Thirty-Two

The Fallen

 

 

Your eyes fluttered open and you blinked a few times as your eyes adjusted to the sudden change of light. You quickly sat up and looked around to find yourself sitting on a bed in a quiet hospital room. You looked down and saw yourself dressed in a patient’s gown with an IV attached to your arm.

You bit your lip as you looked around the room. There were a few vases of flowers on the bedside table and you reached over to grab a card that was stuck in one of the bouquets.

Get well soon, Miyoung!

-Sungmi

Your eyebrows furrowed at the foreign name. You grabbed another card and found that it was signed by another name that you didn’t recognize.

“What’s going on?” you asked yourself as you scratched the back of your head in confusion.

You jumped a little when the door suddenly opened and whipped your head to the side. You were sent into further confusion when Suho walked into the room dressed in a white coat and black slacks, a clipboard in his hands.

He quietly closed the door and his eyes widened when they landed on you.

“Oh, Miyoung-sshi! You’re up!” he beamed and placed the clipboard a plastic holder on the wall near the door.

You draw dropped a little when you heard him call your name formally, as if he didn’t even know you.

“I’ll go get one of the doctors, okay?” he said as he turned to exit the room again.

“Wait!” you called out.

“Is there something wrong, Miyoung-sshi?” he turned around and walked towards your bed. He looked at you with concern and even placed a hand on the back of your shoulder blade to help you sit up straight.

“Stop calling me that, Suho” you snapped, causing him to jolt away from you.

Suho looked down at his name plate that was pinned to his coat. ‘Kim Joonmyun – Medical Student’ were the only words etched into the small, black square.

“Wait, how do you know that name?” he asked.

You were slightly taken aback by his question, “What?”

“How do you know that my friends call me Suho?” he tilted his head to the side.

“What are you talking about?” you narrowed your eyes at him, “How would I not know that your name is Suho? We’ve been living in the same house for weeks!”

“That’s impossible,” he shook his head.

“What do you mean?” you asked, tears of frustration starting to blur your vision.

You didn’t understand what was going on. Why was Suho acting like this? Like he didn’t even know who you were? Was this some kind of sick joke?

You watched him take a deep breath and nervously his lips.

“What’s going on Suho?” you whispered.

“Miyoung, it’s impossible for you to even know who I am because,” he took another deep breath, "you’ve been in a coma for the past three months."

---

"Well, your charts look good and everything seems to check out," your doctor told you as he flipped through the papers attached to the clipboard in his hand, "But we're going to have to keep you here for a little longer, just to be on the safe side."

You nodded your head silently and stared down at the blanket that was draped over your legs.

"Get some rest and remember to drink a lot of fluids whenever you get the chance," the doctor nodded before leaving the room.

You sat in silence for a few minutes after the door clicked shut and you were left alone in your thoughts.

“I guess it really was all a dream,” you mumbled as you glanced down at your right ring finger that was now bare.

You let out a soft sigh, already missing the feeling of the cool metal around your finger and the way the ocean blue stone glinted in the light.

You laid down and pulled the thin blankets up to your chin.

Even there was no evidence at all, you couldn’t help but think that everything that you went through was real, from meeting Suho on the beach to getting your blood stolen by Demons and even jumping off that cliff.

“It felt too real to be a dream,” you said to yourself as you stared blankly at the ceiling.

You rolled onto your side and curled into a ball, tucking your hands under your head as you stared out of the window at the light blue sky.

You looked over your shoulder and sat up when you heard someone opening the door once again.

Suho entered the room, wheeling in a small cart with food on it, “I brought you something to eat.”

“Thanks, but you really didn’t have to,” you said as he pushed the serving table next to your bed over your lap.

He shook his head as he helped you sit up, propping up your pillows, and placed a plate of food in front of you, “I wanted to.”

You stared down at the plate of mini pancakes with a side of bacon and eggs, a sense of nostalgia filling your body.

“It’s probably not the best food you’ll ever eat, but it’s pretty good considering it’s from the cafeteria,” Suho said as he rubbed the back of his neck as you picked up your fork and dug in.

“It’s great,” you shook your head with a small smile, “Thanks.”

You could feel your cheeks starting to heat up as Suho continued to awkwardly stand by your bed as you ate.

“Uh, not to be rude or anything, but don’t you have other places to be?” you asked suddenly, “I mean, you’re a med student right?”

“What? Oh, right!” Suho let out an embarrassed laugh, “Well, my shift already ended actually.”

“Then what are you still doing here?” you tilted your head to the side and took a bite out of a piece of bacon.

“I kinda wanted to talk to you,” he mumbled under his breath and he dipped his head towards the floor.

“What was that?” you asked even though you had already heard what he said.

“I, uhh, well you see,” you stifled a laugh as he stuttered and tried to find an excuse for being by your side, “Every med student has a patient that they are assigned to. I was assigned to you and I wanted to make sure that you’re okay.”

‘Caring just like the Guardian Suho,’ you thought as Suho continued to ramble.

“And plus, I know it can get a little lonely here for patients,” he added quickly, “So I thought it would be nice if I kept you company, but if you want me to leave…”

“It’s okay, Suho,” you laughed, “Or should I saw Dr. Kim?”

Suho let out a sigh in relief and noticeably relaxed, “Suho is fine. I’m not a doctor yet anyways.”

You set your fork down at pushed the table to the side before leaning against the pillows propped up behind your back.

“Well, future Dr. Kim,” you sighed, “Pull up a chair because I have some questions for you.”  

---

Oh ho ho! Bet y'all didn't expect that! TROLOLOL Well I hope you all enjoyed the chapter!

~Admin Kelc