Twenty-Four

The Fallen

 

You watched Kang as he stared at his feet and collected his thoughts.

“I’m sure those Guardians have told you about me,” he started as he sat on his desk, “That I went crazy, that I was a “threat” to everyone. But that’s a lie.”

He shook his head and furrowed his eyebrows, recalling his life before becoming a Demon, “I became a Guardian way before they did. I knew all the Angels before they did, I even knew you before them too.”

“Really?”

He nodded, “You were one my closest friends, along with Hyerim.”

You saw a flicker of pain flash across his face. But it disappeared as quickly as it came and his expression turning playful and teasing once again. You watched him carefully as he looked at his fingernails casually.

 “Hyerim?”

“Yeah, yeah, yeah, the Angel that I ‘brutally murdered’,” he made air quotes in the air and rolled his eyes, “we all know that part of the story.”

 "Well, if she was a close friend of yours,” you paused and your lips thoughtfully, “why did you kill her?”

“And there is the question that everyone has always been too afraid to ask,” he snapped his fingers and pointed at you.

Silence filled the room, the only sounds coming from the cackling fire in the fireplace and the clock ticking on the wall.

“I was always there for Hyerim,” he muttered and focused his eyes on something in the corner of the room, “I would have done anything for her. I put my life on the line for her every single day. But she chose him.”

Your eyes widened when your mind put all the pieces together, “Oh my gosh, you…”

“I loved her,” he said emotionless, “I was in love with her and I thought she felt the same about me. But I was obviously wrong.”

He let out a sarcastic laugh, “She said that it was love at first sight, that he was the one for her, that he understood her,” he rolled his eyes and let out a heavy breath, “understood her.”

“So you killed her … because she fell in love with someone else?” you asked slowly.

“Oh no,” he scoffed and shook his head, “I might have been upset about that, but I wouldn’t kill her for it. Though it did add to my anger that led me to kill her, but that’s not the point.”

“Then why?”

His eyes suddenly darkened, “Do you know why the Angels took away my powers and sent me to be with the Demons?”

“Because you were dangerous,” you whispered, recalling Kris's story.

“Of course they would tell you that,” he mumbled, “But yes, that’s somewhat true.”

“I read in the Archives how powerful Angel’s blood is,” he continued, "It’s the reason why they don’t get hurt or die easily. You should know, you fell from Heaven and you’re still alive.

“Anyways, I told Hyerim about my ‘Angel’s blood equals immortality’ theory but I didn’t want to hurt any of the Angels, I was a Guardian for heaven’s sake. But I guess Hyerim thought I did. She was the one that told the Archangel about my theory and that’s why the Archangel thoughtthat I was dangerous. Do you know what she did when the Angels were about to take away my powers?”

You shook your head silently.

“She hid behind him. She cowered away from me, her best friend,” he closed his eyes and took a deep breath, trying to control his anger, “She didn’t even stand up for me or try to defend me. After everything we went through together, she just stared at me with fear in her eyes and hid. At least you didn’t hide,” he looked up at you, “You didn’t say anything, but I knew you felt sorry for me.”

You bit your lip and dropped your eyes to the floor.

“And that’s why I killed her,” he wrapped up his story casually, “I didn’t plan to kill her, but when I saw her unprotected, I knew that I had to.”

“Didn’t you feel bad?” you asked quietly, “Like besides the fact that her blood didn’t grant you permanent immortality, you still loved her. And Kris loved her too.”

“It hurt a little at first,” he shrugged, “But you get over it. It was pretty unfortunate that the immortality didn’t last forever though.”

Even though his voice was nonchalant, you could tell how painful it was for him to talk about this. You even had to remind yourself that he was still a Demon. You recalled Suho saying that they were very cunning and would say anything to get you to feel sorry for them.

But a little part of you, a very little part of you, actually felt sorry for the boy sitting in front of you. His story seemed to make sense, no matter how corrupted it was. Still, you couldn’t let your guard down, not now.

“So, I’m just going to end this little story time by giving you some advice,” he said suddenly, pulling you away from your thoughts.

You narrowed your eyes when you saw a mischievous smirk on his face, “And what would that be?”

“Dump him,” he deadpanned, “The water Guardian.”

“What?” you whispered, horrified that he would actually say something like that.

“Dump him,” he repeated as he kicked his legs back and forth in the air, “You never know if he might betray you.”

 “Suho would never do that,” you shook your head.

“How do you know?” he raised an eyebrow, “I never thought Hyerim would, but she did.”

“I know that he won’t,” you said sharply as your thumb twisted the ring on your finger.

"That thing doesn’t mean anything, you know?" Kang’s eyes flickered to the silver band on your fourth finger, “It’s not going to protect you from the pain if he leaves you.”

You bit down on your tongue and looked away from him, trying not to lose your temper.

‘Suho would never do that. He loves me, he told me himself,’ you chanted in your head as your breathing started to get shallow.

But what if Kang was right? What if Suho found his true love when he was on a mission or just out shopping? How did he know that you’re the one for him, that he’s the one for you?

“I don’t know, that’s just a piece of advice that I can give to you,” Kang shrugged.

The two of you looked up when the door opened and a Demon walked into the room.

“They’re here,” he announced.

“Wow, those Guardians are quick,” he nodded with an impressed pout on his lips. His eyes flickered to you and a playful smile appeared on his face, “Now the fun begins.”

“Wait! Kang!” you yelled as the two Demons left the room.

You heard their cackling laughter as the stepped into the hallway and slammed the door shut behind them. 

---

So sorry that I didn't update yesterday! I had English homework and scholarships to work on OTL But I hope you enjoyed the chapter! 

~Admin Kelc