Betrayed

Whispers of Fire

 

You crashed into somebody. 
 
“___________!” 
 
Your arms instinctively came forward and wrapped themselves around him. “Kiseop.”
 
He hugged you back briefly before both of you pulled away. “Did...Did you just wake up?”
 
“Yeah.” 
 
He ran a hand through his messy bed hair before speaking. “Are we the only ones?”
 
You shrugged. “I’m not sure.” You grabbed his arm. “And I still don’t know where Nana is. There’s no one called Nana registered in our school hospital records currently, I think.”
 
Kiseop wasn’t listening. His eyes were staring straight ahead and glazed over. 
 
“Kiseop?” You dropped his arm.
 
Blinking, he stared down at you. “________, something’s going to happen. I don’t like the feeling of it.” 
 
You were speechless, wondering what on earth he was talking about.
 
“We’ve got to find Nana. Now.” He grabbed your arm. “She’s with them.” Walking swiftly with long strides, he pulled you along, talking quickly. “Don’t ask how I know, I just do. Trust me.”
 
You didn’t say anything and kept up with his fast pace, almost having to run along. 
 
Kiseop led you out of the school. 
 
It was cool and misty outside, the evening sun casting its last few rays before disappearing completely. A bit of rain outside, drizzling over the both of you lightly, making your hair damp. 
 
Some of your hair stuck to the back of your neck uncomfortably, but you ignored it and went on in silence.
 
It wasn’t until you finally looked up you realized where Kiseop was going. 
 
“Kiseop!”
 
He paused for a moment to look at you.
 
“Why are we going to the human world?”
 
“Because...She’s somewhere in this world.” He caught sight of you confused expression. “I just... know it, okay? Trust me.”
 
“You know I trust you.”
 
The both of you took off once again, sprinting in the cold wet rain. 
 
You didn’t even feel the mud splashing against your legs until you lost your footing a bit and almost fell into the slick mud. 
 
“You okay?”
 
You nodded to show Kiseop that you were okay. Regaining your balance, the two of you continued on.
 
~~~~~~~~~~~
 
He stopped in front of what appeared to be an abandoned old factory in the city. “This is it.”
 
You stared up at the cold, grey factory, wondering how Nana was surviving inside. “Let’s go in.” You began walking to the entrance. 
 
“Wait.” Kiseop grabbed you and pulled you back. “________.”
 
“Shouldn’t we go in immediately?” You asked, puzzled.
 
Kiseop suddenly leaned down and planted his lips softly against yours, making your heart thud against your chest. He pulled away too soon, his dark blue eyes searching your face, as if memorizing every last detail of how you looked like. 
 
“Just in case.” He said softly, gripping your arm tightly. 
 
You smiled warmly. “I’ll be fine. Promise.”
 
~~~~~~~~~~~
 
You shivered as you pushed through another steel door. It was freezing inside, and it seemed like every door you opened, you got colder. Your fingers were already numb. 
 
You were surprised the doors weren’t locked. But however, it seemed like every door you opened, it lead to another room with more doors. 
 
I need to be stronger... KEEP MOVING.
 
Bravely, you continued on, but you felt as if you were walking in circles.
 
Every room looked the same. Each room had the same amount of steel doors and no windows. Cold air blasted throughout each room, and when you opened a door to another room, you dropped to your knees and sighed, the thick darkness of the room falling over you.
 
Where IS Nana? 
 
I hope our plan works. If Kiseop fails to defeat all the people on guard for this place... 
 
You shook your head and got up, telling yourself to continue on with your part of the plan. Walking forward, you picked the closest door to your right and pulled it open.
 
As expected, it was another room. 
 
You grew colder and you rubbed at your bare shoulders, wearing only a tank top and the school’s sweat pants. 
 
“Welcome to our home.”
 
You gasped as you spotted a dark, hooded figure suddenly appear in the centre of the room, blending in with the dark shadows. 
 
“I’m so sorry our guest is so cold. Poor thing.”
 
Her voice was icy and delicate, but threatening at the same time and your hands gripped your arms tighter. 
 
Laughing softly to herself, the figure waved her arm across the room, and bright orange flames suddenly flashed throughout the sides of the room. 
 
You hadn’t noticed that there were candles lined up along the walls of the room. 
 
A strong sweet scent floated through the air. It smelled so nice and warm, you felt yourself thawing already. 
 
“It’s a nice scent, isn’t it?” She laughed again. “I made it myself.”
 
You glared. “Where is Nana?”
 
“Are you lost? I’m so sorry you couldn’t find your way around our place. What kind of host am I?”
 
You clenched your fists. “WHERE. IS. NANA.” You repeated with a steely voice that sounded so dangerous, you scared yourself a bit.
 
To your dismay, the figure laughed.
 
“Right here.” Said a familiar voice behind the figure.
 
You felt your eyes widen. “Nana...”
 
Something isn’t right...
 
The scent of the candles...
 
The sweet scent filled your mind, swirling around, making you feel dizzy, but delightfully warm at the same time. 
 
You attempted to stop breathing in the scent, but you couldn’t help it. Your body wanted more.
 
“Nana.... Are you okay?”
 
She laughed loudly, and you felt the cruel laughter pierce your heart. 
 
This wasn’t Nana.
 
She’s changed....
 
“What did you do to her?!” You screamed out at the hooded figure. 
 
The figure shrugged, a small smirk playing on her lips. 
 
In the darkness, you saw Nana fidget impatiently. 
 
The figure leaned in towards Nana, whispering something.
 
Nana sighed then nodded, and you saw something gripped in her hands, silver glinting in the dark.
 
Knives...?
 
The scent seemed to grow thicker and it filled your thoughts, distracting you from thinking.
 
Focus...Focus... FOCUS!
 
The thick scent finally took over your mind and you felt yourself grow tired, your eyelids dropping. 
 
Taking in a deep breath of the air around you, your knees slowly sunk to the ground. 
 
It's like I'm high on drugs or something... 
 
Closing your eyes, you let the sweet scent envelope your body, letting it take over and lead your mind into unconsciousness. 
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~