Don't Let Down Your Guard Yet

Whispers of Fire

 

You finally became fully awake and alert the next evening. You sat up slowly, leaning back against a pillow. As you leaned back, you felt something tugging the skin on your arm. Looking down, you realized it was the needle of the drip that was inserted in your forearm.


“This is so dumb.” You mumbled, glaring at the needle.


No one else was in the room and it was dead quiet. The only sound heard was the steady dripping of the liquid in the plastic pouch hooked above your bed, connected to the needle on your arm.


Sighing, you examined the rest of your body.


You were covered in multiple bruises, especially on your legs and back, probably from Sun Hee kicking you so often in the fight. There was a long, deep cut on the back of your calf which stung whenever you moved or touched it. But other than that, everything else seemed fine.


I’m bored.


Looking down at your hands, you let your thoughts wander and flow freely.


Arrived at Dal’s Academy with your void “parents”.


The boy wearing an air cast on his leg greeted you with a freakishly wide smile.


He ended up ignoring you, and making up for his absence with a dumb letter.


Made quite a few new friends, fell in love for the very first time.


Boyfriend turned out to be your long lost childhood friend who saved your life.


The boyfriend who... was dating Sun Hee, the alpha you defeated.


The boyfriend who... was dating Sun Hee, the girl who killed Hana.


The boyfriend who... was dating Sun Hee, the girl who killed his sister.


You suddenly sat up straighter, wincing a bit as the bedsheets rubbed against the cut on your calf.


Why...why would Kiseop date the girl who killed his own sister?


...Someone who killed his own flesh and blood?



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Nana pushed open the door for you and you walked in, nodding your head to say thanks.


“You okay?”


You looked up. “Yeah. I guess.” You shrugged. “No fever.”


Nana paused for a second with a strange look on her face, one that you weren’t able to read.


“Good.” She finally said simply.


You squinted your eyes halfway, her expression invading your thoughts. “Did...Sun Hee leave yet?”


“Uh...yeah. She got banished as soon as she was up and able to walk again. She wasn’t even completely healed yet. They don’t let her take the time to linger around here in the dorms.”


You looked away, feeling slightly guilty.


As if reading your thoughts, Nana put her hand on your shoulder. “Well, it was bound to happen to one of you.”


You nodded, swallowing the lump in your throat.


“You should rest.” She suggested gently.


You shook your head. “I’ve had a lot of rest for the last two days. I’m good. I don’t want to spend more time sleeping my off.”


She laughed, but you couldn’t help thinking that it sounded a little forced. “Well, you start classes again soon, so don’t worry.”


“I’m not. I’m just really bored.”


She sighed with a small smile. “Everyone’s been talking about you these days. When you return to classes, you’re going to be the new celebrity.”


“I prefer not to be in the center of attention.”


She rolled her eyes, her hand dropping from your shoulder back to her sides. “Well, you’re lucky to have a great boyfriend and the alpha status. Not everyone gets that, you know.”


You stared at her directly in the eyes.


Her dark blue eyes were strong, brave, and defiant, but it showed that inside, she was hurting.


Oh, poor Nana.


She keeps getting all these reasons to despise me for, but instead, she’s being so supportive.


And here I am in front of her.


Girlfriend of the boy she likes so much.


In the position and with the powers she always dreamed of having.


She doesn’t deserve all this pain.


She shrugged and looked away. “But... I’m glad you have that status in the school. I’d rather you than Sun Hee.”


You smiled, a queasy feeling gripping your stomach. “Thanks, Nana.” Suddenly, out of nowhere, you reached out and pulled her in, hugging her tightly.


She was surprised, but she quickly hugged you back, relaxing into the hug.


“Don’t worry about Sun Hee.” She murmured. “We all knew you were going to win. And besides, it had to happen to one of you. You’re just better than she is. Don’t worry about it.”


She backed out from the hug and gave you a friendly smile.


Despite Nana’s words, you still felt uneasy.


Somehow, you knew this wasn’t the end quite yet.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Short update, sorry.