Let's...love?

Kris collection

“So I guess… I’m married?” Sunny spoke to herself as she sat in front of vanity table in their room – her shared room with her husband, Kris. “Married to a complete stranger with no strings attached, Sunny ah~” she continued speaking to herself as she smeared night cream on her face. “It’s for the company…it’s for the.. Oh, Hi.” She nodded towards Kris’s direction as he entered the room. He nodded and went straight into the bathroom. Sunny sighed and lay on her side of the bed as her husband remained on his side.

They were never in love but they were placed together because of an arranged marriage. ‘Such marriages were really common’, Sunny tried to calm herself down when she first heard about the news. How Kris managed it was none of her business, neither does she know. They lived separate lives even though they stay in the same house. The house was huge, it was three stories high with lots of rooms, each and everyone refurnished with its different style and not to mention a huge yard. When Kris questioned why they needed such a big house, he was told by his father that he wished for them to have many kids, in which Kris questioned the possibility of that even taking place. However, he decided to not rebuke and remain silent with his thoughts.

It was a stay home Sunday for the two, the first in this month as they would always either be busy at some gala or buried under work. Sunny was in the living room when the door bell rang, “I’ll get it.” She walked over while Kris stared ahead at the door. ‘Who could it be?’ “Hyeongsu!” Kris’s brother greeted her with a luggage in his hand and a girl in his other hand. “Neh… Hi…” Sunny was bewildered by his brother but still welcomed him. “Kris, your brother.” “Hyung!” Kris’s brother hugged him. “What the…” Kris pointed at the luggage and then to the girl. “Who is she and what are you doing at my place with such a huge luggage?” Kris asked. “She’s my girlfriend, Hyemi! I’ll tell you why after we’ve settled down.” Kris nodded for a moment before he sensed something wrong. “Settled down? Where?” “Here!” his brother smiled and was about to drag his luggage up the flight of stairs.

“Kevin… what happened at home?” Kris was in his study room with his brother while Sunny was busy trying to settle Hyemi.
“Dad kicked me out once he found out that I was dating a girl that was mentally disordered.”
“You mean Hyemi?” Kris questioned with Kevin nodded.
“And so you thought that my place’s a…hotel?”
“You will let me stay here right hyung… I can’t leave Hyemi and I have no money. Dad cut away all my credit card and I have that little amount of allowance left.. Even mom couldn’t save me.” The boy pouted while Kris raked his finger through his hair.
“Just make sure to not bother your Hyeongsu. You get it?”
“Hyung, you’re the more reliable person on earth!”
“Don’t hug me.” Kris pointed at him before Kevin could move any closer to him.

It has been weeks since Kevin and Hyemi moved in and Sunny came to understand what Hyemi needed and wanted better. “You’re not really hard to get along with. I wonder why dad wouldn’t allow you to be with Kevin.” Hyemi looked up dazedly at Sunny but gave her a smile in the end. “Let’s eat and then we can go out together.” Sunny suggested. Hyemi frowned before shaking her head, “I must wait for Kevin. I must stay with Kevin.” She insisted. “Ohhhh, Kevin’s coming home to spend time with you? Ok then, we can go out on another day” Sunny smiled as she saw Hyemi smile. “You know you’re lucky to be with someone that you love. I’m glad that Kevin stood up for you.” “Kevin!!!” Hyemi ran towards him as he took her into his arms. “Hello baby, did you miss me?”

All Sunny could do was to watch them grow together with love while Kris and her were nothing as compared to them. Later that night, Kris cooped himself in his study room as he thought over what Sunny said, ‘You know you’re lucky to be with someone that you love. I’m glad that Kevin stood up for you.’ It wasn’t as if Kris couldn’t love her, she was very easy to love indeed. Maybe he was too busy or too tired, maybe he already loved her after all she was his wife? Or perhaps he should start to love her? Maybe they were really made for each other. He brooded over the topic of love for a long long time before Sunny knocked on his door. “You didn’t eat much earlier on, are you ok?” she stood by the door with her head peeking out. Kris stared at her for a long time before standing up from his chair to walk towards her.

He stood before her and pulled her into his arms, “Let’s love…shall we?” he mumbled as she stood in her position, not knowing if she should just remain still or hug him – she went with the latter and nodded timidly to his request. “Soup?” she tilted her head up. He chuckled and nodded.

Years have passed and the two couple had learned a lot from each other and loved each other more than ever. “If it wasn’t for how Kevin showed his love towards Hyemi, we probably wouldn’t be so in love with each other.” Sunny smiled as she leaned against her husband’s chest, watching their kids splash around in the pool with their uncle Kevin and aunty Hyemi who finally tied the knot last year. “Thank you, for agreeing to love me” Kris placed a kiss on her head as they overlooked the scene ahead of them.


*Hyeongsu means sister-in-law :)