Strata

Ego
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The full-length mirror showing a girl with her hair curled at the bottom and with a little make up on her face that accentuates her facial fixtures. Her red Herve Ledger bodycon dress hugs her figure perfectly, showing curves in all the right places. Her long legs are exposed and her gold Giuseppe Zanotti heels sits on her feet nicely, as if it was sculptured just for her. Just by a simple glance, everyone would be jealous of her. Who is that girl, anyway? Oh right, it’s me!

 

I pick my trusted gold McQueen clutch and put all of my essentials before I head out of my walk in closet. My help has been waiting for me inside my room with my coat and some of my diamonds. She puts them on for me and nod appreciatively seeing their master looking at her best.

 

The Bentley is waiting in the lobby and I jump on it straight away. I nod to my driver and the car starts to move forward. My phone had been buzzing non-stop with people trying to know my where about. I know I’m supposed to be there at least an hour ago, but come on! I am always fashionably late!

 

After a mere 15 minutes, my car stops in front of a swanky new club in Hongdae. I’ve never been here before for it has only open for six months. I heard it’s the new ‘it’ place to hang out and get wasted but it’s not cool until I christen it. I expect the owner of the club would be on their knees when I enter.

 

Once I step out, I can hear murmur from the people who’s lining up in the general entry entrance. I walk straight towards the bouncer, uncaring about the stares people gives me. I’m used to it.

 

“Name, miss?” The girl holding a folder asks,

 

“Koo” I answer simply and just as I had expected, her eyes widens.

 

“Err… Err…” She flabbergasted and begins to mindlessly look through her list.

 

“Do you really have to check?” I look at her with one eyebrow raised.

 

“No… No… Of course not, Miss Koo… Welcome to NBTwo, Miss” She gestures the bouncer to let the rope off and let me in.

 

The club is indeed hip. I barely see any badly-dressed people inside. Most are drunks, obviously, but prettily dressed nonetheless. I see familiar faces on the dance floor, moving their body embarrassingly to the beat with sweat covering their faces. I would love to greet them, but not until they take a good long bath.

 

I make my way to the stairs, towards the second floor. I’ve never been to this place but I’ve been to fair amount of clubs that I know the one common thing they have: VVIP Room is always on the second floor.

 

As I reach the second floor, I hear muffled laughter and giggling from behind the big black door. In front of the room, stood a big bodyguard who guards the door as if his son’s life depends on it. I walk up to the man and stand in front of the door until he notices me.

 

“Miss Koo?” He his head, pressing the earpieace in his ears deeper, but instead of making the effort to actually answer with words, I raise my eyebrows.

 

He nods and opens the door behind him to let me in.

 

As soon as I step in, my best friends voice greets me.

 

“HYURI-AH!!!” She grabs me by the neck and swings me around, ignoring the stares people are giving us.

 

“You drunk?” I ask after my feet touch the floor again.

 

“Ani” She says, smiling dazedly.

 

“How many?” I don’t take her answer.

 

She raises her hand and folds 1 finger so that she’s showing 9 fingers in front of her face. 9 shots. It’s only been an hour and she already consumed 9 shots? Impressive.

 

“Come come! There are a lot of new faces I want to introduce to you!” She grabs my arms and I groan instinctively.

 

I hate new people. Nowadays, it feels like everyone can be a Socialite. Carry a Chanel? Bam! Socialite. Drives a Mercedes? Bam! Socialite. It’s a disgrace to us who are the true aristocrats, really. If it were that easy to be a true socialite, then I think by 2015, the whole Korean population would bear the title Socialite along with their degree.

 

Mika introduces me to some new people that I’ve never met and they begin to act as if they’ve known me forever. They joke, praise and even have the guts to occasionally my arm. I sit on the extended sofa along the wall of the room, trying to be polite. I entertain them, not wanting to show what I really feel. One thing a true socialite is good at is to cover our negative emotions.

 

“I heard you went to Chios last holiday?” A dude with a name I don’t bother to remember lean up towards me.

 

“Yes” I answer with a smile. Polite, Hyuri, polite.

 

“How did you go there? Boat? I heard planes are lacking there because of the economy” He obviously wanted to have a conversation with me. “My friend went up to Rhodes the other month and he said the flight was terrible... I mean even--”

 

“I used my jet” I interrupt him before he finished and it successfully clams him up.

 

Mika comes up to the table again and I pray internally that she is here to save me from these wannabes. My patience has been tested and I’m sure that it would snap if it were to be used again. She had left me earlier when a guy come up behind her and whisper her something that made her giggled.

 

“Hyuri-ah!! I forgot to introduce you to the other people!!” She shrieks excitedly.

 

Other people? I look around the room and soon realize that the VVIP Room is bigger that it seems. It extends further back with more seats and table at the end. I see silhouettes of people sitting in that area. It’s darker and more secluded.

 

I stand up, bow respectfully to the wannabes and follow giggling Mika. She tugs my hand so that I walk quicker. Damn her and alcohol. It’s never a good mix.

 

“Hey guys!” Mika yells once we are at the back of the room. The darkness makes it hard to identify the faces.

 

“This is my best friend, Hyuri!!” She gestures me as if she’s introducing a new artist to stage. Everyone’s eyes are on me now but it feels slightly uncomfortable knowing that I can’t see them as clearly.

 

“Hyuri-ah! This is choiceyanggaenghyuksooseunghyunkyungiljiyongyoungbae” She says in one breath.

 

I step closer towards the crowd and notice men are sitting on the sofa with beer and vodka and few other alcohol on their table. Their a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter