No Help

Whispers of Fire

“He’s just crazy.” Nana said reassuringly, “Jaehyo was always a little out of his mind.”

 

You shrugged. “I don’t believe him.” You said half heartedly.

 

“You better not.” Nana said grouchily, seeing right through your lie.

 

“I’m not.”

 

Another lie.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Despite being a little angry towards Jaehyo, you were concerned about how he was doing. You remembered that when you saw him, all his clothes were dirty and torn, and his body was covered in jagged scratches.

 

Even when you tried to focus on your dinner with Kiseop, you kept thinking about Jaehyo.

 

“Earth to __________.” Kiseop called, waving his fork in front of your face.

 

“Huh?”

 

His head rested on his hand, staring at you as he put down his fork. “Are you thinking about Jaehyo?”

 

You looked down at your food, feeling a little ashamed. “Yeah. I’m kind of worried.”

 

“He’ll be fine, don’t worry.”

 

You nodded, carefully stabbing one noodle with your fork and swirling it around the dish. “Kiseop? I want to ask you something, but I just want to clear it up a bit.”

 

“Sure. Knock yourself out.”

 

You continued to move your noodles around the saucy dish. “Why...Why did you date Sun Hee even though she killed your sister?”

 

It was his turn to look down, a harsh expression plastered over his handsome features.

 

“Sorry,” You turned pink. “None of my business, I know.”

 

“No...You’re right. You’re my girlfriend, you deserve to know.”

 

You stayed silent, waiting for him to explain.

 

“At first, I went out with Sun Hee because I planned to kill her eventually to revenge my sister. But as time passed...” Kiseop’s voice caught in the back of his throat. “I guess I actually fell in love with her.” He shrugged. “I know it doesn’t make sense, but it was true. I was truthfully in love with Sun Hee.”

 

You said nothing.

 

He looked up at you and when you peeked up, you saw that his eyes were bright. “But then I met you.”

 

A smile broke out on your face. “You’re the first person...” You admitted. “That I ever fell in love with.”

 

“Whoa.” He was taken aback. “I stole your first kiss?”

 

You giggled, turning pink. “Yeah, I  guess.” You grinned. “But I’m glad you were the one who stole it. I wouldn’t have traded you for anyone else.”

 

“Hm... Well, I guess you’re my...” Kiseop began counting his fingers. “Fifty-sixth love?”

 

“Fifty-sixth?!”

 

He winked. “I’m just teasing. You’re the third.”

 

You rolled your eyes and pushed your dish towards him. “Do you want it?”

 

“You don’t like the date?”

 

You shook your head. “I like it, I’m just not hungry I guess.”

 

“I’m full. I’m not finishing that.”

 

You sighed. “I don’t want to waste food.”

 

“Well, I’m not eating that.”

 

Shaking your head, you called over the waiter for the bill.

 

He came over and gave your still untouched dish a look of disdain, scowled at you and took Kiseop’s empty one and your full one away. He came back with the bill.

 

Kiseop reached into his wallet and pulled out some money and put it on the table. “Let’s go.”

 

“That’s a pretty big tip.”

 

“I’m just too rich.”

 

“Rich and kind now, huh.”

 

He put his hand in yours and the two of you walked out of the restaurant.

 

“I’m worried.” You said softly as you walked down the sidewalk hand in hand with Kiseop.

 

He looked down at you. “About what? Jaehyo?”

 

You nodded, and then shook your head. “Yes, but I’m worrying about other things too.”

 

“Like?”

 

“Kiseop.” You looked up at him. “What if what Jaehyo told us was true?”

 

Kiseop shook his head. “No way that could be true.”

 

“Why not?” You retorted.

 

Kiseop shook his head again. “Jaehyo was always a liar and a ladies’ man. I don’t expect much from him.”

 

“Jaehyo’s not like that! He’s...” You searched for something to defend him with.

 

“See?” Kiseop sighed. “It’s true.”

 

“Maybe it is, but he could still be telling the truth.”

 

Kiseop squeezed your hand. “I doubt it. Besides, we’re safe.”

 

“You sure?” You raised your eyebrows at him.

 

“I’m sure.” He confirmed.

 

But you weren’t so sure yourself.

 

~~~~~~~~~~

 

You arrived back at school with Kiseop.

 

He dropped you off at the dorms and let go of your hand. Pressing his lips quickly against yours, he waved after stepping back. “Get some sleep, okay?”

 

You nodded. “Bye.”

 

He kissed you again before turning away to walk back to the boys’ dorms.

 

You watched his retreating figure disappear before letting out a huge sigh. You scanned your left eye and let the doors slide open for you. You stepped inside and walked down to your room and unlocked it, the door swinging open.

 

Nana was inside, painting her nails on her bed. “Back?”

 

“Yup.”

 

You went over and flopped down on your own bed across from her, turning your head to watch her blow carefully on her wet nails.

 

“It’s late.”

 

“I know.”

 

~~~~~~~~~~~

 

You guess you fell asleep eventually, because you woke up to find yourself still on your bed, surrounded by darkness still in your clothes from your date with Kiseop.

 

Sighing, you got up slowly, careful not to wake Nana, and changed quietly into your sweatpants and tank top.

 

You went back over to your bed and fell back into the blankets, wrapping them around your body as you drifted back to sleep.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~

 

A loud explosion jolted both you and Nana awake, alarms blaring out throughout the building.

 

“What the hell!” Nana exclaimed, sitting up.

 

The bad feeling in your stomach churned, making you want to puke as your stomach seemed to twist into knots. “Come on.” You said, slipping off the bed and grabbing Nana’s arm, tugging her out of her bed as well.

 

The two of you ran outside and into the bustling corridor of the dorms which was crowded with girls still in their pajamas.

 

Everyone was panicked and confused, pushing and shoving to get outside to see what was going on.

 

When the girls saw you, they immediately parted so that there was a clear path for you and Nana.

 

You nodded in gratitude to all the girls and ran out, your bare feet pounding on the ground.

 

“What the hell.” Nana said for the second time as both of you exited the dorm doors.

 

“Kiseop!” You saw Kiseop walking out of the boys’ dorms, his eyes scanning all the people for you.

 

He quickly ran over. “Are you okay?”

 

You nodded. “What happened?”

 

He shrugged. Opening his mouth to say something, he was suddenly cut short as he threw himself in front of you, hugging your body tightly.

 

The front wall of the building exploded with a bright light, thick clouds of dust hanging in the air.

 

Kiseop released you and coughed, his dark hair now grey, covered in dust.

 

“Nana!” You looked to your right frantically, realizing she wasn’t there. “Where is she?”

 

Kiseop’s eyebrows rose quizzically. “We’ll find her later.” He grabbed your arm, yanking you down the bustling hallway.

 

All the chattering, yelling, and screaming of other students suddenly died down. All eyes were turned to the boys which stood in the place where the wall once used to be.

 

Kiseop’s grip on your arm grew tighter.

 

Behind them, Sun Hee came out, a small smirk apparent on her face as she searched the students and found you.

 

You stifled a gasp.

 

That wasn’t the biggest surprise.

 

Another girl stepped out from the back and came in front of Sun Hee, her dark hair tied back into a sleek ponytail, her red tattoo slashed with two dark black lines. She turned to Kiseop.

 

“Surprise, brother.”


~~~~~~~~~~