Pride

Ego
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Hello there.

 

My name is Koo Hyu Ri.

 

I am 22 years old, born in 1990 in New York City, USA.

 

Am I an American, you asked?

 

No, I am a pure blood Korean but back then my mother felt that the technology in USA was much more advance than Korea can offers so she simply spent the last 3 months before labor in the country just to receive the western treatment. Simple, right?

 

I am the second child of the LG Empire and on top of that, I am the only daughter. Since I was young, I bathe in gold, literally. Nothing is too expensive and nothing is too much. What I want, I get. The fact that my body can support all of those expensive items increases my tendency to bathe myself with luxuries. To help you picture myself, let me give a slight description about me.

 

I have the whitest skin that you can almost see my blood flowing through my veins. I have the softest hair that a slight breeze would cause my strands dancing. I am a size 6, skinny, but I have the right fat at the right place, if you know what I mean. Simply put, I am close to perfection.

 

I am currently studying in Princeton University majoring in English literature but let me clarify myself before you to get the wrong idea. I am not smart. Princeton let me in not because of my grades, no, my grades were stink. Princeton owes it big to my late grandfather who invested large sum of cash to help them build some of the buildings. So they have no choice but to accept me when I stubbornly apply.

 

I wanted Princeton not because of the fact that it’s an Ivy League university and that it would open up more paths for employment. Pft, no. What employment? I don't need to work for the rest of my life. I chose it because of my status. An Koo study in an unknown university? What would the world say?

 

I've been studying in New Jersey for 2 years but I don't think any of the knowledge that they're trying to feed me with stays in my brain. I spent most of my days playing and wasting time. I barely pass my subjects with some money sometimes sneaked in my professor's pocket to help me boost my marks.

 

I don't really care the bribery that they sometimes ask from me, though. They need it, and I have too much to throw away freely. So, why not? It's a win win situation.

 

Now we are currently on our winter break and I am sitting in my suite in Singapore Airlines flight to Gimpo Airport. It's been a year since I last return to Seoul. I had summer break in the middle of the year but instead of going home, I travel around europe with my friends. Why would you waste your youth in Seoul anyway?

 

"Would you like any snacks, miss Koo?" The stewardess smiles at me.

 

"No thanks, Seohee. I'm on a diet" I answer uninterestedly, flicking through the in flight movies.

 

"Diet, Miss?? But you're stick thin!" She shrieks.

 

"It's holiday season, Seohee-ah. I want to fit in my dresses" I wink at her, making her chuckle.

 

"He must be a lucky guy, Miss Koo" She says.

 

I smirk, "There's no he, Seohee-ah. Do I have to have a reason to want to look perfect?"

 

She startles, "eh? Uh.. No, miss, of course not"

 

"Thought so" I reply and close the door in her face. Ugh, annoying.

 

Where was I? Oh right. Last summer I travel around Europe from Greece all the way up to France. It's not like I've never been there, of course I have. But I'd take Europe over Seoul any day.

 

So why am I coming back? Well it's Christmas season! Of course I have to go back to party with my friends. Okay, okay, spending time with my family would be nice too.

 

Finally, the pilot announces our upcoming landing. I stay lounging on my seat, not caring about the instruction that the voice is telling me. I've been on planes far too often that I can recite the words.

 

It wasn't until the stewardess comes knocking on my door to tell me about the landing that I am forced to pull my seat up and open my window. I groan as the sun seeps into my suite. I hadn't notice that it's morning for I've been closing the window since the plane takes off.

 

The stewardess hands me my Goyard small suitcase and my Burberry Prorsum coat and help me ease out the creases on my white Balmain pants. I pick up my Boy Chanel bag from my hand rest and follow the alley towards the exit of the aircraft.

 

As I reach immigration area, a man with uniform is waiting for me. I strut my way towards him and hand him my passport without saying a word. He bows a 90 degree before he escorts me out. People stare as I skip the line and ignore the immigration process completely. Do they think I'm a type of girl who waits in line?

 

Another man stands waiting for near the conveyor belt with trolleys in hand. I give him my ticket and he is gone as soon as the ticket reaches his palm. The earlier man gestures me to follow him out and I simply follow him as he takes me towards a black Marcedes S class series with highly tinted windows.

 

I step in the car and my driver smiles welcomingly at me. Naturally, I smile back. He is the only one of our help that I actually respect. Well, him and my nanny. Both of them had work for my family even before I was born. I regard them as family despite the fact that they wear uniform.

 

"How was the flight, Miss?" He asks.

 

"It was okay" I answer, pulling out my bling-ed out iPhone 5 from my bag.
Once I turn it on, my phone doesn't stop vibrating. Texts, missed calls, email are all swarming into my phone all at once. I guess the news about my arrival has gone to everyone ears.

 

I read a message from my childhood friend.

 

From: Jung Mi Ka

You arrived yet? Call me!

 

I smile upon reading the message. I had been friends with her since I start walking. She's the sister I never had and I am thankful that she's around even though I know I don't show my gratefulness enough. I'm sure she knows anyway.

 

I press call and place the phone to my ear. I wait and after the third ring, another voice rings from the other end.

 

"HyuRi-ah!!!" She chimes loudly.

 

I chuckle. "Ya! You're too noisy!"

 

She giggles and lower her volume, "So little miss royalty is in Seoul now?"

 

"Yes. Why didn't I see any red carpet at the airport, huh?" I joke.

 

"It wasn't there? Huh, I guess the help forgot" She follows, make both of us laugh.

 

"So listen" she says after we both finish with our giggling, "there's a party tonight. In or out?"

 

"Huh" I scoffs, "I've only landed and you want me to party straight away?"

 

"As if you would reject party invitation" she sneers.

 

I laugh, she knows me too well, "okay, text me time and place!"

 

"Cool! See you soon!" She chirps before we hang the phone.

 

I see outside and porters already struggling to put my luggage into the trunk of my car. Aish, commoners. They don't know how much are those Louis Vuitton luggage that they toss it around as if it costs as little as a Samsonite.

 

"Careful with the luggages, guys" My driver says through his rolled window.

 

The car finally moves after my four luggage are secured inside the car. I look out the window into the autumn sky. It's gloomy and cold, as if they hated my arrival. Suddenly, my phone rings.

 

"Yeobuseyo" I answer without looking the caller ID.

 

"You've arrived kid?" My brother voice greets me from the other end.

 

"Yes, brother" I answer in English.

 

"Listen to you! You sound like a New Yorker!" He says.

 

I roll my eyes, "you always say that"

 

"That's because you sound better every time" He praises.

 

"Not because of school, that's for sure" I mutter.

 

He chuckles, caught my mumbling but decide to ignore it. "Want to have brunch with yours truly?"

 

I take out my compact mirror and check myself. "Okay" I decide after seeing my face is still fre

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter