Chapter 21: Because... of the Guilt

This is War: A Story of Friendship, Betrayal and Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It's been 5 days since Safe Haven was invaded and lives were taken.

It's been 5 days since Sungyeol's death and Sungjong, the usually happy go lucky maknae became more reserved. 

It's been 4 days since Hoya was conscious.

He was not badly injured, just suffered a few bruises here and there but nothing too severe. He turned to his side and found L's bed unmade. He must have gone to see Julia again who was still unconscious. 

As soon as he woke up, he was filled in on the missing details: Sunggyu and Woohyun's betrayal as well as Julia's gene being activated. Hoya sat there silently as Dongwoo told him the whole thing. 

Usually, Hoya would be the first one to rush to his sister's side and wait for her to wake up but not this time. 

He promised his parents he would take care of her and not to harm her but he didn't fulfill that promise. Instead, he stupidly went against Eunhae and knew very well his sister was in pain and should've left. 

Dongwoo told him that there is no signs that she is going to wake up soon and this makes him even more guilty. Although he could feel his sister strongly running through his veins, he was still wary that she may never wake up. He can't bring himself to see her and to be by her side. He went through that horror once and he can't stand reliving that nightmare again.  

---

A few months before the war

Howon glided his way to the kitchen, headphones in place to where his sister was eating a french toast and strawberry jam. Their mother, a woman with soft short brown hair was busy making breakfast for the family. 

Hoya was so engrossed into the music that he 'accidentally' hit the barstool where Hwayoung was sitting on, making her spill her tea onto both her toast and dress. "YAH!" she shouted, dumping the soggy toast onto the plate in front of her. Their mother jumped and turned to see what the commotion was about and found her daughter's turqoise coloured spaghetti dress was stained with tea. 

"LEE HOWON!" she shouted and yanked the headphones out of his ears and he immediately stopped dancing. He glared back at his twin sister and grabbed the headphones from him, never once flinching.  

"WHAT!" he shouted back and hung the headphones around his neck. 

"Can you both stop shouting? Do you know how thin the walls are?" Park Leah, their mother spoke calmly at her two loud children. Hwayoung groaned and bit off her soggy toast while Howon made his way to his mother and gave a peck on the cheek. "Morning, omma." His mother smiled at her oldest son and caressed his cheek. Morning, darling. I am making some eggs for myself. Would you want some?" she asked turning back to her frying pan. 

He nodded. "Yes, please. I will just make some toast." he said sweetly. Hwayoung mocked her brother's change of attitude and he turned to glare at her, sticking out his tongue. She grabbed her tissue and threatened to throw it at him. He gave her a smirk and went to the toaster to make some toast for himself and for the parents. 

Lately, her brother was getting on her nerves. Eversince her brother's best friend, Minhyuk became intersted in her, he was acting really odd and annoying. Instead of the understanding brother she thought he would be, he was being a real idiot about her dating his best mate. 

"If your son will learn not to dance and kick my stool while I am trying to have breakfast." she said through grithed teeth staring at his back now. 

"It's not like I did it on purpose! Your daughter should learn not to be so annoying." he replied not looking at his twin sister. 

His mother turned off the stove and transferred the eggs to the empty plate on the bar counter where the girl with black hair was sitting. "Just apologize to your sister." she said pushing the scrambled eggs to the plate. 

"It was an accident!" he protested, his blood boiling. 

"Darling, go and change." she told Hwayoung. She glared at her brother one last time before jumping off the bar stool and exiting the kitchen. All the way out mumbling how stupid and incosiderate her brother is. When they heard Hwayoung slammed her bedroom door, she turned to her son, arms crossed. 

"What is wrong with you?" she asked her son. He turned away from his mother and started plating the toast. "Nothing." he mumbled. 

"Don't lie to your mother, Lee Howon." she warned him. 

He sighed and applied butter onto his toast, unsure how to answer his mother. 

"I don't want to nag you, Hoya." her petname for her son. "You are already 21. This fights between the both of you have to stop and you as the older brother should be supportive of her. I know it is hard to see your baby sister to go out into the dating world. I remembered when I was your age dating your father, I didn't have an older brother but an older sister who was very overprotective over me." 

"I know you want the best for her but you do not have to worry so much. Yes, you have the duty to protect her if anything happens to your father and I but, give her the chance to show you that she is wise enough to make her own decision. You may be twins, you may have telepathy but you are both two different people." 

The black haired boy turned around to face his mother who still had her arms crossed on her chest. "I know, omma but Minhyuk... he is my best friend and everything but you know he can be all touchy feely towards his girlfriend and I don't like that-"

"Is that why you 'accidentally' kicked her barstool?" his mother frowned at him. He laughed nervously and rubbed the back of his head, embarrassed. "Yeah." 

He expected his mother to scold him or smack him but she began to laugh, shaking her head at her son's antics. "What?" he asked completely oblivious. 

"I was going to a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter