16: Last Gift

My SLY Fox

--Jonghyun’s POV—

“Hyung, wait!”, I heard the boys called me from behind.

But I didn’t stop walking, instead I just walked faster and get in the car immediately. Seconds later, all four of them got in and looked at me.

“You should have talked to her properly.”, Key said.

“She’s the one who yelled at me first. I just wanted to protect her from those es but in the end, I became the bad guy.”, I frowned and looked outside the car window.

“But Yerin noona doesn’t know what happened. You should have explained it to her.”, Taemin said.

“That’s it. She doesn’t know what happened so why would she already assume that I’m hurting those girls?”

“I think you should talk. Explain to her what really happened.”, Onew hyung tapped my back.

I looked at him and sighed.

“No. I didn’t do anything wrong so why would I be the one to explain. She chose to protect those girls from me then let it be. Believe what she wanted to believe.”

“High rising pride…”, Minho sighed.

“Shut up and let’s just go.”, I glared at him.

“But it wouldn’t be settled if you didn’t tell her what happened.”, Minho said.

“I said shut up and let’s just go!”, I yelled and crossed my arms over my chest.

Minho sighed and shook his head. He started the car and started driving.

“Hey wait. All of you, don’t you ever told Yerin what happened. Let her discover it herself so she’d know what those girls are saying to her.”, I said coldly and looked outside the window.

 

--Yerin’s POV—

“Fine. I’ll go. Thank you very much for the advance gift.”, he said with a bitter smile but his eyes were firing.

He turned around and walked away.

The four other boys looked at me. They seemed confused on what to do, talk to me or follow Jonghyun. In the end they just bowed at me for goodbye and run after Jonghyun.

“Advance gift? What is he talking about?”, I turned to Yeonmi and asked.

“I don’t know… But Yerin, don’t you think you became too harsh?”

“I just told him what he needed to hear. You saw what he did also, and you know that’s very wrong.”, I sighed, trying to calm myself.

“But he kept on saying ‘you don’t know what really happened’, and you really didn’t see everything. Maybe there’s a good reason for his actions.”

I looked in disbelief.

“Wait, why are you defending him?”

“I’m not defending him. I’m just trying to tell you that you should have listened to him.”, she sighed as if she’s having a hard time talking to me.

“Enough. I saw it and it already happened so leave it that way. And I don’t like him in the first place so I don’t care if he’s mad or not.” I started to walk and Yeonmi quietly followed.

I sighed deep as I walk. The last thing I said, I hate to admit it but it’s a lie. It’s not that I’m very affected that he’s mad at me, it just makes me feel uncomfortable and bothered knowing that there’s someone mad at me.

There’s a small regret in me that I didn’t listened to his explanation but I could feel more anger. From the first time we met, that already the issue. He’s rude, specially to his fangirls so I doubt that he’d ever change.

-----

My steps on the way to our classroom are heavy the next morning. Today felt so dull and I don’t have much energy.

When we’re few steps away from our classroom, I slowed down on walking. There’s a small anticipation in me to see someone standing outside our classroom.

I don’t like it but I’m kinda used of seeing Jonghyun every morning, standing outside our classroom. Today, I felt nervous, thinking whether I’ll see him there or not. Maybe if he’s there, he’s already okay from what happened yesterday and this stupid guilt I’m feeling will already go away.

I sighed deep as I took more steps and slowly looked at our classroom entrance. I felt something bumped inside my chest when I saw a familiar figure standing there, talking to Key and Minho.

“Looks like he’s not mad at you anymore.”, Yeonmi whispered to me as we draw nearer to them.

When we finally got in front of them, Key and Minho looked at me.

“Good morning .” They both greeted.

“Good morning.”, I smiled and greet back.

I saw Jonghyun slowly looked at me so I looked back at him also. But his expression wasn’t the expression he always have everytime he’d see me every morning. His face was dark, lips are straight and eyes were coldly looking at me. We looked at each other for seconds but he’s the one who looked away first.

“Key, Minho. I’ll go now. I’ll just return your book later.”, he said coldly to them and walked away without even looking back.

“Oops. I’m wrong.”, Yeonmi whispered again to me.

I bit my lower lip and looked at Key and Minho. My eyes were blank in expression. I’m just looking at them.

“Fix it soon.”, Key patted my head and smiled.

I sighed and we all went in our classroom.

-----

“Yeonmi, I need to go to the comfort room. Wait for me here.”, I told Yeonmi when we’re about to go home.

“Okay. Hurry. I’ll wait here.”

I nodded and made my way to the comfort room. I immediately got inside the cubicle and do my business. I was about to come out but I heard girls talking who entered so I just stayed inside the cubicle. I know it’s not right to stay there while they’re talking but there’s a certain force that’s holding me from coming out and just listen to their conversation.

“Really Jonghyun oppa defended her?”, a girl asked.

“Yeah. He heard us talking yesterday and he suddenly came out and yelled at us and started defending that Yerin.”

My brows furrowed. ‘They’re talking about what happened yesterday, but what are they saying about Jonghyun?’

“Why? Are they really dating? Is she his girlfriend now?”

“I don’t know but I’m sure that is seducing oppa. AISHHHH… and you know what? She even yelled at him yesterday. The nerve of that girl to be rude to oppa.”

“Why did she yell—“

I suddenly came out from where I am staying which made the girl’s eyes widened in shock. I can’t take their words anymore. Now I understand what really happened and who is wrong.

“Who’s a ?”, I raised an eyebrow at them that made them flinched.

“Y-Yerin…”, they mumbled, don’t know what to do.

“And what are you saying that I’m doing to Jonghyun? Seducing?!?!”, I yelled and came near them.

But before I could stand in front of them, they ran and quickly got out of the restroom. I just stood there, no plans on chasing them. It’ll just waste my time and energy.

I paused to mend my thoughts for a while. It’s all clear to me now. Jonghyun is just trying to defend me from those girl’s harsh words that’s why he did that.

Guilt quickly crept all over me. He did something nice but I just yelled at him, not even letting him explain. I’m wrong so I’m the one who should apologize.

I took a deep breath and ran quickly to where I left Yeonmi but when I got there, Key is also there.

“Yerin, why are you running? By the way, Key oppa has something to tell you.”, Yeonmi said while watching me catch my breath.

“Yerin. I know I’m not supposed to tell this to you but—“

“Wait. Let me talk first… I already knew what happened yesterday and I’m wrong. I shouldn’t have yelled at Jonghyun and let him explain first.”, I said continuously.

“How did you know?”, Key asked.

“I overheard the conversation of some girls about yesterday and now I know what really happened.”

“That’s exactly what I am going to tell you. Actually Jonghyun hyung told me not to tell it and let you discover it yourself but I can’t bear to see him so gloomy and quiet specially today… his birthday.”

“It’s his birthday today?!?”, I exclaimed as I asked.

Key nodded and it just brought more guilt in me. It’s his birthday and I yelled at him about something which is not his fault.

“Ohhh… Maybe that’s why he said ‘advance gift’ yesterday.”, Yeonmi said.

After some moments of processing every information I got and thinking what to do, I finally come up with something.

“Key oppa, do you know where is he now?”, I asked him.

“Yeah. He’s actually going to celebrate his birthday with us since his parents are away.”

“Can we go?”, I asked, a bit unsure.

“Of course. That’s really the original plan.”, Key smiled in relief and hurriedly dragged me and Yeonmi to his car.

“Wait again… can we also drop by to somewhere before going?”

Key’s smile widened, understanding what I wanted to do. He nodded and opened the car door for us.

----

We’re already standing outside the place Key brought us. It’s their private hangout place or ‘headquarters’ according to Key.

I sighed and signaled Key that it’s okay to open the door already. I held tighter on the box on my hands as the door opens and reveals the inside.

The first I saw were three boys, Minho, Taemin and Onew, busy preparing the foods and decorations. Then as we walk farther in the room, I saw Jonghyun, sitting to the bar counter, playing with his ipad and looks like he’s not interested to celebrate.

“Oh! Looks like hyung got a visitor.”, Taemin said when he saw me.

Jonghyun paused on what he is doing and slowly looked at our direction. His eyes widened when he saw me but later on, he raised an eyebrow, looked at me blankly then went back to playing his ipad again.

“Talk to him now.”, Onew smiled at me and pushed me to walk nearer to Jonghyun.

I took another deep breath and went beside Jonghyun.

“Jonghyun…”, I called him softly but he’s ignoring me.

“Jonghyun…”, I called him again on a louder voice.

“Why did you come here? You hate me, right? And you think I’m rude because I’m annoyed to those girls.”, he said coldly, without even looking at me.

“Okay… I’m wrong. I already know what happened. It’s not your fault.”, I looked down.

I waited for his response but seconds have passed, he’s not answering.

“Hey. I said I already know that it’s not your fault.”, I said in a louder voice again to catch his attention.

He looked at me blankly. “And so?”

“And so? That’s all you’re going to say?”, I looked at him is disbelief.

“Do I have to say more?... You know what? I don’t understand why you’re always protecting those girls. Are you their mother? Just go to them, you don’t have to force yourself to be here.”, his cold voice sounded mad now.

“That’s why I’m here. I’m sorry for that.”, I sighed to calm myself.

I’m apologizing so I should control myself from being angry even though I’m starting to grew impatient because he’s so hard to talk to.

“one…”, he said.

My eyebrows furrowed. “What’s that counting for again? I said I’m sorry.”

“two…”, he said again but his face is slowly turning calm and lightened.

“You’re so hard to talk to. You’re counting out of the blue… If you don’t want to accept my apology, FINE.”, I threw a sharp look at him and turned around to walk away but he pulled me back again.

“Don’t you remember what I said? The '3 tries rule’?”, his naughty grin is back again.

I stared at him with furrowed brows trying to understand what he said. I sighed when I got it.

“Fine. This is the third one… Sorry. Am I forgiven?”

His grin grew wider. “Okay, forgiven~.”

He stretched his arms wide in front of me as if asking for a hug. I just raised an eyebrow at him.

 “And what’s that?”, I asked.

“When you forgive each other, you’re supposed to hug, right? For me, it’s a kind of peace offering.”, he stretched his arm wider but I reached and closed it.

“This is my peace offering, not that”, I placed the small box I’m carrying in front of him.

“Woah~ What this?”, he asked and excitedly opened it.

His eyes sparkled in amazement and happiness when he saw a fox-inspired, round cake inside the box. Before we went here, we dropped by at a cake house where I can personally design the cake.

 “Aww~ Thanks Yerin.”, he stretched his arms again but I glared at him so he put t down immediately.

“Looks like you’re okay now. Let’s start the your birthday celebration.”, Key said when he went to us.

“Woah~. Hyungs, there’s another cake here. This looks yummy!”, Taemin said and picked up the cake I brought but Jonghyun took it back from him.

“This is not yours and I’m the only one who can eat this.”, he put it back again inside the box.

“Happy birthday!”, the boys yelled, together with Yeonmi.

-----

Jonghyun’s birthday celebration lasted until very late at night and he told us that he’s going to drive us home. I agreed because it’s not safe and convenient for me and Yeonmi to go home alone very late.

When we arrived, he walked us to our front door.

“Goodnight and happy birthday again Jonghyun oppa. I’ll go in first.”, Yeonmi said and went inside our apartment, leaving me and Jonghyun alone.

“Thanks for driving us home. Goodnight.”, I said.

“Won’t I really get a hug as a birthday gift?”, he pouted.

“I already gave you your birthday gift. The cake.”

“You said it’s a peace offering so I should get something as a birthday gift.”

“It’s a 2-in-1 gift so don’t ask for more. Go home now.”, I motioned my hands like shooing him away.

“Okay. Good night.” He sighed and flashed an unsatisfied smile before walking away.

Then again, for the 100th this day, I felt guilty again and it’s because of the last smile he showed me. We just settled our misunderstandings and until now I felt guilty that I made him mad on his birthday.

‘Be kindhearted Yerin, just for today. Give it.’, a little voice inside my head commanded me.

I sighed and looked at me wristwatch. 11:58 pm, two minutes before his birthday ends. There’s still time for his last gift.

“Jonghyun.”, I called him before he could enter his car.

He faced me again. I walked and stood in front of him. His eyes were looking at me with confusion.

“Less than two minutes before your birthday officially ends…”

Before he could ask, I hugged him.

I felt him flinched and froze when I did that. I also heard his heavy breathing.

“Happy birthday.”, I whispered.

The hug lasted for just more than five seconds. Before he could move and hugged me back, I broke the hug and took a step back. I looked up to him and though he’s not moving, he has that pleased smile on his face.

“4,3,2,1. It’s not your birthday anymore, so go home now.”, I pushed him inside his car and went he’s finally in, I quickly ran inside the house.

I felt my cheeks went warm…

‘It’s because you’re shy Yerin… nothing else… You’re blushing because you did something really embarrassing.’

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sorry for cutting the last chapter....

By the way, that '3 tries' rule, sorry for that random scene. It came out of the blue. But I actually got that idea on We Got Married (julien&SeAh). HIHI :"> SORRY FOR THE RANDOMNESS OF IDEA.

THANKS FOR READING ♥