Fight

Whispers of Fire

 

A large roar made you twitch slightly as you stared up at the crowds of students and adult werewolves you had never seen before on their feet, cheering, hooting, and clapping.


You stayed frozen in place, a hard expression displayed on your face.


Kiseop gave your hand one final squeeze before heading off to take his own seat in the busy crowds.


You looked straight across the stadium at Sun Hee, who was dressed similar to you in comfy sweats and a tank top. Keeping the same hard expression, you balled up your fists.


She glared back and she tied her hair back, pulling her ponytail together angrily.


“Will all spectators take their seats.” A booming voice crackled from the large speakers above.


The crowds died down and everybody took their seats in hushed whispers.


A tall, thirty something - looking man walked out into the centre of the arena.


You blinked, wondering who this was.


“Welcome, werewolves.”


Sun Hee didn’t look surprised at all. She looked as if she were expecting this man to come out.


But then again, she HAS fought before.


“I am pleased to be holding this fight between Lee Sun Hee, our current school alpha, who has great powers beyond the unimaginable and has held her place for a long time, and Baek _________, who has surprised us all with her sudden discovery of her identity as an alpha.”


You blinked, still keeping the same expression on your face.


“As principal of Dal’s, Yoo Si Hyun, I am honoured to present you these two talented young werewolves who are not to fight their way for the high spot of the female alpha of Dal’s Academy for Werewolves.”


A sudden wave of dizziness overwhelmed you and you faltered, slightly losing your balance. Blinking and ignoring it, you clenched your fists even tighter.


“I am pleased to present you, ladies and gentlemen, the one hundredth and sixth alpha fight at our school!” Yoo Si Hyun snapped his fingers and disappeared from centre of the arena.


You gnawed on your lip, feeling numb and frozen as the crowds deafened your hearing, making you lose slight focus of your surroundings.


No.


You clenched your fists and willed yourself to focus on Sun Hee standing before you, waiting for the sound of the bell which would signal that the two werewolves would be allowed to begin acting.


You shut your eyes for a moment, bathing your small world into a temporary darkness. Dizziness overwhelmed you, thoughts swirling inside your head. Swaying slightly, you snapped your eyes open.


Clang.


The bell rang out loud and clear, its silver shell swaying high above the ceiling.


The crowd died down and the people sank down into their seats and sat back, waiting for either one of you to make the first move.


You stayed rooted to the ground, eyes wide as you watched Sun Hee charge at you at an inhuman speed, her feet kicking up dust on the ground as she came closer and closer.


In a few seconds, you found yourself dangling helplessly in the middle of the air, Sun Hee staring up at you with an angry expression.


The crowd was on their feet, making discouraging noises at you, noticing your helplessness.


You felt even more dizzy in the air, shutting your eyes.


Aren’t you going to do something?


You gasped slightly, hearing Sun Hee’s voice whisper in your head. You opened your eyes and looked down at Sun Hee to see her smiling at you.


Her grip on you in the air grew tighter, crushing your lungs.


You gasped for air frantically.


This can’t be the end...


Even if I lose...


I’m going to show everyone what I’m truly made of.


Sun Hee’s teasing voice popped into your thoughts once again.


It’s no fun fighting you as an opponent.


Gritting your teeth, you felt yourself focus despite your crushed lungs and dizziness. “SHUT UP, SUN HEE!”


You felt as if you were exploding with anger as you felt her grip on you release, dropping you to the ground. Wasting no time, you held out your hands and aimed some of your power at her, the familiar black and grey beams lashing out at her body.


She responded with a more powerful one of her own, her purple colour slamming into your black.


The crowd gasped and several werewolves clapped at her comeback.


Grimacing, you lashed out at her once again, grey and black surrounding her body in black flames.


She winced as she wiped off the sweat on her forehead.


Running forward, you aimed a kick at her stomach.


She bent over, the air knocked out of her.


You backed up and got ready to run and hit her again.


She rose into the air suddenly, her cheeks pink. Raising her hands, her purple whips of fire surrounded you, your previous black flames vanishing.


Her purple whips wrapped themselves tightly around your body, bounding your arms and legs, immobilizing you. They squeezed your body tightly and you felt your lungs being crushed once again.


Slamming you on to the ground painfully, she floated down next to you, her face contorted in a mix between rage and intense concentration.


Suddenly, her fist slammed into your skull and your breath was taken away.


You had not anticipated her to fight you with the abilities of her human body. Helplessly, you could only watch as she slammed another punch right into your face.


Your blood trickled down to the dirt ground, mixing in with the dust.


Sun Hee continued, outstandingly strong for somebody her size.


The crowd roared out loudly, hundreds of different noises coming from the bleachers.


You grimaced as you suffered another blow to your head and you coughed, specks of blood flying out from your mouth and staining Sun Hee’s tank top.


She didn’t stop.


You closed your eyes, another one of Sun Hee’s punches claiming the side of your skull.


The nausea was at its worst now and you felt like barfing up your blood.


Struggling, you managed to wiggle one arm free of Sun Hee’s purple whips and you punched her right in the face, catching her in the jaw, hearing a horrifying crack as your fist connected with her face.


She fell back, her whips releasing their tight hold on you as she lost some of her focus.


You got up unsteadily on to your feet and brought your hand up to your forehead to wipe away some blood. You felt your burning hot forehead under your dirty palm.


It was so hot that you felt as if it was glowing.


Coughing up a bit of her own blood, Sun Hee got up too, her fists clenched as she glared at you.


You stared back, feeling a few strands of hair which had escaped your ponytail stick to the back of your neck with your sweat and blood.


She raised her hands.


Another strong wave of dizziness washed over you and you stumbled backwards.


Sun Hee’s whips hit you again.


You fell on to the ground once again, black dots filling your vision.


What’s happening to me?


Sun Hee walked over and kicked your limp body so that you rolled over as you meekly hissed in pain.


You were drained of your energy already. Your breath came out in shallow gasps and you felt as if you were about to die.


Sun Hee’s foot connected with your side again, sending you flying several feet away from her.


The crowds roared again and you felt numb as you lay there on the ground, blood still pouring from your head.


Sun Hee came and stood directly over you, her hands now aimed at your head. “I guess this is goodbye, ________.”


You closed your eyes as the world around you continued to spin.


Is this the end?


Am I really going to end here? Die here?


I...


Your eyes flew open.


Energy flowed through your body as you looked up at Sun Hee who was still standing over you, a dark purple flame flaring in her hands.


You suddenly felt better. Your head wasn’t spinning, and all you wanted right now was to have a good fight. Knocking away Sun Hee’s hands away with your fist, you jumped up and stared at her defiantly.


She drew a deep breath. “What...”


You raised your hand at her.


She gasped as she stopped moving. “I can’t move!” She screamed out, silencing the entire congregation of spectators.


The noises died down as every single pair of eyes were on you.


Slowly, you brought your hand up to your burning left cheek. Your fingers brushed over the tattoo, your skin burning. Looking down at your own arms, you realized you were surrounded by a dark grey glow.


You walked over to Sun Hee and she looked back at you with terrified dark blue eyes.


She whispered your name with her cracked quivering lips as you gave her a sinister smile.


You slowly placed your hand on her immobilized shoulder, looking up at all the spectators who had grown dead silent.


Your smile grew a little bigger.


Sun Hee screamed out as the black flame in your palm began to burn and spread through her immovable body.


The flames spread from her feet to the ground, from the ground throughout the entire fighting arena.


Your smile didn’t waver one bit as you continued to stare at Sun Hee, the black flames flaring in your eyes.


Engulfed in the fire for the final few seconds, you felt your energy run out once again as both you and Sun Hee fell back to the ground completely out of breath.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~