New World

Ego
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The time is ticking three in the afternoon and I am fixing my outfit in front of my full-length mirror. I never get bored of what I’m seeing reflected back at me; long legs, slender body and shining dark hair. The outfit that I wore always fit flawlessly on my perfectly sculptured body.

 

I am going to attend Chey’s tea party this afternoon with Mika as my date. She’s late, as always, but I don’t fuss much about it. For some reason, I’m not looking forward to this event. I know it will be filled with chaebols from different company, so why am I not excited?

 

Nevertheless, I dress up as a Koo. I wear Dolce & Gabbana's white lace dress that is beautifully adorned with pastel flowers and printed silk appliqués. It is sleeveless but showing not much skin. It’s sophisticated and perfectly suited for a tea party. I put on my Oscar de la Renta gold earrings, Gianvito Rossi red suede pointed pump and Bottega Veneta knot clutch in smoke-grey satin to finish off my outfit.

 

 

A soft knock on my door stops me from adoring my reflection. I turn at my door and see my maid is peeking nervously at me.

 

“M-miss…” She stutters.

 

“Speak” I order.

 

“Lady Koo is waiting for you at the library”

 

“Now?”

 

“Yes, Miss” She bows before excusing herself.

 

I walk towards the reading room where my mother spends most of her time whenever she’s at home. My mother, a well-educated woman from a well-known family, has been fond of reading since she was young. She is smart, sophisticated and completely represents what LG is.

 

I open the door slowly and see my mother lounging elegantly on the long white sofa with a book at hand. She seems to be fully immersed to what she’s reading that she doesn’t realize that I’m already in the room. Her delicate features put the whole room of Victorian antiques to shame.

 

“You were looking for me?” My voice breaks the tranquility of the room.

 

My mother looks up and her face brightens once she sees me. “Hyuri-ah”

 

“Yes, mother” I walk closer and sits next to her.

 

“I forgot to tell you about tomorrow” She says, closing down her book.

 

“What about tomorrow?”

 

“We have a gala for good cause” She says, fixing my hair to the back of my ears.

 

“Oh okay. I’ll make sure I empty my night for tomorrow”

 

She smiles, “That’s not the whole thing, darling”

 

“Huh?” I frown.

 

“You need a date for the night”

 

“A date?”

 

“Don’t worry about it though. Do you remember Junsu?”

 

I froze. That name. I can’t believe I hear that name again. After so many years, why is that name has to come back haunting me?

 

“He got back from Australia. He had finished his degree and he asked me yesterday if he could take you as a date to tomorrow’s event” My mother continues.

 

“HE WHAT?!” I lost my composure, hearing the news from my mother.

 

“Is everything alright, dear?” My mother looks concern.

 

I chuckle nervously, forgot that I have to keep my poise in front of my mother. “Oh it’s nothing omma… I was just surprised that he still remembers me after all this time”

 

She smiles warmly, “yes, he was all grown up, dear. Shall I accept his offer on your behalf?”

 

“Do you think that’s wise?” I ask, not wanting to object my mother’s decision.

 

“Very much. He is a good boy, from what I heard”

 

“Well then…” I don’t want to say yes, but I don’t want to object my mother’s decision.

 

A faint knock on the door and my maid peeks in before she bows respectfully. “Juisonghabnida. Miss Jung is here”

 

“The tea party?” My mother asks me.

 

“Ne”

 

“Go then. I notice you are running late” She dismisses me with a warm smile.

 

I hug her goodbye before I walk out the room, grab my clutch and head to the lobby where Mika’s red sleek Lamborghini waits. She’s behind the wheel, which means that today must be one of her good mood days. She honks me when I reach the door to hurry me. I can see her giggling cheerfully inside the car as I make my way to her red beauty.

 

“What’s the occasion?” I put on my seatbelt.

 

“Can’t a girl just wake up one day and decides to drive without the need to give any explanation to her best friend?” She roars her engine.

 

“Nope”

 

She chuckles as her car make its way out of my driveway. “The weather is nic

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter