Nine

The Fallen

 

"What about this one?" Suho held up a shirt with a design that looked like it should be worn by a ten year old.

"Umm, it's not really my style," you said slowly and took the shirt from him, hanging it back on the rack.

 You continued to walk around the store with Suho following you, carrying the bags of clothes from the previous stores the two of you visited.

"This is cute," you pulled off a strapless, knee length dress from a rack and held against your body.

"No!" Suho said a little too quickly.

He coughed and dropped him eyes to the ground when you raised your eyebrows at him.

"I mean," he mumbled, trying to find the right words to say.

"Are you trying to say that it wouldn't look good on me?" you asked with no emotion and stifled a laugh when Suho snapped his head up in alarm.

"No! I'm sure that dress would look great on you!" he bit his lip and focused his eyes on something across the store, "It's just that it's kind of chilly right now and-"

"I was just joking," you laughed, cutting off his spew of words, and placed the dress back on its rack, "I'm not really one to wear dresses anyways."

Suho let out a silent sigh in relief as he followed you towards a rack of autumn sweaters.

"That one's nice," he commented as you held up a light grey knit with three quarter sleeves.

"The material's really soft," you rubbed the end of the sleeve between your fingers, "Would it be okay if I got one?"

"Of course it's okay, why do you keep asking every time you want something?" he laughed.

"Because all of this is starting to add up," you pointed to the bags, "Those clothes weren't that cheap even though a few of them were on sale."

Suho let out a sigh and shifted all the bags to one hand, grabbing the sweater from you with the other, "We told you back at Homebase that it's not a problem. Do you want this color?"

You innocently nodded your head, a small smile on your face.

"Okay, then. Let's go pay for it," he turned around and started heading towards the front of the store.

"Will this be all for today?" the young girl behind the register asked as Suho handed her the sweater.

When she looked up from the counter, you noticed how her eyes lit up when they landed on the boy standing next to you, a flirtatious smile gracing her red lips.

Suho placed the bags on the ground and pulled out his wallet from his pocket, seeming to not notice how she was pretty much flirting with him.

"Yes, that's it," he gave her a sweet smile.

You felt an uneasy feeling in your stomach form when you heard her high pitched giggle as she scanned the bar code on the tag.

'Why are you like this, Miyoung?' you asked yourself, 'Suho's not your boyfriend, he's not your anything.'

You turned your head to look away from the girl behind the register. As you stared out the front window of the store, a young boy about your age, dressed in a hoodie and earphones in his ears, walked by and met your eyes.

He gave you a small smile and your eyes continued to follow his figure as he walked down the sidewalk, almost as if you were in a trance.

"Miyoung?"

You quickly turned around to see Suho looking down at you.

"Are you ready to go?" he asked.

"Oh, mhmm," you hummed and walked towards the door.

When you stepped out onto the sidewalk, you looked around to see any signs of the boy but found none.

"Do you want to go get something to eat?" Suho asked, "There's a café right down the street," he pointed in the opposite direction of where the boy was walking.

Suho frowned a little when you didn't respond and continued to scan the crowd of people walking around the two of you.

"Miyoung?" he called out, bringing your attention back to him.

"Huh? Oh, yeah, sounds great," you mumbled and followed him down the sidewalk while taking glances over your shoulder, hoping to see the boy once more.

---

A waiter sat the two of you down at a table in a small fenced area outside of the café along the sidewalk.

He handed you your menus and gave you both a bow before leaving.

Suho kept his eyes on you as your silently scanned the menu, looking at all the different options the café had to offer.

"Are you mad at me?" he asked suddenly.

You looked up from your menu and saw Suho staring back at you with scared eyes.

"What? No, why I would I be mad at you?"

"Because of what happened in the store," he said softly, looking away from you, "with that girl."

Your eyes widened slightly, "You knew she was flirting with you?"

"How could I not?" he let out an embarrassed laugh, "She wasn't exactly being subtle about it."

You pursed your lips and looked down at your menu again.

"But she's not my type," he added.

"Why?" you asked, "She was pretty."

"Yeah, but any girl who is that willing to flirt with a guy that she doesn't even know just isn't for me," he shook his head with his nose crinkled, "But you don't have to lie to me. I know you were upset."

You let out a sigh. How he could read you like a book, you didn't have the slightest clue.

"It's okay. It's not your fault that you're good looking," you mumbled.

Suho's eyes lit up and a smirk appeared on his face, "You think I'm good looking?"

"Well, yeah and so does a good portion of the female population," you laughed and motioned for him to lean forward.

"I don't know if you know," you whispered across the table, "But there's a table of girls to your right that haven't been able to take their eyes off of you ever since we sat down."

"Really?" he whispered back and slowly turned his head.

Just like you said, a table of three girls quickly turned around and looked down at their plates when Suho looked at them.

"Wow, Miyoung, I must say I'm impressed," he leaned back in his chair, "You are quite the observant one."

You shrugged your shoulders and laughed as your waiter returned to your table.

He walked back inside after quickly taking your orders and collecting your menus.

"So I've been meaning to ask," you started, propping your elbows up on the table and resting your chin against your hands.

He chuckled softly, "More questions?"

"I didn't really think that these were appropriate to ask in front of all the guys."

"Okay," he sat up in his chair, "go ahead."

"How did you become a Guardian?" you asked, choosing your words carefully.

"You mean like how I died," he stated. 

You nodded your head slowly.

"You don't have to answer if you don't want to," you added when he went silent for a few seconds.

"No, no, I'll answer it," he smiled, "Just give me a moment to collect my thoughts."

You watched him take a few slow breaths as he stared down at the table.

"Okay, I guess I'll just start from the beginning," he nodded, "I'm from Seoul but my family took a vacation to Jeju once. One day, we were all at the beach, just playing in the water and sand. My mom called us in because it was starting to get late, but my two little siblings didn't want to get out of the water. And suddenly, my little brother was yelling for help, screaming that my sister was getting caught in the waves."

"I ran down to the beach as fast I as I could and jumped in to save her," he continued, as he kept his eyes on the fork resting on a napkin in front of him, "I somehow managed to push her back towards the beach far enough where she was able to stand on her own. But I didn't know that there was a strong current under the surface and it got a hold of me. It pulled me under the water and … I drowned."

You let out a small gasp and clamped both of your hands over your mouth, tears starting to form in your eyes.

"But I didn't die!" he added quickly with a smile, "An Angel came and offered me the chance to be a Guardian. So here I am," he motioned to himself with his hands, "sitting in a café with you, after just spending about $400 on clothes."

"Ugh, don't remind me how much you spent!" you groaned and covered your face with your hands.

Suho let out a laugh and shook his head.

You let out a sigh and dropped your hands down on your lap.

"That's amazing though," you whispered, "How you risked your life to save your little sister."

"Thanks," he laughed embarrassedly.

You looked up when your waiter returned with your food.

"If you need anything else, don't hesitate to call one of us over," the waiter said and you both thanked him before he bowed once again before leaving.

"So," Suho said as you picked up your fork, "You better wear all of this clothes that I bought for you," he said teasingly.

You scoffed, stabbing a few pieces of pasta and shoving it in your mouth as he laughed again. 

---

Some back story on Suho for all of you. Joonmyunnie is honestly too much of an angel for his own good, in this story AND in real life too! *sigh* Well, I hope you all enjoyed this chapter and until next time!

~Admin Kelc