Strangers

Whispers of Fire

 

 

“Let’s go back to school.” Sun Hee said breathlessly, her cheeks pink.

Kiseop nodded.

Sun Hee grabbed his hand again as they began making their way back inside the school through the falling snow. The way back took a long time, and the entire time they were silent.

Kiseop didn’t know what to do now. His world was confused, different feelings and emotions swirling around him, surrounding him in dizziness.

They re-entered the school, their uniforms lightly damp from the fresh snow that had fallen over them.

Sun Hee shook her head, little wet droplets flying everywhere.

Normally, Kiseop would’ve laughed or a bit, but he was totally out of it today. He blankly ran a hand through his wet hair and wiped his hand on his pants.

“Kiseop?” Sun Hee looked sideways at him.

The air around them had been a little awkward ever since Kiseop had knocked Sun Hee out the other day.

“Huh?” He turned to her. “Yeah?”

“Are you okay?”

“Mhm. Why wouldn’t I be? Just tired.” He nodded. “Want me to take you to class early?” He asked, quickly changing the subject.

“Uh...sure.” Sun Hee agreed, letting him grab her hand.

They continued their awkward silence as they walked to class.

“I guess this is it.” Kiseop dropped her hand when they finally stopped at her Mystic Knowledge classroom.

Her fingers grew cold when they dropped back to her side and she curled her hand into a fist. “Uh...yeah. Thanks.” She quickly stood up on her toes and kissed Kiseop lightly on the cheek. “See you at lunch.”

Kiseop nodded, watching her as she entered the classroom and handed in her access card.

It’s not right.

I shouldn’t act.

It’s not fair to Sun Hee.

With a heavy, melancholy sigh, he pivoted and walked down the nearly empty hallway.

~~~~~~~~~~

You pushed back your chair, hands wrapped tightly around your now lukewarm cup of coffee. You decided to go to class early, seeing that you had nothing to do anyway but think.

You exited the dining room, looking down at your feet as you put one black flat in front of the other, each one taking you one step closer to the classroom.

“_________!”

You looked up.

Kiseop smiled at you as he jogged over and fell into step with you. “Hey.”

You nodded. “Hey.”

“So...”

You looked back down at your feet.

“How...have you been doing?” Kiseop asked, trying to make conversation with you.

“Good.” Came your reply.

He suddenly grabbed your arm and you stopped, head still down. “Okay, _______. Are you still mad about the other day? Because I-”

“I’m not mad.” You said quietly.

Kiseop looked down at you.

“Um...” You murmured nervously, your head still down. You let out a low, nervous chuckle. “I’ll see you around, Kiseop.”

He let go of your arm, startled.

You hurried away to your Mystic Knowledge class, your heart fluttering.

“Access key?”

You handed your card to her and she nodded, giving it back.

No one was in the room except for Sun Hee who was sitting in the back, unusually quiet.

Taking a chance, you slid into the seat next to her.

She shifted slightly, uncomfortable, but didn’t object.

The two girls sat there in silence, thick tension building up in the air between them.

Sun Hee finally broke the silence. “Are you having it difficult too?”

You ducked your head, your hair falling over your shoulders to make a curtain between the two of you. You were grateful that you hadn’t decided to tie it up in your normal ponytail this morning. Biting your lip, you nodded slowly. “Yeah...”

Sun Hee sighed and leaned back against her chair. “I don’t know what to say.” She laughed awkwardly, putting her hands in her lap.

You stayed in the same position with your hair

I know what I should say. I should tell you that your boyfriend kissed me.

“I would really like to say ‘let’s just forget about it.’” She sighed, sitting back up. “But it’s not that easy, you know?”

“I know. I wish it were.” You said softly, clenching your hands under the table nervously. You knuckles turned a milky white.

She fidgeted. “I can’t really say ‘let’s make up and be friends!’ The world...our society just doesn’t work this way.”

You remained silent, the only sound in the room was the sound of Sun Hee and you breathing out gently.

“So.” She turned to look at you evenly. “I’ll see you in a while, _______. Best of luck to you.”

You felt an unexpected shiver roll down your spine as she spoke the next words.

“May the best alpha win.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~