Why?

Whispers of Fire

You gasped as your gaze landed on your best friend’s still body. After a few seconds of cold shock, you sprinted over, kneeling on the ground next to her body, unconcerned with the continuous fighting and supernatural fighting around you.

 

“Nana!” You rasped, your throat dry as you felt a burning heat run through your body.

 

I killed her, I killed her, I killed her… oh my gosh, what have I done?

 

You gently put your hand underneath her back, lifting her upper body off the ground and into your arms.

 

“Nana…”

 

She coughed, her eyes fluttering.

 

You dropped her in surprise.

 

She grimaced, coughing up blood.

 

You blinked unsure of what to do. “Nana…?” You tentatively reached out for her hand.

 

She hurriedly swatted you away. “No.” Her voice came out sharply and you jerked back, remembering that the both of you were on different sides of the battle. She struggled to sit up, and all you could do was stay frozen in place and watch her painfully push herself up.

 

She glared at you. “You did this to me.” She stood up, her stance wobbly. She brought her fists up in front of her face, ready to fight you.

 

Slowly, you backed away. “I’m not going to fight you.”

 

“Fight me.” She growled through gritted teeth. “If you’re not a coward.”

 

“Are you serious?” You retorted, your concern now completely replaced by a burning anger inside your chest. “You’re the coward here, Nana. You won’t even tell me what happened that made you hate me!”

 

She growled again. “I’ll tell you right here and now!” Her fists clenched tighter, her knuckles a milky white. “You’re everything I’ve ever wanted to be. You’re an alpha, you’re the strongest, you’ve been given a second chance in life, you even have the boy I love.” Her eyes were watery, as if she were about to cry. “Give me a reason to not hate you!”

 

You stood there limply, arms hanging at your sides.

 

“I’ve been fully supportive of you all along, I even suppressed all my jealousy because you were my best friend, but you know what? It pained me every single day that you took everyone and everything for granted, you didn’t realize what everyone had done for you. What I had done for you.”

 

Tears were streaming down her face now.

 

“All you could do was sit there and mope about how bad your life was! You never focused on anything good about your life! You were constantly depressed and none of us could do anything about it because you wouldn’t let us talk to you about your problems! All you were doing was being a depressed little .”

 

“I wonder how long everyone else will tolerate you.” She broke out in a sob. “Because I’m just done with you.”

 

She dropped her fists and sprinted away.

 

You were frozen, letting the truth of her words sink in, your stomach clenching into knots. You broke out into a sprint and pushed yourself in the direction she had run. “Nana!” You screamed, your voice cracking, barely audible over the roar of the fighting.

 

“NANA!” You screamed again, your voice ripping from your throat. You pushed past a pack of angry, snapping wolves, ignoring them as you continued pushing through to find your old best friend.

 

“NANA!” You called again, barely able to even hear your own voice over the sounds of snarling and yelling. You continued blindly shoving your way through the mass of wolves and supernatural creatures, not caring, only chasing after Nana.

 

You gasped as a sword slashed at your leg, letting you tumble to the ground as blood began to well from the light cut.

 

People and wolves trampled the ground around you from all about as you sat there numbly, the blood slowly oozing out your shallow wound.

 

You brought one of your dirt-smeared hands to your face and when you brought it back down, it was wet. You hadn’t realized you were crying.

 

The tears streamed freely down your face and you felt your chest heave as a sob escaped you. “Nana… Please don’t leave me...”

 

You scrambled to your feet, ignoring the stinging cut. You sloppily wiped away your tears with your forearm, blinking rapidly.  

 

I can’t stop now though.

 

“Nana!” You wailed as you pushed forward again, this time, your palms glowing, filled with power.

 

You blindly pushed forward, not caring who or what you killed and injured along the way, until you finally found yourself at the end of the seemingly never-ending fighting.

 

Nana was standing there, whispering something into Hana’s ear.

 

Your eyes grew wide.

 

What was the point of chasing her…?

 

They turned to look at you.

 

.

 

Hana grinned.

 

Immediately, wolves lunged at you from the trees, shifting into humans as they came at you.

 

You were frozen in place, unable to think or react.

 

“Get her!”

 

They grabbed your arms and twisted them behind your back, kicking your knees until you fell to the ground, wincing as the sharp rocks dug into your flesh.

 

Hana just smirked as she turned her back to you, continuing her conversation with Nana.

 

One of the wolves - a woman, flung her foot into your stomach, knocking the breath out of you as you hung your head.

 

“_________!”

 

Your head snapped up.

 

A wolf jumped out, surprising the woman as it knocked her over.

 

You took that as a chance. Everyone’s grip on you had slackened, as Jaehyo had startled them. You pushed yourself up quickly and swung your leg at them, mentally thankful for your flexibility. You shifted, growling at them dangerously, your fur glowing a dangerous dark, charcoal grey. You lunged at them.

 

Both you and Jaehyo worked together, finally knocking out every single one of them. The two of you may have killed a few, but you were unconcerned with them for now.

 

You let out a breath and glanced at Jaehyo.

 

Thank you.

 

He nodded, sprinting back into the woods, his muscular hind legs pushing powerfully.

 

You turned too, but stopped. You looked behind your shoulder, your ears flattened as you stared at Hana and Nana.

 

And you guys.

 

You dug your foot into the ground, your dark blue eyes flashing.

 

I’ll deal with you later.

 

With a powerful leap, you threw yourself back into the midst of battle.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

please comment QQ