The Qualities of a True Friend

Whispers of Fire

I have to get to _________.

Kiseop felt adrenaline soar through his body as his legs muscles flexed as he sprinted through the hallways.

I have to get to her... Before everyone finds out.

...Before everyone finds out that I broke up with Sun Hee.

“Kiseop!”

Kiseop slowed down a bit, hearing Kevin’s voice call his name.

Kevin jogged over to him. “Where are you going?”

“_________.” He breathed. “I have to find her. Do you know where she is?”

“I think she just left. She’s probably heading back to the dorm with Nana and Hyun Jae.”

Kiseop didn’t even bother to thank Kevin as he took off, running through the large wave of students.

Kevin stared after him and shrugged before continuing to walk.

Kiseop saw you about to enter the girls’ dorm and he doubled his pace. “________!”

You, Nana, and Hyun Jae turned around in surprise.

Nana stared at him with a blank expression as he ran up to you and grabbed your arm.

“__________, let’s talk.”

You let him continue to hold on to your arm as Nana spoke up.

“I’m not letting her go anywhere.”

“Nana...” Kiseop turned to her. “I really need to talk to her. In private.”

“Let her.” Hyun Jae said in her normal gentle manner. “It’s not like you’re her mother.”

Kiseop gratefully flashed a smile at Hyun Jae.

She returned it with a shy grin of her own.

Nana crossed her arms. “Fine.”

You flashed her a reassuring smile before walking away with Kiseop.

Nana shook her head, a small smile sneaking up the side of her face. “I just don’t know what to do with her.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kiseop tugged you along as he walked swiftly out the back exit.

“What is it?” You asked. “Did something happen?”

“__________.”

The air outside was still cold, the shimmering flakes settling down gently on top of your thin ponytail.

You stared at him, your dark eyes gazing into his similar ones.

“__________!” Out of nowhere, he grabbed you and brought you close, pulling you in for a tight hug.

You were surprised at first when your head thudded on to his firm chest and his strong arms wrapped around you. But slowly, you relaxed and smiled, wrapping your own arms around his waist.

“Would you be my girlfriend, _________?” He whispered.

“I would.” You murmured back, smiling into the warm embrace.

Gently, he took one arm off your waist and put his large hand over your small ones on his own waist.

You laced your fingers with his, fireworks bursting from the bottom of your heart.

~~~~~~~~~~~

You climbed into bed, burying yourself underneath the fluffy blankets. “Nana.”

“Hm?” She murmured from the other side of the room.

“What...What would you think if I told you I was dating Kiseop?”

She stayed silent for a while as you waited patiently for her response in the cool darkness of the night.

“I...”

You continued to lie in your bed patiently.

“I would be jealous.” She whispered.

Waves of cold washed over your body, numbing you from head to toe.

She breathed out. “I’d be jealous because I’ve liked him for five years.”

The cold spread to your fingertips as you clenched your fists tightly.

She stopped talking, the sound of her breathing filling up the room’s silence.

You only bit your lip in silence.

“You’re dating him, aren’t you.” She breathed quietly, her voice full of fading hope and disappointment.

You squeezed your eyes closed, wishing you had never brought Kiseop up. “Yes.”

“I’m saying this now so neither of us gets hurt in the future.” She said softly. “I want you to have it all out in the open because I don’t want to be the awful friend that ruins it all.”

You said nothing in response and stayed still in your little nest of sweaty blankets. You felt sick all over as you continued to listen.

“I’m happy for you, ________.” She sighed.

You felt yourself grip on to the edge of your blankets.

“Really...” She said quietly, her voice catching in . “happy.”


~~~~~~~~~~~~