First Day

Whispers of Fire

“Give me your schedule.” Dongho demanded.

You slid your hand into the small side pocket of your backpack and pulled out a folded piece of paper.

He took it. “You have Mystic Knowledge for period one, and period two, you have a spare.” He looked up from the paper. “I have the same spare as you so I can eat lunch with you.” He winked before he looked back down at the paper.

You just crossed your arms impatiently at his attitude.

“Afterwards, you have training with basically all the newest students and transfers of Dal’s for third and fourth. Nana will be there as a guide as well. As for last period, you have Laws and Moon Codes.” He was still smiling and it was starting to creep you out.

“But first,” He grabbed your arm and tucked the paper back into your backpack. “Let’s go get breakfast.”

You reluctantly allowed him pull you into the main hallways of the building on your way to breakfast.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The entire cafeteria fell silent as you entered with Dongho.

Man of the boys were staring at you with interest and a few of the girls gave you friendly expressions, but many of them gave you nasty disapproving looks, especially when Dongho reached down to squeeze your hand.

You looked down in surprise.

Dongho continued to hold your hand as he leaned in closely to your cheek. “All the guys are checking you out,”

You felt his warm breath brush against your pale skin as he continued to speak.

“You’re hot, _______.”

It took all of you to not turn pink at his words.

“Shut up...” You murmured as you surveyed the whole cafeteria of people.

There were not many people in the cafeteria that morning, but you did recognize Sun Hee, who you remember from yesterday.

She was one of those girls that were giving you a cold look. She tossed her long blond hair over her shoulder and the rest of her group did the same. She headed in your direction and stopped right in front of you.

“You.” She pointed her slender, manicured finger at you. “You’re the new student aren’t you?”

You just blinked in response.

Obviously frustrated, she quickly reached out her hand, attempting to slap you, and Dongho was quick to block the hit.

However, you were faster. You simply blocked the hit with your arm.

“You really should think before you act,” You murmured calmly. “You never know, it could get you in serious trouble one day.”

The whole cafeteria stared at you in surprise, including Dongho.

Sun Hee stared at you in surprised. “What the f-” She shut up and flicked her hair as she turned, signalling to the rest of her group to follow her out the cafeteria, carrying their steaming hot chocolates.

Dongho grabbed your arm tightly, his nail nearly tearing into your flesh. “What did you think you were doing.” He hissed in your ear.

You turned to him and stared at his eyes.

They were dark blue and serious, he wasn’t joking with you at all.

“That’s the female alpha. Do you really want to get killed?”

You stared straight back into those eyes. “I don’t care, Dongho.”

His eyes turned into a darker shade of midnight blue. “You don’t get it, ________.” He shook his head. “She’s the alpha. She’s allowed to kill anyone and she can get away with it.”

“I don’t like her attitude...” You murmured, glaring at her retreating figure.

Dongho sighed. “Ignore her. She’s a , but deal with it. You can’t do anything.”

“Why do YOU have a problem with her?”
“She’s just an annoying heartbreaking , okay?” Dongho hissed through his clenched teeth, his dark eyes flashing.

You shrugged and wisely chose to not reply.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

“See you at lunch, ________!” Dongho smiled when he stopped in front of your first period classroom door. “You have the class access key, right?”

You nodded.

“Araso,” He smiled. “See you next period for lunch.” He winked.

You turned to enter the classroom, ready to learn about Mystic Knowledge.

“Access key?” The teacher held out her open palm at you.

On her left cheek was a dark indigo star the size of your thumb nail. Surrounding the star were little flecks of golden dust.

You dug into the small pocket of your cardigan and pulled out the card.

The teacher stared at it and nodded after confirming that you were a student of Dal’s. “Take a seat wherever it is empty, ___________.”

You nodded. Finding an empty seat in the back, you slid into the wooden chair and let your backpack slide to the ground next to you.

“Excuse me.”

You looked up to see Sun Hee glaring at you.

“This is my seat.” She said icily.

You were about to retort, but you remembered Dongho’s words and got up calmly, smoothing your skirt as you picked up your bag and went to another seat beside a boy.

‘The name’s Jaehyo.” He held out his hand with a kind smile. “You’re new?”

You hesitated before speaking. “________.” You said quietly, slipping your hand into his warm ones to perform a friendly handshake.

“Cool.” He continued to smile as he dropped his hand back to his desk.

The teacher began to speak and started the lesson on the different powers of werewolves. She was full of information, but it was too much for you to listen to.

You sighed as you rested your chin against your hand and tapped your pen against your cheek. You sat up straight when you felt something tucked underneath your elbow. You reached for it and smiled when you read the note.

Don’t fall asleep, ________! Miss Kim can be quite a boring person...

Smiling, you scribbled another note back to Jaehyo, your indigo coloured pen bleeding into the paper.

Haha. Funny. What class do you have next?

He replied immediately.

Spare. Do you have a spare too?

You nodded.

Let’s eat lunch together??

You nodded again and smiled.

Miss Kim looked at you suspiciously and you had to bite your lip.

The bell’s sudden ring made the entire class jump up as the sound echoed through the hallways which were now filling up with people.

Jaehyo grabbed your arm. “Lunch?”

“Yeah.”

You gathered all of your new textbooks and shoved them into your backpack. You walked with Jaehyo out of the classroom and the moment you set foot out of the room, Dongho jumped in front of you.

“__________! Let’s go eat lunch!” He smiled as he held your hand.

Jaehyo glared at him. “I’m having lunch with her.”

“Jaehyo.” Dongho let the word linger in the air for a few moments. “Back again?”

Jaehyo’s tattoo seemed to shimmer and you stared at it.

His tattoo rested a little below his smooth cheekbone. It was a dark indigo, outlined with bold red lines. It appeared in the shape of a simple circle. A thin line of silver surrounded the red.

Jaehyo glared back at him. “Dongho.” He spat. “What are you doing here?”

“I’m her guide. She’s new here you know.”

You shook your head angrily. “You know what? This is stupid. I don’t know what all of this is about, but I’m just going to go eat lunch by myself.” You tore your arm out of Jaehyo’s grip and walked away, feeling frustrated and annoyed by people you barely knew.

When you walked into the cafeteria, you felt somebody touch your arm softly. You turned to see Hyun Jae shyly looking at you.

“Hey.” She said softly.

You nodded.

She smiled kindly. “Do you want to sit with me and Nana? It beats sitting alone, right?”

“Sure,” You returned the smile. You followed Hyun Jae to a table at the back of the cafeteria.

As you slid into the empty seat, a person slid into the seat next to you.

Dongho looked at you apologetically. “Look, _______. I’m really sorry for what happened earlier.” He turned to Hyun Jae and you noticed that he avoided his gaze from Nana. “Is it okay if I sit here for lunch today?”

Hyun Jae swallowed uncomfortably. “Um...Sure.”

Nana glared at him as he set down his lunch.

~~~~~~~~~~

The awkward lunch ended when the bell rang. Nana jumped up, grabbing her bag.

Dongho turned to you. “You have training the next two periods. I’ll walk you there.”

The two of you walked to your next class.

“What’s with you and Nana?” You asked curiously, staring at him.

Dongho shrugged. “Nothing much. Don’t worry about it, _________.”

He stopped in front of a heavy wooden door. “I hope you don’t hate me still, __________.”

“I kind of do.”

He sighed. “I’m sorry, _________.”

You smiled. “But I do think you’re kinda cute.” Turning around, you pulled open the heavy wooden door.