New Student

Whispers of Fire


You brought down your dripping umbrella and pressed the little button on the side, closing it. Carefully brushing the raindrops off the dark black folds of your favourite umbrella, you firmly wrapped the clasp around it.

Your father pulled open the door for you and you stepped in, looking around the dark atmosphere you had just entered.

“Main office is this way.” Your mother said, turning to the right, set in a firm line.

You followed, gripping the umbrella tightly with white knuckles.

The secretary looked up at you as you walked into the main office. She glanced at your tattoo and took down a few notes.

Your mother busily filled in a few forms and scribbled her signature at the bottom of the paper. She handed the paper back to the secretary and tucked the pen into her purse.

“_________?” Your father stared at you expectantly.

Your mother came over and gave you a brief hug. The hug held no emotion, it was a cold, lifeless hug, but you were used to it. She never hugged her daughter with care because she was never really sure if she raised you properly. She was overly cautious about her actions and often held back.

You were used to it though, and returned the cold hug, with another emotionless one of your own.

You father awkwardly patted you on the back. “Do well, __________. We’ll see you back at home in a month.”

The secretary mumbled something into the phone and looked up at you. Her tattoo was green with a bit of blue. “One of our students will be down here shortly to guide you to your dorm and help you become accustomed to your new surroundings.”

“Neh.”

“Take a seat, please.” She jerked her head in the direction of the leather sofa in the back.

You obediently let your feet shuffle over to the sofa and you sat on top of the worn leather. After two seconds of sitting on the sofa, you felt restless. You were one of those werewolves that needed their energy to be released every once in a while.

You shoved your fingers into your back pocket and yanked out your Ipod. You sighed lightly as your fingers slid over the screen to enter the password.

Temple Run 2.

You pressed your index finger on the little play option in the middle of the screen and flicked your finger up to make your little character jump over a row of fire.

“Are you that bored?”

Your head immediately jerked up and you jumped up instinctively.

A boy that looked around 16 stared at you with a small, little amused smile on his face.

Your eyes scanned his face.

He was baby-faced and his left cheek’s tattoo was only a light crimson. In fact, it was so light it could almost be considered pink. It appeared in the shape of a crescent moon that only took up a small part of his cheek. 

Your eyes trailed down the rest of his body.

His arms were strong and rippled with large muscles. His right leg was in an air cast. You estimated his height to be around 5’ 9”. He grinned at you. “Annyeong, I’m Dongho and I’m a third-year werewolf here at Dal’s. I’m going to be your guide for your first week here at school.”

You heard yourself mutter your own name in response.

He caught you staring at his cast. “Oh,” He wrinkled his nose, reminding you of a pug. “I injured my knee cartilage at training.” He shrugged. “Nothing much, I have to keep this stupid thing on for two months, but I only have two more weeks left.”

The secretary handed him a thin folder of papers. “Here are her class access codes and her copy of the school’s rules and instructions.”

“Kamsahamnida.” He took the folder from her hands and tucked it under his arm. He turned to you with a charming smile. “Let’s go, ________.”

You shoved your Ipod back into the tight back pocket of your black jeans and grabbed your umbrella.

For an injured person, he sure walked fast.

“This is the boy’s dorm entrance.” He gestured to a set of double doors on his left as he lead you through an empty corridor. He walked on a few metres and stopped. “And this is the girl’s dorm entrance.” He took a small plastic card out of his pocket and slid it through the scanner on the side of the door.

The doors swung open without a sound.

“Come on.” He reached into your folder and pulled out a small slip of paper. “You’re in Unit 5, room 27.” He turned a right and then a left, stopping at the second door of the hallway.

A small scanner was in the middle of the door, right where your eye level was.

Dongho grinned. “Stare at the scanner with your left eye.”

You did, and you felt strange as the light shone in your left eye, sending little tingles through your body.

The door clicked.

Dongho continued to smile as he gripped the handle firmly and pushed the door lightly. “Welcome to your room, _______.”

You walked in with your still dripping umbrella and couldn’t help noticing how loud your boots squeaked with water on the ceramic floor.

“You’re going to be sharing a room with another girl.” Dongho explained, nodding at the unmade bed in one of the rooms. “Her roommate was killed in recent battle, so she was living by herself until now.”

You expected to feel at least a little bit shaken by the thought of a dead roommate, but you surprised yourself at how emotionless you felt at the moment.

“Your set of uniform will be found in your closet along with the casual clothes the school has prepared for you.” Dongho explained, walking around with his injured leg.

You shrugged.
Your mother had told you not to bring any clothing because the school would confiscate it all anyway. The school had specially prepared outfits and casual clothing for you, which was why your mother had needed to fill in all the forms with specific detail about you.

Dongho pulled a plastic card similar to the one he had earlier. “This is your access key.” He pressed it into your hand. “You will need this to enter your classes and other places throughout the school, but most places, you’ll just need your eyeball.” He winked cutely at you, something that would have made most girls give in to him.

You didn’t even bat an eyelash.

It wasn’t that you disliked boys, you had just never fallen in love and you didn’t care much for a romantic relationship.

Dongho handed you the rest of the folder. “Everything else you need will be in here. Read over the school rules and expectations carefully and look over your class schedule for tomorrow.” He stared you in the eye. “You ate dinner before you came here?” He asked.

You nodded.

“Araso.” He nodded back. “So you can get accustomed to everything tonight, your roommate Nana will be back eventually and she’ll help you with stuff.”

You nodded, wondering if he would ever stop talking.

“I’ll walk you to class tomorrow.” Dongho flashed you a charming smile. “I don’t normally do this for new students, but I’ll make an exception for you.” He winked.

Again, you didn’t bat an eyelash.

“Tomorrow morning, I’ll be waiting, right in front of your room, araso?” He winked again. “See you soon, _________.” He whispered, Hhis lips millimetres away from your ear. You could feel his warm, peppermint breath brush against your skin as he turned to walk out the door and shut it carefully behind him.

You stared at the door, squinting your eyes. “What the hell was that all about.” You murmured, glaring at the heavy door. You walked into the bedroom and stared at the other bed that was made but cluttered with a whole lot of junk, just like the rest of the room.

You stared disdainfully at a bag that was filled with jewellery and beauty products.

There were two closets, one on each side of the room and you figured the one next to the made bed was yours. You walked over and slid the closet door aside, relieved that it was free of junk and filled with a pressed folded uniform and other neatly folded articles of clothing.

You took the uniform out of the closet and with your other free hand, you slid it across the bed, knocking the bags to join the rest of the room’s cluttered floor. You laid out your uniform on the bed and took a step back, careful not to step on anything.

You surveyed the uniform.

A white dress shirt had the school’s emblem, two crescent moons, one white, one black, sewn on to the left side of the shirt. On top of that was a dark grey, near black cardigan that looked rather thin. A skirt was also set out in front of you. It was plaid which included two shades of grey and black.

You eyed it carefully. The whole set was tailored to fit you specifically.

Click.

You jumped suddenly and got ready to attack whoever walked into the room.

A girl walked into the room and you jumped out at her.

She was taken by surprise, but she had reflexes of her own and she grabbed your ponytail and yanked you to the ground painfully.

You grimaced as you landed on the sharp corner of a jewellery box.

She was about to slam her fist into your face, but she pulled back and her expression turned into one of concern. “OMG. Mianhae!” She gasped and helped you back up. “You must be my new roommate!” She smiled sweetly at you.“I’m Nana.” She held out her hand. “Sorry about the attack and the junk.” She said sheepishly, her cheeks turning pink. “I didn’t know you were coming today.”

You hesitated a split second before you shook her hand. “__________.”

“Nice to meet you!”

You stared at her.

Her tattoo was a navy blue with a little bit of pink mixed in with it. It was in the shape of a simple rose. She had long brown hair that flowed down to her waist in a mass of silky chestnut waves the gracefully fell over her thin shoulders. Her eyes were a dark navy blue, just like any other werewolf’s.

“I like your tattoo.”

You blinked. “...Uh. Thanks?”

“You don’t ever see tattoos so bold in colour...” She breathed. “But at the same time... The black looks like a shadow on your cheek.”

“It wasn’t always there,” You struggled to explain, the words forcing their way out of your mouth. “I was born with just the red, but somewhere along the way, I don’t remember when or how, I got the black part of it.”

“Cool,” Nana smiled, “can I touch it?”

“...Touch it?” You stuttered. “S-sure...”

She stretched out her hand to touch it with her cool hands. “It’s a really pretty tattoo.” She complimented again before putting her hand back down. “Do you want to meet some other girls of our school?”

You shrugged. “Sure.”

She smiled at you. “Come on.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~