Return

Ego
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

HYURI POV

The birds are singing but I hear no melody. The sun is shining, but there is no light. No food can be consumed but I was never hungry. People are surrounding me, but I never felt more alone. Since he left, nothing makes sense.

Three different guards were assigned to ensure my safety and two doctors were called in to check my health. All of them were planned by my parents for my wellbeing, but the thing that they don't know is that only one man is needed to shatter everything.

They didn't lock me in my room, they didn't stop me from doing anything. But five suited up agents are stationed on the entrance and two in every access to the house making sure that I don't go out of my way.

I am like a dried up river. Once vibrant and energetic, but no longer alive.

His last phone call was the last straw for me. The way he said his apology, I immediately knew what he wanted to say. He's leaving me, and there was nothing that I could do to stop him. We were silent on the phone, only the cracks of our heart can be heard. He would occasionally hiccuped and wildly shouted, but no words were exchanged. In that long deadly silence, fatigue took me over. And once I woke up, he was no longer there.

His number is no longer in use.

I've tried.

I've searched.

But he's gone.

Day 18. Still no news from him. All I did was searching through the media, looking for traces of him, of where he went, of how he looked. I had to be satisfied with the smile he flashed to the camera, though I know that it is not the the same smile as the one he gave to me.

Does he miss me? Does he still remember me? Doesn't he want to know if i'm alive or not? Maybe he doesn't care anymore. Maybe he couldn't be bothered. Why would he be when all those beautiful models and celebrities are salivating over him.

Oh no.

Am I being jealous of celebrities? Is that how low i've gone after he left? Such a disgrace.

What grace am I talking about anyway? I have been cocooned inside my blanket for two days straight with no food nor shower. No grace in that.

I jump out of my safety fort and stare at my reflection. Long slender legs & white porcelain skin. My hair still gloss and my nails still well trimmed. But now, my cheeks are hollowed, my hair are tangled, and my eyes are dead. I am now a pretty empty vase, with nothing inside.

My tummy grumbles, a sign that I physically need food, but mentally, I vomit at the thought.

I make my way to the bathroom and shower. The constant stream of the water that falls on my head clears up my mind a little. Maybe I do need a little food. After all, the last thing I ate was an Oreo and that was two days ago. But when I think of food, I think of him. Has he eaten? Is he well?

I put on a random jeans and pulled out an old university winter sweater that my brother used to wear. The comfort and warmth are somehow not welcomed on my body. I'm now used to the cold, both inside and out.

I step out of my room after two weeks of solitude in my personal cave. The world feels strange. Has my house always been this big? Why do we need it this big? With my brother living in his own apartment, there are only my parents and I in this main house. Do we need this much space?

The house feels familiarly empty. It's dark outside but it's not the time for both my parents to be home yet. In this Friday night, there's a lot that my parents have to do. Charities, galas, meetings, parties. If you're a Koo, you're a guest of honor and guest of honor don't turn down invites.

I step out of the house and all five agents jump out in surprise. Once they see me, i notice their rigid stance. I know that they are bewildered.

I continue my journey as I step out, heading towards the gate. Surprisingly, none of the guards follow, but i feel their gaze follow my every breath. The walk to the gate was long. Our house is indeed large. Do we really need a front yard this big?

As I reached the gate, another two agents stand up. Looking as shocked as the other five, they keep their silence. I open the gate slowly, using the last bit of strength that I have, and pulled the gate open. It is then that the agents finally make a move, one of them hold the gate in place, while the other makes his way in front of me.

"Miss. Where would you like to go?" The agent asks as he stands in front of me.

"I want to eat" I croak. Having cried for two weeks straight, my vocal cord must be close to non existent now.

"Is the food in the house not to your liking?"

"I'm sure they're exceptional. But they're not the ones I'm looking for" I reply.

"The staff could surely cook up what you want, miss" the agent tries to smile, maybe to calm me, but who knows.

I smile in return. "I'm sure they couldn't"

As the agent sizing my intention, I notice the stationed taxi just on the curb of the street. Possibly resting or waiting for a passenger.

I return my gaze to the agent who is blocking my way out. I stare at him, wishing that he would understand me, empathize and let me leave. He stares back with a deadpan eyes, wanting to win this stare-down but slowly, his eyes falters. His eyes soon shake and in his orbs, I see a flashes of pity with a hint of fear.

"Please, let me breathe" I beg, and as if on cue, he shifted and make way for me.

Before I let anyone stop me, I run to the taxi and jump in. I shout and the driver jump in his seat.

"Sir, get me out of here!" I instruct.

The driver panics and the agents start to gather to the gate and chase after me.

"Now!!" I scream before the car lunges forward into full speed.

 

***


GD POV
Words, words, and more meaningless words. That's all I've been hearing lately. From words of insult to words of support, I take them all in, but they mean nothing to me. Some try to push me further down, but those who understand, tries to cheer me up. Though nothing can help me.

Nothing can pull me out of this endless midnight.

I continue working, I conti

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter