Thirty-One

The Fallen

 

 

You panted as you tried your best to keep up with Suho’s pace, the two of you weaving between trees and jumping over giant roots that stuck out of the earth.

You gasped and looked around when you heard screams echo in the distance. You faltered for a second, worrying if those screams belonged to any of the Guardians.

“Don’t stop!” Suho yelled when you started to slow down, “Those aren’t any of the boys!”

You stumbled a little over your own feet as Suho harshly tugged on your arm, “How do you-“

“I’m sure!” Suho cut you off and continued to pull you along.

The Demons soon chased you out of the forest, the two of you skidding to a stop when you reached the edge of a cliff. You and Suho turned around and took a few steps backwards as the Demons continued to advance.

You glanced over your shoulder when the Demons backed you to the edge of the cliff. You felt your heart sink into your stomach when you saw at the drop that was at least a hundred feet high and the roaring ocean hitting against the cliff side below.

You felt Suho’s grip on your hand tighten. You turned back around to see Kang slowly sauntering out from the shadows with another groups of Demons, his hands in his pockets. Kang stopped a few feet in front of you and the Demons stood shoulder to shoulder behind him, making it pretty much impossible for the two of you to escape.

You glared daggers at the Demon Overlord as he nonchalantly looked between you and Suho, like this whole situation was a normal occurrence for him.

You couldn’t believe that you actually trusted him and thought that he was different from the other Demons when he helped your escape the first you were captured. And you mentally knocked yourself for feeling sorry for him when he was telling you the story of his past, even if it was just for a second.

“So this is how it ends,” Kang said in an exasperated voice, tilting his head to the side and letting out a dramatic sigh.

Suho didn’t say anything and continued to look at Kang with murderous eyes.

Kang held out a hand and a Demon quickly placed a gun into his palm. You shuffled a little closer to Suho as Kang twirled the gun around.

“This is all kind of tragic, actually,” Kang glanced up at the two of you, “Two lovers, cornered at a cliff side with their hands clutching each other’s as they wait for their fates, which will inevitably be death.”

“But you know, Miyoung,” he continued, “You can always change that.”

“How?” you asked, your sudden question startling Suho.

“By joining us of course,” Kang smirked and held out his arms, gesturing to himself and the Demons standing behind him, “Think about it Miyoung. If you join us, you’ll be treated like a queen. You wouldn’t have to run for your life or worry about people chasing after you every second of the day. We would protect you.”

“Exo protects me,” you stated firmly.

“Well, obviously not well enough,” Kang raised his eyebrows and let out a chuckle.

Suho flinched, knowing that the words Kang had said were true. He was doing a horrible job at protecting you. You had gotten taken, not once, but twice by Demons. You should be going with the Demons; they would probably protect you better than he ever did, even if they just wanted your blood. But no matter how selfish it was, he still hoped that you would choose to stay by his side.

“So, what do you say?” Kang asked you.

You glanced between the confident Demon in front of you and the conflicted Guardian at your side. You took a deep breath before tightening your grip on Suho’s hand and stepping closer to his side.

“No,” you shook your head.

Kang stared at you, slightly taken aback by your answer. He was almost certain that you would have left the Guardian and joined him at his side.

What?” Kang asked as he narrowed his eyes, “I’m not sure I heard you right.”

“No,” you said again, louder this time, “I don’t want to and have no desire to be on your side. Ever. Suho and the other Exo boys do protect me. And they care about me more than you or any of the Demons ever could.”

Suho beamed down at you as his heart swelled in his chest. He couldn’t even begin to explain how happy he was that you still believed in him.

Kang let out a single laugh of disbelief before he broke into a fit of laughter. You and Suho, along with the rest of the Demons, stared at Kang who was now clutching his stomach as he continued to laugh by himself.

“Wow, that was a good one,” Kang took a few deep breaths and whipped some tears from his eyes, “But sorry, sweetheart, wrong answer.”

He quickly loaded the gun that was in his hand and pointed it at you. Neither you nor Suho had time to react before he placed his finger on the trigger.

“Wait!” a Demon yelled and knocked Kang’s arm towards the sky as he squeezed the trigger, sending a bullet flying into the air with a loud bang.

“What are you doing?!” Kang exclaimed and pointed the gun towards the Demon.

“Stopping you from doing something stupid!” the Demon argued back, “Why are you going to kill her? We need her!”

“We don’t need her,” Kang rolled his eyes, “There are so many Angels out there that we could capture.”

“But why waste our time when we have one within our grasps?” the Demon tried to convince Kang to see things its way.

All of the Demons’ attentions were drawn away from you and Suho and to the two who continued to argue.

“Miyoung,” Suho whispered and squeezed your hand.

“Yeah?” you responded, keeping your eyes forward.

“We need to jump,” he said.

“What?”

“The cliff,” Suho explained, “We need to jump off of it.”

You looked at Suho with wide eyes and abruptly pulled your hand out of his, “Are you crazy?!”

“It’s the only way,” Suho insisted.

“Suho,” you looked at him, scared out of your mind.

“I won’t let you die,” he said looking into your eyes, “I promise.”

You bit you lip as you glanced over your shoulder at the cliff again. You let out a small sigh before looking up at Suho again.

“I trust you,” you nodded your head once.

Suho’s eyes softened and he gave you a small smile.

“I love you,” he said softly.

You momentary pushed aside your fear and gave him a smile too, “I love you, too.”

You both looked up to see Kang and the Demon still screaming at each other before turning around to face the edge of the cliff. You slipped your hand into Suho’s again before nervously looking over the edge.

“You know what? This is ridiculous!” Kang shook his head and closed his eyes, “Why am I even arguing with you?!”

He quickly loaded the gun again and shot the Demon square in the forehead, killing him instantly.

“That was just a waste of time,” Kang muttered to himself, “Now, where was I?”

He froze when he saw the two of you with your backs facing him.

“What are you doing?” he demanded.

You both looked over your shoulders at Kang before looking back at each other. You gave Suho a firm nod which he returned.

“1, 2,” Suho counted slowly, “3.”

You held your breath as you both leaped off the edge of the cliff. You could hear Kang’s screams of frustration and the wind whistling in your ears as the two of you plummeted downwards. You quickly squeezed your eyes shut right before you hit the surface of the water.

And then, everything went silent. 

---

An update to make up for that super lame last chapter. Sorry guys, I usually never do filler chapters, but I needed a transition from Chapter 29 to this chapter. But I hope you guys enjoyed the chapter!

~Admin Kelc