Surrounded by Friends

Whispers of Fire

 

“You’re...awake.” Nana walked into the small kitchen inside the room, her sleepy eyes now wide with surprise.


You shrugged. “Problem?” You went over to the coffee machine which was now flashing, indicating that the coffee was ready. You filled up a warm mug of coffee and handed it to Nana.


She shook her head. “No...Just surprised.” She gratefully accepted the coffee and went over to the cupboard to grab some of the sugar and milk.


You filled a mug of your own and went over to Nana, taking the sugar and dumping a whole handful into your own mug. You filled it with milk, watching as the white liquid swirled into the dark coffee, mixing together.


“You ready for today?” Nana asked, punching you playfully on the arm.


“Mm....” You stared into your steaming coffee thoughtfully. “Maybe.”


She smiled at you. “Don’t be nervous. Sun Hee’s more nervous than you are.”


You didn’t say anything and continued staring thoughtfully at your mug.


“She has more pressure keeping her spot in the school.”


You still didn’t say anything. Instead, you walked over to the table and sat down, leaving your coffee untouched.


Nana took the sugar and milk and carefully placed them back into the cupboard. She walked over and sat across the table opposite from you, gingerly taking a sip of her hot coffee. “You’re ready, _________.”


It was a long time before you spoke.


Maybe I am, maybe I’m not. I guess we’ll see in a few hours.”


Nana said nothing. Instead, she crossed her fingers under the table, willing luck to be on your side.


The two of you sat in a long silence.


“I don’t wear anything fancy, right?”


Nana shook her head. “Sweats will be fine.”


You nodded. “Thanks.” You got up abruptly and left the kitchen, leaving Nana still sipping her half drained cup of coffee.


Hearing the washroom door click and lock into place, Nana leaned back against her chair, looking up at the painted ceiling.


She’s ready....isn’t she?


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


You stared at yourself in the mirror, lightly touching the tattoo on your cheek.


I wonder what would happen if I get banished...


What happens to my body....if I die?


Shaking your head, you slipped into your worn hoodie, feeling the soft, familiar fabric wrap around your skin. You slid your hand over the cool metal handle of the bathroom door, squeezing your eyes together briefly.


You breathed out slowly, feeling your heart beat loudly. You pressed down and with a click, the door unlocked and you stepped out to greet an already dressed Nana.


“Let’s go.” She offered you a grateful smile and you returned with a watery one of your own.


You nodded and followed her to the door.


Just before she was about to turn the handle, she turned around to face you, her eyes twinkling with excitement. “Head up.” She grinned.


Feeling more confident, you felt your heart rise in your chest as she opened the door and you stepped out into the hall.


To your surprise, Kiseop, Hyun Jae, and Kevin were all waiting for you when you stepped out of your room. “Since when have you guys started waiting here?”


Hyun Jae shrugged. “An hour or so ago maybe. Doesn’t matter.”


Kiseop grabbed your hand and squeezed it. “You’re going to be good.”


You looked away and averted your eyes. “Don’t jinx it, lover boy.”


“I’m not.” He said smiling. “It’s a fact.”


“Ugh.” Nana blurted. “PDA somewhere else? Not now.”


You smiled.


Only Nana would be able to be so supportive even if her best friend was dating the guy she loved.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Kiseop held on to your hand tightly as your group of friends escorted you to the stadium.


She’s going to win. I’m not going to lose her.


You seemed to share his thoughts and responded with a reassuring squeeze to his hand.


He smiled sideways at you, but his eyes remained anxious.


“You ready?” Hyun Jae looked at you, her voice soft as her hand paused on the large wooden handle of the stadium.


You looked around at your friends.


Kiseop squeezed your hand again.


Kevin gave you a supportive smile, giving you two thumbs up.


You managed a small laugh, and Nana hugged you when you turned to her.


“Fight.” She whispered in your ear fiercely.


You didn’t say anything for the fear you would start crying.


This might be the last time I can actually hug and look at my friends like this...


“Head up.” She said finally when she let go of the hug.


You nodded, doing your best not to tear up. Turning to Hyun Jae, you nodded gratefully at her.


Nodding back, she yanked open the heavy wooden door.


“And I present you now with Dal’s stadium, made in honour of the fight between two alphas today, Lee Sun Hee and...”


You whispered the next two words, feeling fear grip your heart. “Baek ________.”



~~~~~~~~~~~~~