Loyalty

Whispers of Fire

You woke up and sat up, stretching your back, your joints clicking. You blinked and stared out the window where the bright sunlight shone into your eyes. Wincing after being momentarily blinded, you gingerly slipped off your bed, shivering slightly as your bare feet came in contact with the cold floor.

You brought your hand to your forehead.

To your relief, it had cooled down and was now only a little warmer than the normal temperature.

“You awake?”

Nana was running her comb through her long, brown hair, wincing as the teeth got caught in one of her tangled curls.

“Yeah.” You smiled. “I’m feeling much better.”

“That’s...good.” She replied a little coldly, her face showing no expression at all.

You blinked, feeling your heart plummet to your toes when you remembered her words.

“I’d be jealous because I’ve liked him for five years.”

“Are you going to your classes today?” Her voice broke into your thoughts.

“Huh?” You blinked again. “Y-yeah.” You stuttered as you got up and made your way over to the bathroom to get ready.

You slipped into your flats and went over to Nana to tap her on the shoulder.

She jumped, startled.

“Sorry,” You said apologetically. “I’m ready.”

“It’s fine.” She nodded and the two of you headed out the door for breakfast.

~~~~~~~~~~~

You walked alongside Nana, both of you silent as you passed through the large corridors of the school.

Somebody grabbed your arm and you flinched and tensed, ready to hit them.

“Hey, it’s just me.”

You relaxed, recognizing the owner’s voice. “Kevin.” You sighed.

He grinned at you, then waved at Nana.

She smiled in response.

He turned back to you. “Have you seen the stadium built in your honor yet?”

You fell silent for a long time before responding. “They’re...done?”

Kevin’s smile faded. “Yeah... Haven’t you seen it?”

Nana shook her head, speaking up for you. “She’s been sick, of course she hasn’t.”

“You should go now!” Kevin said brightly, a little too enthusiastically.

You cringed.

“Maybe later. We’re going to-”

You touched Nana’s arm. “Wait. I want to see it.”

~~~~~~~~~~~

You looked around in both awe and horror as you surveyed the plush spectator seats and the vast empty arena in the centre. You could imagine the roaring crowds of spectators yelling out their criticism from their comfortable viewing seats.

Nana looked at your face worriedly, hoping you weren’t nervous. “Trust me, when you’re out there, you won’t even notice the crowd.”

“You’ll do fine!” Kevin supported confidently on your left.

You said nothing, not even acknowledging your friends’ words.

Kevin and Nana exchanged a worried look.

“What...What if I don’t win?”

“What are you talking about?” Nana said softly. “You’re going to win.”

“What if I don’t win?” You asked again, much more firmly this time. “What would you guys do?”

A long silence fell over all three of you.

“Then I’d leave the school with you.” Kevin said at last, breaking the silence.

~~~~~~~~~

“The fight will be two days from now, you are aware of that, right?”

You looked up at the head trainer, brushing away a few loose strands of sweaty hair from your face. “There’s no backing out, is there?”

He shook his head with a small smile. “I’m afraid not, _______.” He paused. “You’re not sick anymore...are you?” He added.

You shook your head. “No, I’m fine now. It was just a sudden fever, I guess.”

“I...see.” He nodded.

You noticed he was acting a little strange, but you decided it was best to keep silent.

“I hope you’re ready.”

You blinked in confusion. “Aren’t I? Haven’t you trained me?”

His small smile grew a little bit wider. “I’ve trained you to the best I could. The rest is up to you and your mental power.”

You got up from your chair in his office, heading for the door.

“Oh, and by the way,” He called after you.

You stopped, your arm halfway extended towards the silver door handle.

“Good luck.”

~~~~~~~~~~~

“Want to go for a little outing?” Kiseop asked, winking at you.

You turned to him, staring at him suspiciously. “What kind of ‘little outing’?”

Just shooting you a wide smile, he grabbed your arm and tugged you away with him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~