Slight Appearance

Whispers of Fire

Days passed.

Dongho made no more appearances in the mornings or in the hallways.

You went to your classes with your head held high and ignored all the whispers and rumours about the incident.

Sun Hee avoided you ever since the strange conversation the other day; you only saw her in your first period class and training.

You rarely saw her loitering around in the hallways or the dorm any more.

So life continued for you, and it was pretty much the same thing every day.

Hanging out with Nana and Hyun Jae was nice and pretty chill, they made you feel comfortable and supported you in any way possible. They avoided touching the topic of alphas, knowing it made you feel awkward and foreign.

Jaehyo continued ignoring you in your first period class. He even went as far as to switch seats so he could sit away from you.

Kevin, as he promised on the first day, he would stick by your side no matter what.

And he did.

He was basically your best friend besides Nana and Hyun Jae.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nana sat up on the edge of her bed, her bare feet dangling. “Wanna go early and grab something from the dining room?”

You sighed as you rubbed your eyes sleepily. “Yeah, sure.” You sat up and stretched, swinging your feet on to the cold floor. Shivering, you made your way to the washroom in your lethargic morning speed.

You arrived at the dining room with Nana and Hyun Jae and you froze at the doorway when you saw Dongho eating in the far corner of the room.

Nana followed your gaze and her expression turned grim when she saw Dongho.

Dongho, who had been reading a thick book looked up, aware that someone was looking at him. When he saw you, he immediately pushed his chair back, the metal legs screeching across the floor. Without a word, he walked towards you.

You stayed frozen in place, speechless.

When he came to the doorway, he simply hurriedly pushed past you and Nana, his expression unreadable.

You turned to Nana. “I...I’ll meet you guys later. I don’t feel like breakfast yet.”

She nodded at you with concerned eyes.

“Take care!” Hyun Jae called after you as you sprinted down the empty corridors.

You gasped for air after sprinting around the entire building at least five times, searching for Dongho.

After not seeing him for a while, you had managed to push him out of your mind. But when you saw him again...

You fell to your knees, sighing.

I can’t believe I’m saying this, but...

I miss Dongho.

~~~~~~~~~~~

You found yourself wandering to your last period class after training.

Somebody playfully tapped you on the shoulder. “Hey!”

You turned around. “Oh...Hey, Kiseop.”

He fell into step with you. “So how has training been going?”

“Good...”

The two of you walked in silence.

“So... how have things been going between you and Sun Hee?”

Kiseop said nothing. Finally, he looked back up at you. “Hey, uh, _________. I just remembered I got something to do. I’ll talk to you sometime later.”

“Um...okay.”

“See you!” He turned around and waved, briskly disappearing into the large crowd of students.

You stood still in the middle of the hallway for a second, feeling waves of numbness wash over you.

So...in the end the kiss meant nothing?

I see how it is.

“Move it.” Somebody angrily growled, pushing past you.

You blinked, snapping out of your thoughts. “Oh yeah, sorry.” You mumbled dizzily, starting to walk again.

When you arrived at your last class, Kevin was there already.

He smiled kindly when you came in. “Hey.”

You sighed as you slid into the chair. “Today’s a blah day for me.”

He grinned. “We all have those.”

“Yeah...”

~~~~~~~~~~~

Sun Hee puffed out her cheeks impatiently as she waited for her boyfriend to meet her outside the school’s front doors. She leaned heavily against the smooth red bricks.

Her warm breath created a small cloud in the cold, winter air. Bored, she played with the little purple flame in her palm.

“Sun Hee.”

She looked up. “Hey, you’re late.”

Kiseop nodded. “Yeah, sorry. I got caught up in the halls.”

“So what did you want us to meet up here for?”

Kiseop looked down at his feet. “Sun Hee... I know this is going to be hard, but...”

She furrowed her eyebrows. “You’re...breaking up with me.”

“In some way, yes.” Kiseop breathed out slowly, his warm breath visible in the air.

Sun Hee looked down at her feet, feeling her cheeks burn despite the cold.

Kiseop shoved his hands deep inside his coat pockets. “I just don’t think it’s fair for our relationship.”

Sun Hee put her hands together and clenched them, her knuckles turning white. “So you mean you like someone else?”

Kiseop took a few minutes before speaking. “Yeah.” He said simply.

Sun Hee felt her heart break into a million pieces, shattering inside her chest.

“So...I’ll see you around.”

With that, Sun Hee found herself left outside in the cold, still leaning against the brick wall. She sighed and put her head back, running her hand through her blond hair.

And now I’m alone. All by myself.

An abandoned ship sinking in the middle of the ocean.

Me.

Sun Hee.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~