42: Then He Woke Up

My SLY Fox

 

--Jonghyun's POV--

'I promise that you'll see me when you wake up... '

A soft voice kept on recalling in my mind and saying those same words over and over again. At first, I don't know who owns that voice. All I know is that it's too good and I want to keep on hearing those words. But as moments pass, I have familiarized myself already to that voice and made a realization that it actually belongs to someone that I've been wanting to see since this long and dark dream started.

'Yerin...'

I tried to call her name but it just came out as a thought because I can't even control my mouth to open.

'I promise that you'll see me when you wake up...'

As those words kept on repeating in my mind. I felt a stronger urge to move. I wanted to move to reach her even though I'm not sure where exactly she is. I tried my hardest to feel my own body... and as I try I started hearing more noises. Noises that I haven't heard for a long time. Then little by little, everything is being bright and I can see figures walking around.

Y-yah...”, I heard a weak voice and I realized that it was mine. I succeeded on my attempt on moving my lips and calling someone's attention.

The first person that I saw is noona who held my hand right after I spoke.

You're awake!”, she shouted with a big smile.

Four boys came beside me and looked at me, also with big smiles on their faces.

Finally, you're already awake!”, Onew grabbed my other hand and squeezed it.

Noona hugged me and it took a while for me to feel it because my senses are just starting to get back. Then I heard sobs from her.

Yah...Why are you crying?”, I asked in a very weak voice but I managed to smile.

She chuckled, wiped her tears then lightly slapped my chest.

You! You slept too much.”, she said.

I let out a week chuckle then turned my head to the boys. The first that caught my attention is Key's unexplainable face that is about to cry.

You're crying too?”, I told him but he just chuckled.

Key hyung is too emotional.”, Taemin commented

Welcome back hyung.”, Minho said and shook my hand.

Thanks.”

Wait. I gotta call umma and appa to tell you're already awake.”, Noona hurriedly grabbed her phone ad excused herself.

I looked at each of them but suddenly I remembered the thing that made me wake up. It's Yerin's voice that made me want to open my eyes and move my body. I looked around but she's not there.

Where's Yerin?”, I asked excitedly to them.

They suddenly went quiet and looked at each other. They were talking to each other with their eyes but I can't understand what they were trying to say.

Hey... I'm asking where's Yerin.”, I repeated.

Uhmm...”, Onew hyung started. “S-she... she needs to go because... because she's trying to catch up in school. You know, she's been staying here with you and she sometimes misses her classes.”

Aw. You should have not let her miss her classes...”, my mood fell down a bit because I didn't see Yerin.

But she'll be here, right?”, I asked with excitement.

They all looked again with each other before answering me.

Y-yes... Let's just wait for her after she's done catching up with her lessons.”, Onew hyung answered.

Suddenly, he has became the spokesperson for the boys. I can feel something weird but I didn't pay much attention to it. Maybe it's just because my mind and body is still adjusting from my long sleep. And besides, I still feel so weak and I wanted to rest again.

Umma and appa will be here soon.”, noona said when she came back.

I nodded. “I wanted to rest again.”

Okay. We'll go out for a while so you could rest. Just call us if you need something.”, noon said.

I nodded then watched as they walk out of the room. Instead of closing my eyes, I looked around the room. They must have spent a lot of time here in the hospital while taking care of me, specially noona, based on her things that is also in that room. My eyes went on the bedside table were there were fruits, flowers and other stuffs. Then a pink, heart shaped sticky note stuck on the flower vase caught my attention. I carefully stretched my arm and reached for it.

'Yeobo... You must be awake by this time. You slept for too long -____-” But it's okay, at least you had your rest. Get well soon, okay? Recover fast. Eat a lot, don't be stubborn. Eat more fruits too. Drink your medicines on time.

Sorry... Please don't be mad at me. I'm really really sorry.

-Yerin'

I smiled when I saw from whom that note came from. I can't understand why is she saying sorry and why does that note has a sad aura but I just didn't mind it. Though I'm feeling a bit sulky that she's not here when I woke up, like the promise that I believe I heard when I was sleeping, I know she'll be here soon. I'll see her again and she's going to take care of me.

 

--Yerin's POV--

The call ringtone of my phone is continuously ringing but I held back myself from picking it up and after the ring has stopped, messages kept on coming in. This has been my phone's activity for a couple of days since I made that decision. It's either unni, one of the four boys or Jonghyun is making my phone ring.

Yes, Jonghyun is already awake. Unni called me last day and she was excitedly telling me to come to the hospital because he's looking for me. I got very happy when I found out that news but after a few seconds of joy, my heart just broke into pieces, again.

After that, I didn't answer any calls from any of them because it's just making me feel more guilty. And that guilt feeling rose more when Jonghyun started contacting me. I think he still doesn't have any idea of what I did because the messages that he sends me all contains words expressing how much he misses me and how much he wanted to see me.

When my phone got silent, I slowly reached for it and read the messages.

[FROM: Sodam Unni^^]

Yerin are you busy? I hope you could visit Jonghyun here at the hospital before he got discharged. He's looking for you.

 

'So unni doesn't know yet either', I thought

I silently thanked the boys for not telling it to them yet, specially to Jonghyun. He's still recovering and I don't know if it would be good if he would hear something bad like that.

The next messages that I opened was from the oppas. They're still asking me to explain and keeps on begging me to stop whatever I am thinking and just come over. If only they know how I wanted to come and check how was Jonghyun's condition but I can't. It won't do any better.

I hesitated to open the next messages, knowing that it's from Jonghyun. Just by looking at his name on my phone screen it's already causing me to cry. Most of the texts were from him so one by one, I read it while holding my heart.

[FROM: Babo Jonghyun <3]

They told me you're busy that's why you aren't coming. I understand that. I'll wait for you to come. :) I love you.

***

I miss you. I hope to see you here soon...

***

Why aren't you answering my calls? I wanted to talk to you. Please answer.

***

Yerin, are you mad at me or something? I'm sorry, if we argued last time. Let's talk about it. Please find time to come here. I badly wanted to see you. Please come here...

 

Those messages and more... I didn't have much strength left so I didn't attempted to read the other texts. I put my phone away and curled myself up on my bed, crying so loud while hugging my knees. Guilt is seriously eating me and I miss him too but what can I do? Like what Jisoo said, this is the last thing that I could do good to him, to let him experience something better that what he has with me.

He did it again. He said sorry even though it's not his fault. I can't take it and it's making me realize more that everything Jisoo had said is all true. But she forgot to mention one thing.

I remembered those moments when he's almost begging for my attention and affection because her girlfriend is so damn cold. He's now begging again, begging for my attention and care but I can't give it to it right now, or maybe even on some other time.

My sobs got louder as I lay down on my bed, remembering those things that is impossible for us to do together anymore and it's all my fault. I fell asleep with wet eyes and the words 'I'm sorry' repeatingly running in my mind.

 

--Author's POV--

Sodam suspiciously looked at the four boys gathered around Jonghyun's bed. She was just quietly listening to their conversation. As usual, Jonghyun is asking again about Yerin and they are trying their best to explain everything to him. But she found their explanations suspicious and she knows something fishy is happening here.

Hey boys, can I talk to you for a while?”, Sodam called them.

They looked at each other and went to her. She lead them outside the room and have them lined in front of her. She was just eyeing at them but they were folding in fear.

I know you guys know something.”, Sodam said.

W-what do you mean noona?”, Onew stuttered while avoiding her eyes.

She brought her hands on her waist and raised an eyebrow.

You're being suspicious lately and I can notice it. Does it have something to do about Yerin's sudden disappearance? Because first, you're explanation to Jonghyun is quite unstable everytime he asks and second, I don't believe Yerin would be that super busy to not visit Jonghyun here. It's impossible.”

They didn't answer immediately and just kept on conversing with their eyes or bumping onto each other's shoulder. But when Sodam coughed loud to call their attention, it's Key who ended up talking for them.

Okay noona. First, we wanted to say sorry for keeping this. We just don't know what to do and second, even us can't understand the whole situation so this explanation might be unclear...”, he paused and breathed deeply.

Yerin really left and I think it's for good. We saw her crying the last time she was here and the thing she kept on saying is that she's leaving for Jonghyun's good.”, he said.

We didn't really understand her reason but we think she's blaming herself for what happened that's why she left.”, Minho added.

It took moments before she can completely absorb and understand what they said. She had it confirmed, there's something wrong going on. Yerin isn't the type who would just leave like that.

And why didn't you tell it to me?”

Because noona begged us not to tell.”, Taemin answered, facing the floor.

Sodam sighed. “Why do you keep lying to Jonghyun. You know sooner or later he'll find out that Yerin left.”

Jonghyun is still recovering and it won't help him if he heard this.”, Onew said.

She closed her eyes and held her forehead. She have found out too much but there's one thing in her mind that is surely the right thing to do.

This won't do. You all go in.”, She said, opened the door and pushed them all in.

Noona...”, they all whined and called with helpless eyes.

Jonghyun looked at them with confusion, totally clueless of what's happening.

Tell him! He needs to know it. He'll find it out too sooner or later.”, she commanded them.

Hey, what's going on? What are you talking about?”, Jonghyun asked shifting his eyes from his noona and each of the boys.

She glared at the boys and they were left with no choice but to spill it all out. This time, being the eldest, Onew is the spokesperson again.

Jonghyun, about Yerin...”, he started.

Jonghyun's eyes glowed upon hearing Yerin's name. Excitement and happiness rose on him but there's also a hint of fear that he can't understand why he's feeling.

What about her? Is she here already?”, he asked.

The people around him looked at each other again before proceeding again.

Listen... Yerin... We don't think she'd be coming anymore...”, Onew said those words even it so hard to make it come out from .

~~~~~~~~~~~~

How is it going?
I am sorry if it didn't touch your heart and didn't meet your expectations.

Oh well, he already woke up. HE DIDN'T HAVE AMNESIA, so you guys can relax. ^^

READ, COMMENT, SUBSCRIBE AND VOTE ^-^