The Last War

Whispers of Fire

“For it can never be that war shall preserve life, and peace destroy it.”

- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

 

The battle went on for another two nights. You had lost track of how many wolves you had killed. You were tired, somehow still managing to survive on your two feet, pummeling your way through the enemy wolves. You had caught glimpses of Jaehyo, Kiseop, Dongho, and your other friends in battle.

 

You tiredly slammed your glowing fist into an enemy’s abdomen, not even cringing as they fell to the ground twitching before they went limp. You stumbled backwards, feeling faint. You ducked behind a tree, out of breath as you shoved your hand into your pocket, fumbling for an army ration bar you had been given by Zico.

 

You didn’t even care about your dirt smeared fingers as you shakily tore open the silver wrapper. You bit into the tasteless brown bar, swallowing it before you could puke your insides out. Stumbling backwards, you lost your footing and almost slipped, someone catching you from behind.

 

“Kevin…”

 

You were leaning into his chest, breathing in his familiar scent of salt water mixed in with the scent of dirt and grime. He touched the side of your left cheek.

 

“You’re bleeding.” He said.

 

You hadn’t realized you were bleeding. Looking up, you saw his normally pale, white face was smeared in dirt and soil, and it looked as if he too hadn’t slept for days. You supposed you looked like him. Almost hysterically, you started laughing.

 

He stared at you.

 

It took you a few minutes to stop. “I’m sorry.” You tried to remain serious, your laughter bubbling up inside again. “Kevin, why are you here?”

 

“Why can’t I be here?” He retorted, hiding his hurt from his expression.

 

“Because…” You sighed. “I don’t want you getting hurt.”

 

He shrugged, a small shy smile forming on his lips. “Didn’t I say I was always going to be here for you?”

 

You returned the smile. “I have to keep fighting.”

 

His smile faded. “You can’t, not in this condition.”

 

“And you can?” You teased. “I don’t think you’re much better.” You pointedly eyed his grimy face.

 

“Fair enough.” He didn’t even crack a smile. “Listen, ________. I want to see you again, okay? We’re going to return to Dal’s and write notes in class and spend stupid lunches together after, okay?”

 

You grinned, rubbing the back of your hand over your eyes, your hand coming away with moisture. “Yeah.” You stood back up again, making sure you were stable on your two feet again.

 

“So…”

 

The both of you stared at each other, awkward silence filling the air.

 

“So…” You repeated.

 

He looked at your pointedly.

 

“See you later, Kevin.” You smiled, turning around and running back into battle.

 

He smiled and turned the other way. “See you!” His voice ringing out into the bloody battlefield, reaching your ears.

 

Filled with at least a little bit more energy, you found yourself directing your power at enemy wolves once again as you shifted into your wolf form. Your eyes gleaming, you snarled at another wolf. She snarled back.

 

You don’t know who you’re dealing with.

 

You charged at her and knocked her over, your body shimmering with a grey glow. Howling, she pushed herself back up. She shook her head, her fur ruffling to reveal layers of white fur underneath her dark grey appearance. She threw her head back, howling once again, calling for other wolves.

 

Angrily, you charged at her once again, your eyes flashing.

 

You little alpha, her voice found its way into your head. You’re fighting, but you’re the one who’s caused all this. They’ll rip your throat out after you do mine.

 

Chagrined, you sank your teeth into her hind leg, her painful cries echoing into the night. You saw her struggling to keep her wolf form, and you kept your hold on her leg as she continuously shifted back and forth between human form and wolf form. Finally, she gave one last longing howl before shifting completely into her human form, limp and near death.

 

You let go and shifted back into human form as well, wiping the blood from your mouth.

 

Her eyelids fluttered open weakly. “You…. ____________. The fated alpha, claimed to rid the supernatural world of evil in the prophecy. Why…” She choked as blood continued spurting from her leg, pooling on the ground. “Why is this happening to us instead?” She cried out as she fell back, her eyes now glassy and sightless.

 

You slowly backed away. “I’m sorry.” You whispered, shifting back into a sleek wolf, sprinting back to Zico to find out about the prophecy.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

You found him back at the secret meeting place, stocking up on new weapons. “Zico?”

 

He looked up. “Hey. You look fine.”

 

You shot him a glare. “What is the prophecy about?”

 

He froze.

 

“Tell me.”

 

He shook his head, his normal cocky demeanor gone. “I can’t.”

 

“Why?”

 

Victoria concordia crescit. Victory comes from harmony.” He said quietly. So quietly that if you were not a wolf, you would not have heard.

 

“What do you mean, Zico?” You said, frustrated.

 

“That’s what part of the prophecy says.” He closed his eyes and spoke.

 

The alpha shall bear the power of all,

She in time of war.

Every wolf she will enthrall,

Bloodshed and battle before.

Cleanse the earth of evil and greed,

Her power ameliorating the Otherworld.

Her ability through the earth will bleed,

with the four elements together swirled.

As she battles the power herself holds,

itself it will abate.

The death of her can not be foretold,

neither can her fate.

Her symbol of her inheritance,

must be found on her left jowl.

Binding together, the evil she must evince,

The battle ends with her howl.

 

Victoria concordia crescit. Together in harmony, wolf and power combine.”

 

Zico’s voice cracked. “I tried to keep you safe. To keep you away.”

 

“Why?” Your voice was hoarse. “Why didn’t you tell me I had to bind with my tattoo?”

 

“You can’t die, _________!” Zico burst out. “It will only increase your chances of dying! It will probably drain you of your power forever. No one knows about this… I’m trying to do this my way… If you’ll just let me, please…”

 

You shook your head. “I’m sorry, Zico. I’m not going to die though, I have promises to keep.” Turning around, your leaped back into the battle. Your hand reached your left cheek, brushing your tattoo, which almost seemed to be pulsing with warmth under your fingers, as if it were alive.

 

It’s time to put in everything I’ve got and end this.

 

You shut your eyes, keeping your fingers on your tattoo. It pulsed, faster and faster under your fingers, the warmth flowing through your fingertips, into your body. Newfound energy flowed through your limbs as you sprinted into battle, your tattoo glowing silver.

 

You yelled as you your hands towards the enemy wolves, a shimmering silver blast of power shooting out at them, killing them all in one blow. You had never seen or felt anything so powerful before. You continued, taking out many enemy wolves, gritting your teeth as you continued.

 

Jaehyo and Kiseop grinned, recognizing you.

 

She can do this. She will end the war.

 

Kevin and Jaehyo exchanged a look and nodded, following you into the battlefield. They took out any remaining wolves you had missed, snapping angrily at their limbs and charging at them with ferocious howls.

 

You shifted into a wolf, the adrenaline rising in your chest, your fur glowing and your left cheek’s tattoo still shining a bright silver, matching the colour of the full moon above the bloody field in the sky.

 

You stopped, looking around.

 

They’re all killed, you realized, your shoulders heaving. You hadn’t realized how tired you were. You shifted back into human form, your chest hammering heavily against your chest and your tattoo glowing brightly.

 

Kevin and Hyun Jae high fived, coming towards you with a grin. All the student’s as well as Zico’s pack all began cheering, their voice and laughter clouding your mind.

 

There was a growl.

 

Perhaps you had imagined it, but there was another growl, a little higher in pitch, but nonetheless, a growl. An unmistakably unfriendly growl.

 

“Hyun Jae-”

 

You were a second too late.

 

A mass of new wolves lunged out from the trees, all enemy wolves. They are all enemy wolves, you realized with your heart sinking.

 

A wolf pounced on unsuspecting Hyun Jae, tearing in ten seconds, leaving her whimpering, left to die on the bloodied soil.

 

You quickly shifted into wolf form.

 

One of the wolves was not charging into battle like the other ones, instead, she stood on her four legs on a tall rock, illuminated by the moonlight. She howled into the night as she caught your gaze, her sharp eyes full of amusement. As she raised her head, you caught sight of her tattoo.

 

A sharp red with two dark slashes. Much like yours.

 

Hana.

 

All the other students and Zico’s pack were fighting back at the masses of wolves, overpopulated. You were tired, you realized, stumbling backwards, almost falling over.

 

You straightened up, shaking your head. You looked up.

 

Surrounding you was a circle of wolves, their eyes sharp and full of bloodlust, ready to kill. Your heart pounded faster than ever, your head dizzy.

 

One of the wolves stepped forward, gave three short barks and the others came charging forward. You desperately fought back, gasping as they tore and snapped at you from all sides. You let out a painful squeal as one bit your leg, the pain spreading through you like fire.

 

I guess this is the end.

I’m sorry, Kevin. I guess I’ll never be able to keep those promises.

I’m sorry, Kiseop, I’ll never break your heart again.

I’m sorry, Jaehyo, I never got to spend too much time with you.

I’m sorry Hyun Jae, I wish I protected you more.

I’m sorry, Dongho, for all those times you were there for me and I wasn’t there for you.

I’m so sorry, Nana, I never asked how you felt.

I love you all and I’ll never be able to repay you all.

 

“__________!”

 

You felt yourself fade back into your human form, wet, warm blood covering your skin.

 

Perhaps this is how it was meant to be.

No one knows about the prophecy.

And no one ever shall.

Zico, please don’t ever tell anyone, it’s better that way.

 

...Before I die, I want to say that I


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

~END~

 

 

http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/754323/the-anomalous-perhaps-infinite-myungsoo-ocxmyungsoo