12: My Fault

My SLY Fox

 

--Yerin’s POV—

“Yerin!”, I heard someone called me when me and Yeonmi were about to go out of the classroom after the first period of class ended.

I turned around and I saw Key approaching.

“Yerin, the project is great. But I’m sorry Jonghyun came yesterday instead of Onew hyung. I really asked Onew hyung to come but, you know how stubborn Jonghyun is.”, Key explained.

“It’s alright. At leasr we finished the project and Jonghyun behaved a bit yesterday.”, I chuckled.

“I’m really sorry that I couldn’t come to help you.”

“I said it’d okay. It’s done so you don’t have to worry anymore.”, I lightly tapped his cheeks.

He chuckled. “Okay. I’ll go now and find the boys. See you later.”, he waved his hands and walked away.

Yeonmi giggled but when I looked at her, she quickly hid her smile and act innocently.

“Hey you. Don’t pretend innocent. I know you left early yesterday because you know Jonghyun is coming.”, I told Yeonmi.

She shrugged. “I don’t know what you are talking about. Uhmm… Let’s just go and watch the soccer practice.” She squealed on her last sentence.

She seemed excited.

“You’re always watching soccer practice and yet, you still get so excited.”, I raised an eyebrow at her.

“Jinyoung just got in the soccer team and today is his first practice. I can’t miss it so let’s go!”, she squealed again and dragged me out to the school fields.

We hurriedly went to the stair benches for seats. I was about to sit on a higher spot but Yeonmi said that she wanted to sit to a nearer spot so she could watch his boyfriend better. We sat on the second level of the stair bench and it’s really near to the players.

As expected and as usual, she’d always squeal and cheer, not only for her boyfriend but also for Minho, who is also there, and for random players. I have no choice but to watch the practice even though I’m not that interested to it.

A few moments later, when I’m starting to get concentrated on watching, I got startled when someone from behind me covered my eyes.

“Guess who~”, that someone said.

I already know that it’s Jonghyun, based on his voice, of course, and he’s the only one who would dare to do such thing.

“Take it off.”, I bluntly commanded.

“Guess first.”

“It’s so hard. I don’t even have a clue on who you are.”, I said in a sarcastic but cold tone while trying to unattach his hands on my eyes but I can’t take it off.

“Clue. I’m your soon-to-be boyfriend.”

“Just take it off Kim Jonghyun!”, I yelled and strongly pulled his hands away from me face.

He took it off and quickly sat beside me.

“HA! It came directly from you. I just said ‘soon-to-be boyfriend’ then you yelled my name.”, He grinned.

“Stop it. It’s not funny.”

“I’m not trying to be funny though.”, he pouted.

I rolled my eyes and look at the three other boys whom I just notice that are there.

“It’s hard to believe that you two last a day together yesterday.”, Onew said, chucklinh.

“Onw hyung. All that happened yesterday, it’s all your fault.”, Key glared at Onew then he turned to me.

“Yerin, I just found out something.”, Key said.

“What?”

“This hyung here made a deal with that Jonghyun there yesterday that’s why Jonghyun came instead of him. Onew hyung betrayed you for buckets of chicken.”, Key threw a quick glare to Jonghyun and Onew.

Onew quickly went in front of me and bowed.

 “I’m really sorry Yerin. His offer is really tempting.”

I giggled at his cuteness. “It’s okay oppa. It’s already done and I’m happy for you and your chickens.”

“I’s sure my help is much more effective than Onew hyung’s help that’s why we finished it nicely.”, Jonghyun said.

I just glared at him, again, and ignored him.

“You’re always watching soccer practice. Are you interested to the game or to the players?”, Jonghyun asked, pouting.

“None of your business.”, I said not even looking at him.

“Actually, I just dragged her here. I’m the one who wanted to watch it.”, Yeinmi explained and I don’t know why she has to do that.

“I knew it. You’re not going to be interested to anyone else because you’re loyal to me.”, he proudly said.

“Stop talking, will you?”, I irritably commanded.

“You know, hyung? It’s so hard to believe that you had a normal talk yesterday.”, Taemin said.

“But we really had… Oh wait. Aren’t we sitting too close from the field? It’s a bit dangerous.”

I just ignored him and continue watching the game. Everything was okay until I saw a ball approaching to me, and it’s going to hit my head.

Luckily, Jonghyun pulled me sideward to dodge the ball. I saw it pass beside my head and hit the bench behind me. I felt the whole stair bench vibrated on the ball hit, indicating how powerful it was.

“I told you.”, Jonghyun fixed my hair away from my face after throwing the ball back to the players.

I blinked a few times to recover myself from the shock. But before I could react, I saw another ball flying towards me.

It was like flying in slow motion, though I know it’s not, but I can’t move my body. All I can do is close my eyes and prepare myself for the impact. But a few seconds had passed, I haven’t felt any pain yet and instead on my own wail, I heard groans and wails from someone like he was in pain. I also felt a weight leaning against my body.

I slowly opened my eyes and saw Jonghyun over me.

“Jonghyun…”, I mumbled, still on shock and can’t even process what really happened.

“Hyung!”

“Jonghyun!”

The boys called him and quickly went to us. They held Jonghyun, lift him from leaning over me and made him sit, but more likely lying.

Jonghyun kept on groaning, yelping and wailing. His face was crumpled while he was holding his shoulder. And that’s when I got to finally understand what happened.

Jonghyun covered me with his body and the ball hit his shoulder and now he’s in pain.

I immediately went beside him.

“jonghyun!”, I called him, starting to panic.

“Minho and the other soccer players went to check what happened. Then Jonghyun slowly stopped from wailing and went unconscious. The boys hurriedly but carefully picked him up to bring to the clinic.

----

I am sitting beside the clinic bed where Jonghyun is sleeping. I am the only on there because the others needed to go to their classes again. I just volunteered to watch over Jonghyun while he’s still unconscious. He got hurt because of me and I’m feeling guilty about it.

I saw his fingers move and his eyelids were slowly opening. I moved my chair nearer to his bed to check on him.

“Jonghyun, are you okay now?”, I asked worriedly.

His expression turned flustered as he look at me.

“who are you? Who am I?”, he asked in a weak voice.

Instead of worrying, A frown formed on my face and I glared at him.

“Stop it. You can’t get amnesia from an injured shoulder.”

“Oh really? Sorry…”, he chuckled sheepishly and weakly.

He tried to get up but immediately fall back down and yelped when he felt pain on his shoulder.

“You can’t get up yet. Just lay down.”, I said as I help him position himself comfortably on the bed.

“Is the injury serious that I have this bandage on my arm?”, he asked.

“The doctor said it’s not that serious. The ball hit the a wrong spot on your shoulder that your bone slid a little and got dislocated. You have a bandage so your arm won’t move. But the doctor said it’ll be okay in one or two days. You just have to rest and avoid moving your left arm. They also granted you an absence because tomorrow, your injury will be painful so you need to stay home.”, I explained.

He nodded, understanding what happened to him.

“Babo Jonghyun…”, I mumbled but he heard it.

“I’m the one who got hurt and I’m still the idiot one?”, he said with a funny expression.

“Why did you covered me with your body? Do you think you’re a human steel?”

“If I di—“

“You could have just pulled me away like what you first did. Look at you now.”, I sounded mad but I;m not.

“My body just moved on its own and besides, it happened so fast that I didn’t have a chance to think what’s the best thing to do.”

I just stared at him.

“You got hurt because of me so just tell me if you need something.”, I bowed my head as I say it softly. Almost like a whisper.

“It’s not your fault so you don’t have to burden yourself. But honestly, I need something.”, he slowly sat himself on the bed and leaned his back on the headboard.

“What?”

“Someone who would take care of me. You know, I live alone. How could I survive a day without moving my arm?”, he said with a grin.

“Then hire a nanny or a private nurse.”, I said bluntly, knowing what he wants to happen.

“No. Someone who will take care of me with all her heart, not because she’s paid.”, his grin grew wider.

“Then grab one of your fangirls. I’m sure they’d be more than willing to take care of you.”, I rolled my eyes.

He chuckled and stared at me.

“Could you—“

“NO! That’s too much… I have to go now. I still have classes. Call the school nurse if you need something.”, I hurriedly stood up and went out of the clinic.

I know it’s my fault why he got injured but I still don’t want to stay with him. I CAN’T. I know where it will lead when I agreed to stay with him the whole day.

He could always go home to their own house to have someone to take care of him, I know he still has a family. And besides, I need to attend to my classes too.

I went back to our classroom and joined the class but I can’t concentrate. My conscience kept on telling me that I shouldn’t have rejected Jonghyun’s request. It’s making me extremely guilty.

‘Yerin… Be a nice girl. It’s just for a day. Think of gratitude…’

 

After class, I went to Key.

“Is Jonghyun okay now?”, he asked.

“He’s still resting In the clinic.”, I paused for a while to proceed on what I am going to ask.

“Uhmm… Key oppa?”, I started.

“Ne?”

“Could you…. Could you bring me to Jonghyun’s house tomorrow morning?”

I saw Key’s eyes widened and his jaw dropped.