Unexpected

Ego
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I stare at the stacked boxes for a good 5 minutes. This expensive gift must be from a chaebol. A gift of jewelry is always from a male. I am not close with a lot of male chaebols lately; only long-term friends or childhood buddies. I’ve kicked any suitors to the curb the moment they tell me their intentions. So this gift, this expensive gift, must be from Junsu.

 

Finally, I brace myself and pick up the folded note.

 

I miss you.

Call me.

 

Han Junsu

 

A simple, straightforward message that could lead any reader of this note to think that there is a romantic link between this Han Junsu and I. What is he thinking, sending me this?! I thought I made it clear to him that I have no intention of having any romantic relationship with him?? I’m sure I’ve told him that I don’t want him to…

 

Wait.

 

Now that I think about it… I haven’t told him anything. Damn.

 

I reach down to the boxes and untie the bow. One by one, I open each red box, surprised with each piece that lies beautifully inside. He had given me Cartier Panthere diamond collection with blue sapphires here and there. Necklace, bangle and the ring. All of them are in my possession.

 

 

I the beautiful stones on the bangle, enjoying the roughness of the diamonds that decorates the whole bangle. I already have my own Panthere collection but this one is the new season, which I haven’t had the time to check. I love it, the striking shine from the diamonds and the depth of the sapphire. This is so me.

 

I put the bangle on, before I take out the necklace. The intricacy of the design stuns me. The elegance of the necklace oozes out without being too flashy. The blue demands attention but the diamonds eventually takes the limelight. I put it on and surprised how the necklace falls perfectly on me. It’s as if it was created for me.

 

Last, I put on the ring. I’ve had the similar one, but in gold. This one matches perfectly with the bangle and I can already picture myself wearing them to galas and charities events. Oh I just simply adore these pieces!

 

I hear a faint knock behind me before my maid speaks up, “Miss, Lady Koo is waiting”

 

I didn’t realize how long it took for me to adore the new pieces I got from Junsu. I was too stupefied by the jewelries’ beauties that I forgot the time. I haven’t wash up, like my mother wanted me too but I am too excited for my gift that I rush out my room without thinking.

 

“Mother!!” I call for her as I rush to the dining room, “Look what Junsu got me!”

 

She looks at me with her warmest smile, noticing the bling that I have on around my neck, my wrist and my finger. “It looks beautiful, dear”

 

“It’s the newest collection of Cartier Panthere, mother!” I exclaim as I take a seat in front of her.

 

She looks at my necklaces, “It suits you perfectly”

 

“I know, right?” I the pieces as I let my mother adore them. “I haven’t had the time to check their catalogue, then BAM! Junsu got them for me!”

 

She chuckles, seeing me so excited. “Was Junsu with you yesterday?”

 

“Huh? Uh… No, he wasn’t”

 

“Ah…” She nods, “No wonder he misses you”

 

I blush immediately, “You read the note??”

 

“Of course I did” She smiles teasingly, “I had to check who send you gifts, right?”

 

“But it wasn’t like that, mother…” I begin to play with my napkin. “We are just friends”

 

“Have you called him?” My mother asks.

 

“No… I haven’t had the chance”

 

“Call him, then” She says, handing me her phone.

 

“What?” I look at her phone in bewilderment. She wants me to call him now??

 

“It’s rude not to thank people who gave you gifts, dear” She places her phone in front of me.

 

I sigh before I pick it up. What my mother wants me to do, I have to do them. No questions asked.

 

I look for Junsu’s number and somehow already expected that his number would already be in my mother’s contact. I press dial and places the phone to my ear with my mother watching me intently. I can almost see her excitement bubbling behind her eyes.

 

“Yeobuseyo” He answers.

 

“Junsu-ah” I greet him, letting him know that it’s not my mother who called him.

 

“Hyuri?” He asks, unsure and partly surprise.

 

“Ne~ Listen, I just got your gift. Thank you so much, Junsu-ah. They’re beautiful.” I thank him immediately.

 

“Ah… jinjja? You like them?” He says, elated.

 

“Of course. I love it!”

 

“I am so glad…”

 

“I am wearing them now” I say as I my necklace again.

 

“Jinjja?? Can I see it? Take a photo of it!” He says excitedly.

 

“Ah… I left my phone in my room. I’ll take a picture of it when I can”

 

“No wonder you call with your mother’s phone. So I assume you’re at home now?”

 

“Yeah… I’m sorry about earlier, Junsu-ah… I didn’t hang up on you. It was--”

 

“I don’t want to know” He cuts me. “I’m glad you like my gift, though”

 

“Eh? Errr… Yeah… I love it. Thank you” I stutter, surprise by his sudden harshness.

 

“Can I see you today?” He asks.

 

“Today? I’m pretty tired, though…” I stir the water in my glass.

 

“I want to see you wearing the gift that I gave you in flesh”

 

“Umm… Just let me rest a bit… I’ll call you if I’m all freshed up” I look to my mother and see her eyebrows meeting in the middle. “Listen, Junsu… I’m having lunch with my mother now, can I call you later?”

 

“Oh! Okay, sure… Say hi to your mother for me, okay?” He says. His voice is warming.

 

“Yeah, okay. Annyeong. Again, thank you” I say before I hang up the phone.

 

I hand back the phone to my mother who accepts it with a frown. She checks her phone for a second before she places it down next to her on the table. She then faces me with expression full of questions.

 

“What are we having for lunch?” I ask, somehow wanting to take the topic away from Junsu and the gift he gave me.

 

“Salmon” She answers curtly, “Tell me, dear. Did Junsu asked to meet you?”

 

Damn it. I can never change the topic when my mother is already decided. “Errr... yeah”

 

“And you declined?” She asks, as if it’s the mos

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter