) polite to the guys.

“But you are the cutest thing in the world,” Baekhyun said and then he turned his phone so that Sunmi could see the screen, “look, it is perfect background!!” Baekhyun squealed making Sunmi slightly blush.

Just then Chen also came out wanting to know what was taking Baekhyun so much time. Then she saw Sunmi with the light rose tint on her cheeks. “Sunmi!!! You look SOOOO cute!!!!” Chen exclaimed.                              

“She does right?” Baekhyun fanboyed, but before they could continue, Suho came out.

“I am sorry for their behavior,” he said, “you should come in and take a sit. On the other hand… you two! I told you to bring her in, not to harass her!!”

 

When Sunmi entered EXO’s dorm, the guys were already sitting in the living room, waiting for Sunmi to come in. In some way, they were already desperate to know who was going to be the lucky one to have their first opportunity with Sunmi.

“Oh! There she is!” Sehun pointed out, “should we start now?”

“Yes, yes Sehun…. Just have a little patience,” Luhan said, although he was feeling just as impatient as the younger one was.

“Then…. How should we do it?”Kai asked.

“How about…… if Sunmi backhugs the person she wants to go out with today?” Chanyeol suggested.

There were murmurs of approbation all around the room. They all wanted to have skinship with her.

“But then it wouldn’t be random, she would have chosen, it wouldn’t be fair? Lets just continue with the plan of pieces of paper! She would probably choose the most good looking one out of us?” Tao said, worried that Sunmi would think he looked like a namecusei.

“Furthermore…. I would feel awkward…. Try to take how I feel into a count?” Sunmi said.

“But… Pleaseeeee!!!!” Sehun said, making his eyes double their size as they always did when he used aegyo.

“And Tao, I am sure she doesn’t recognize us yet, much less if we are showing our backs,” Kris reasoned.

They all wanted to be hugged by Sunmi, not knowing if they would ever get the opportunity again, finally, Sunmi accepted. When these guys used their aegyo, it was almost impossible to deny them anything.

They all turned their back, and she just “hugged” the first person she saw (if by hug you mean sort of poking his sides). It turned out to be EXO M’s maknae Tao.

“GUYS!!! GUYS!!!!! SHE CHOSE MEEEE!!!” Tao squealed, making all the others sigh. “Don’t worry guys, you will eventually get you chance,” Tao said trying to make s feel better (and at the same time showing off).

As soon as he could, Tao dragged Sunmi out of the room, not even allowing her to say goodbye, he wanted to spend as much time as possible with her.

 

“Thanks for choosing me!!” Tao said as soon as they were out the building the dorm was at.

“Tao-shi, please don’t get so overly excited, I can’t recognize any of you yet, I just chose the first body that came into my view.” The words were just coming out of , although she didn’t want to hurt his feelings.

The brightness on Tao’s face suddenly disappeared, and then, Sunmi felt terribly bad.

“But please don’t feel bad! I just wanted to let you know,” Sunmi said in his failed attempt to make him feel better.

There was an awkward silence, Sunmi had never been a really social person, neither was she good making people feel better when they were down. The silence was disrupted by Tao, trying to make the awkwardness go away.

“How about we go to have a walk at the park, and think about what we can do today?” he said.

“Uhmmm… Ok….” They walked towards the Hangang Park. But they were still extremely awkward. Sunmi was standing about a metre away from him.

When the twelve members where together with her, she felt this anger bubble up inside her that told her this guys meant no good, they looked so arrogant. But now that she was alone with one of them, she realized they still felt shy and awkward, and thought they were not enough just like normal people.

And then, she started to see that the way she acted towards the EXO guys was just like she saw them acting towards their fans (although unconsciously she knew it was not true). She was acting as if she was better in a really petulant way, snapping at them whenever she had the chance. But she really couldn’t help herself.

As they walked down the paths at the park, they saw a clown, and soon Sunmi saw Tao ducking behind her, using her as a shield.

“Yah, what are you doing?” Sunmi snapped, a tinge of annoyance in her tone.

“Uhmm… Nothing, I just feel like walking behind you, just keep walking, the faster we get away from here the better,” he said, his voice sounded panicky.

Then, Sunmi saw the clown, and realized just what was happening.

“You aren’t scared of the clown… Are you?”

“Of course not… I am manly!!”

“Oh! See, the clown is just behind you!” Sunmi exclaimed, making Tao shudder in fright, and close his eyes.

“Is he still there?”

“Come, I will take you away from him.” Of course, there was never a clown behind Tao, and now Sunmi was directing Tao towards the real clown. “We are already away from the clown, open your eyes,” She said.

Just as Tao opened his eyes, the first thing he saw was the clown with colorful bright hair and a big red nose. Suddenly, Tao broke into tears. Sunmi didn’t think it could be so serious, she just wanted to mess around a little, so she immediately took him away.

She saw a small eatery nearby, and she hadn’t quite eaten breakfast since she didn’t have breakfast in the morning.

“Tao-shi, I didn’t imagine it was such serious fright you had about clowns (Tao trembled just at the sound of the thing),” Sunmi apologized, she could still see the stain of tears on his face.

“Don’t worry… I just overreacted….” Tao said as he took a sit besides Sunmi.

“I might be intruding a little too much into your life, but….. Why are you so afraid of clowns?”

“Uhmmm…. We-”

“If you don’t want to tell me you don’t have to,” Sunmi quickly said, knowing how horrible it felt to be forced to tell something you didn’t want to.

“No don’t worry, at least I should explain why I acted like a crybaby in front of the girl I like shouldn’t I?” Tao said with a kind smile.

This made Sunmi blush *Even when he is awkward and shy around me, he doesn’t mind declaring he likes me, even with all these people around!* she thought.

Tao saw the pink on Sunmi’s cheeks, and smiled to himself.

“You see…. When I was a small child in China-”

“Oh, you are Chinese?” Sunmi interrupted.

“Yes, Luhan hyung, Lay hyung and Kris hyung as well. But anyways, it was my 4th birthday, and my mum made  huge party. She invited all my school friends, and prepared delicious food, as well as entertainments. There was a clown.

“By that time, I was already a little afraid of clown, I never understood why their skin was so unnaturally white, and their noses were so huge and red. But this on clown seemed to be kind enough.

“Suddenly, one of my friend, stomped on his foot without wanting to, and he just exploded. He started trashing things around, and destroyed my party, making all the guests go,” Tao finished his story.

“Oh, I see…. I am really sorry for doing what I did…..”

“Don’t worry, you didn’t know. And I am happy you cared enough to ask, now…. I didn’t have breakfast today because of Chen hyung and Baekhyun hyung’s prank with the clock, would you mind if I eat something?”

“Actually, I didn’t have much of an appetite today in the morning, so my stomach’s also empty, let’s eat something!”

Just then, Tao realized something. They were eating at the eatery that EXO ate at everything they were having a hard time as trainee, and instantly, his eyes started to fill with tears. As Sunmi was choosing what she would have, she heard Tao’s sobs.

She turned to see what it was, and saw him. She instantly thought it was her fault that he was crying, she hated to think that it was her fault that people cried, even if she didn’t like them much.

“Tao-shi, why are you like this, did I say something wrong again?” Sunmi asked.

“No, no…. I just thought of all the hardships we had to go through to be able to reach where we are now….. You know, when EXO was in their trainee days, every time we thought something was really difficult, we came here to have a snack after having a walk through the park right before going back to the dorm. Every time I come here, I can’t avoid tears gathering in my eyes.”

“Oh I see…”

Sunmi was starting to realize how sensible Tao was.

“Since you know this place so well, what do you recommend me to eat?” Sunmi asked, being somehow sweet, the first time Tao had ever seen her like that.

“The tteokbbeokki here is the best!” Tao smiled.

“Ok then, I think I am getting a plate of tteokbbeokki then. Ajhumma, could you please get us one,” Sunmi said turning to see Tao lifting 2 fingers, “actually, make it two plates of tteokbbeokki, please!!”

The ajhumma came back with 2 red plates. At the time, the eatery was totally empty since it was still not time for people to be having lunch. For the first time since Tao had met Sunmi, she saw her smile and laugh. Having a nice conversation with her.

Actually, for the time being, Sunmi had totally forgotten she was together with an EXO member, she just saw him as another friend she could spend time with. And this was only the beginning.

“Tao-shi! This flavor is incredible! It is almost as good as the one my omma cooks, one day I should invite you over to my house to try it!”

“See! I told you it was good!” Tao felt totally warm inside. He knew he had finally been able to cracked the cold outer shell Sunmi had, and was getting to know the real, sweet Sunmi.

They paid for the food, just as they were talking about what they should do next, Tao received a call. It was his manager, EXO was having an emergency schedule, so he had to go. Right at the moment when Tao’s phone started ringing, Sunmi came back to real life.

*Tao is an EXO member, I cannot, repeat, CANNOT become close with him!* and with that, the warm expression was washed off her face, and she came back to being the cold Sunmi.

“Sunmi, I need to go right now, I am really sorry!”

“You think I care whether you are here or not, I don’t even want to be here right now… Just go, you would be doing me a favor,” Sunmi coldly said.

Her words left Tao totally cold, and without another word, he just turned around, and ran back to the dorm, for the third time in the same day tears threatening to fall.