72

Backstage Princess

She must have been having bad luck lately, because she had just received another strike of it. Its three weeks in a row that she keeps on receiving bad luck. The first time was on her room, when she slipped and ended up falling down, followed by some extra pain that keep her from walking around for almost six days. The next day was her, being splashed by water and third was today. The class got reshuffled.

This is something usual actually, the fact that the classes got reshuffled. It changes according to the previous tests results. Something they did before summer vacation starts, well it does gives them a lot of stress. But it will be paid off in the end, by being accepted to the superior class, A or A+ if you’re lucky enough. Being in A class has given you a specialty, which is being the boss of the school.

Thank God that the greasy Woohyun managed to get into A+ class, together with Jiyeon and Jieun. After much persuation, Jieun finally agreed to give it shot, being a member in A+ class. Although having her two bestfriends should have made her happy, but the fact that she was trapped with the INFINTIE has been mixing her mood lately. And that is the third strike of her bad luck.

More than that, Myungsoo has been keeping an eye on her eversince the class started. The sitting arrangement wasn’t something delightful to her either, since she is surrounded by the INFINITE. Myungsoo was sitting behind her, Woohyun in front of her, Jiyeon next to her, Hoya in front of Jiyeon and next to him was Dongwoo. The maknae decided to sit upfront. Sunggyu was sitting next to Myungsoo and being alone in the corner was Sungjong. She’s completely surrounded.

Autumn has arrived; at least it started a week ago. The leaf has yet to turn that much brown or scarlet yet, but the wind has turned colder than usual. Jiyeon caught a flue today, she decided to spare the day with a complete recovery at home. So it left her the only girl with the rest of INFINITE and an extra of Woohyun. She really is having bad luck.

In the opposite, Myungsoo was actually very happy. He was happy having Jieun as a member of his new class. It was exciting and he might be able to get close to her. Well, he will have to make his move soon. She’s the school’s princess; everybody will be seeking for a chance to steal her away from him. Therefore, he has to be aware of her surroundings too.

The door slide open, much to Jieun relieves since she could feel that Myungsoo has finally taken his eyes off her. His fingers stop twirling her hair, much to her delight. Woohyun put on a smile as he turned around to greet her. She smiled back at him, before focusing to the teacher.

By the looks of it, they have new transfer student, because Jieun’s could see a stranger’s legs standing behind the door. It’s a boy, since he was wearing trousers and white shoes. He seems to be quite friendly, judging from the way he stands. Jieun didn’t really care about new students, since she barely hang out with them. But since she needs to respect other, she will listen to the whole explanation.

“Good morning class, we’ll start today lessons with Math.” The teachers said.

It was a simple, casual, and boring greeting to Myungsoo. He listens to the same greetings over and over again, by all of the teachers each and every morning. He wonders when the world will ever change or when will the teachers received some revolution of ideas. Rather than saying good morning class and we’ll start the lessons right away, it’s better to say it in a fun and lively manner.

He wasn’t really bothered by it actually, since today lessons begins with Math. He’s a math lover, although he hasn’t reached the genius level yet. He can keep up with Math, with some quite troublesome and tricky ones, but not the hard one. Well, you could compare him with Jieun but still Jieun is better, since girls usually are less careless compared to boys.

“But before we started, let me intoduce you to our new classmates.” The teacher continued.

Since the teacher is an old lady, her voice was boring. Myungsoo has to hold the urge of falling asleep. It sounded rude but that’s the fact. He can’t lie, can he? A good boy should never lie after all. Putting aside those rude thoughts, having a new student is quite surprising. Although this is the best school in Korea, they rarely have new students, especially during the mid-semester. They usually started off in the beginning, to be able to catch up with the studies.

He must have been a genius, since it’s harder to attend this school starting by the mid-semester. Not to forget, this genius manages to entre this superior class, which barely consists of 15 people. He wasn’t curious at all, but rather feeling surprise. Since the old lady takes too much time, he began gazing at the door, as if he’s truly curious. Mmm… let him guess, parents works or moving in?

The door slide open, showing a man. Calling him a man would be too much after all, because he looks like a boy rather than a man. Looking at him from a far, he wasn’t charmismatic at all and rather ordinary. From the looks, he might have a lot of aegyo. However, his figure left him dumbfounded after Myungsoo’s eyes catch the two figures. Lee Ji Eun and Lee Ho Won.

Jieun was frozen, she sat up straight, and straightening her back in one swift movement after the new students enters the classroom. Although her face didn’t show any sign of being shocked, she was being too calm. Her body tense up so much, and her eyes was glued to the new students. She was left in confusion, without being able to put the puzzle pieces back.

Hoya too was frozen, three seconds after Jieun tenses up. He froze, with his eyes wide open, watching the new guy enters. His eyes seems to be bulging out of it’s socket, as if he has seen a ghost. If Jieun was too calm to see the new guy, Hoya seems to be too shocked to see the new guy. And that time, Myungsoo knows something is wrong, so does Woohyun.

The new guy, whose name is still unknown, introduces himself while Jieun was drifting off somewhere, to her own world of thoughts. She wasn’t even listening to his introduction, suddenly losing interests to the new guy. It’s not Jieun, if she’s this way. She always listens although she’s very bored. But today, she’s drowning inside her own thoughts.

Jieun could feel her hearts throbbing against her chest, creating an excessive pain. She was about to tear up, to explode. She was about to cry so hard, she was about to get so emotional. She was lost, not knowing what exactly has happen. She was too shocked to do anything.

That brown hair, with the colors that almost matches hers. Those puppy-like eyes that keep begging, that keeps on loving, that looks so lovely that it captivates her. That baby-faced like looks, that makes her keeps on missing him. That…. That boy like attitude, that cute attitude, that voice… that keeps her waiting all the time. Dear God, is it real? She wanted the answer so badly.

“You could take a sit next to Miss Jieun. I don’t think she would mind. Please, just feel free to asked for help, make yourself comfortable.” The boy bowed and went next to Jieun.

Jieun was too deep inside her thoughts, that she ignored the boy greetings much to the new boy disappointment. She can’t believe what she is seeing right now. His scent was overwhelming, his presence was getting her emotional, and his pure looks were driving her crazy. Her eyes were teary already and when Howon turn around, Jieun could see how surprise he is, exactly just like her.

He’s here. He’s here. Why is he here?

The class begins as usual, math. Jieun wasn’t a fan of math; it’s one of the subjects that she hates the most. The calculations are simply troublesome and boring. It tired her in a blink of an eye. She got tired very quickly when it comes to math, her brain usually gone worn out after solving some of the problems given. But today, her sould was the only thing feeling tired and pain.

The new boy, who keeps on talking to her, was blabbering around for the whole lessons. He keeps on asking stupid things, who her name is, who the teacher name is, why is this so boring…. He tried to keep up with the conversations, trying to make her talked. He keeps on and on, unknown to him that she stiffens each time he tried to make a conversation with her. She froozes like a dead stone.

“Miss Lee and you young boy, stop talking!” The teacher exclaimed, annoyed at how the two keeps on blabbering around although Jieun has done nothing but to remain silent.

It wasn’t because Jieun was arrogant and cocky, that she refuses to pay any attention to the board or to the boy, but it was because her lips that keeps on trembling so hard. She was scared that if she ever spills any words out, she would end up cracking up. She was scared that if she even spills any word out, she would remember those painful days. She was terrified.

“Miss Lee, you two seems pretty close to each other. As a punishment, you have to show him around the school this afternoon.” The teacher said firmly, without any mercy or the slightest concern for the girl.

“But Mrs. Kang! Jieun has done nothing wrong!” Hoya tried to defend her, much to everyone surprises.

“Silent, Mr. Lee!” The strict old lady answered, leaving him speechless and ended up giving in.

“Mrs. Kang, I can take care of myself. Please accept this lady apology.” The new boy said.

It startled Jieun, eventually. He didn’t say her name, not even greeting her like old friends. Rather than calling her name, Lee Ji Eun or IU, he called her this lady. How could he do something like this? She’s tearing up, with tears ready to fall.

“Silence!” The strict lady shouted, leaving the class in a tension of silence.

Jieun was very stiff, fidgeting with her fingers under her table while bitting her lips hard. She didn’t react to anything, even when Myungsoo called her. When the lessons changes, Myungsoo hugs her again, only to receive no reaction at all. She seems to be in a daze and when he decided to get a better look of her, her eyes was swollen and red.

Hoya was moving around, unable to sit comfortably. He wasn’t very fond of the new boy, although from times to times he would steal a quick glance to the boy before taking a quick look at Jieun. Something is wrong because Jieun… she’s crying.

Woohyun who was in confusion was holding on to Jieun’s hand tightly. She was crying, although she keeps it inside. Sometimes she needs to look up, preventing the tears from rolling down. But it is clear that she’s crying because her eyes are teary and red. As much as Myungsoo hated the fact of the two holding hands, he has no choice but to let it go.


When the bell rings, marking the lunch time, Jieun was still stiff. She didn’t even move from her chair, although her legs are urging her to run away. Her legs tremble so much that she could fall if she ever tries to stand. Although her eyes have turn back to normal thanks to Woohyun comforting, she has yet to recover from the shock. The opposite of what Jieun is doing, Hoya exited the class quickly, leaving Jieun behind after taking a quick glance at her.

“Jieun-ah, it’s lunch break. Let’s have lunch.” Myungsoo tried to help her but only to be rejected in the end.

“I will catch up with you later. I’m not really hungry.” Different than yesterday, she used up all the formalities.

“You will be okay?” He asked, seeing how her smile was fading away.

“I will be fine.”

“See you later. Tell me if anything happen.” He said before leaving, after much hesitation. But Hoya, who’s watching from a far keeps on forcing him to leave the two alone.

“I will be leaving too. You’re going to be fine?” Woohyun asked.

“I will be fine. Eat up and stay healthy. It’s starting to get cold nowadays.” She put on a fake smile.

It left the two alone, the new boy and Jieun. Jieun was very tense, as if she would shock anyone who touches her. The new boy was humble, trying to get Jieun’s attention by being friendly. However, it is not helping at all. Jieun just freeze, not knowing what to do. She badly wants to leave, to get this boy out of her mind, but her heart is telling her the opposite of it.

“So… what’s your name?” The humble boy asked.

Jieun just stares at him blankly, as if she has turned dumb. She doesn’t seem to understand his words, because she keeps on ignoring it. No matter how many times he asked, she remains silent. He even reintroduces himself to make her feel comfortable but that was no use. The more he talks, the more she stiffens.

“Ah… I guess you’re mad at me. You don’t have to show me around, I can take care of myself.” The boy finally gave up and leaves her alone.

The lady was in an awe, because minutes after the boy left, she was still sitting with her back straight. Her body was stiff and keeps on trembling. The INFINITE was outside, no wonders she feels like someone was watching her. Woohyun even joins them, to stalk Jieun. They decided to watch over her, to make sure she’s alright. Everyone was paying attention, except Hoya. He keeps on walking back and forth, thinking deeply about some matters.

She needs to encourage herself. Although it was hard, she manages to stand up and exit the class. The INFINITE stares blankly at her while Myungsoo can’t stop bombarding her with question. It was scary, having so many things to handle when she- herself- was confused. She can’t speak at all, she doesn’t know how to explain or how to arrage those words. It’s too complicated.

Leaving all the questions unanswered. She ran, despite the fact that Myungsoo was very worried regarding her problem. He didn’t want to barge in, since she has refused to share anything regarding it. Woohyun put his hand inside his pocket, leaning against the wall before sighing in frustration. Hoya was surprised by her actions and soon ran after her.

Jieun needs some fresh air, she knows herself the best. When times get complicated like this, when her heart is being torn apart, all she needed is some fresh air. The rooftop, as much as she hates turn to hate it, has always been the best place. She could get the more than enough fresh air there, although the backyard sounds good to. However, the backyard was not isolated enough.

She stands strong, with eyes that once again tears up. Her hand travels up to her chest, squeezing it tight. It was painful, very painful. If this is a dream, then she would be left confused. She’s unable to differ true and false. She’s unable to differ good and bad. She’s very confused.

“Are you okay?” Hoya asked, approaching her gently.

“Are you?” She turns around, smiling faintly before walking toward him.

“I don’t think I am. You know who he is, don’t you?” He replied.

“I know. But it doesn’t feel right, it doesn’t feels like reality.”

“It’s a nightmare.” He chuckled.

“Yeah, it’s true. It’s a nightmare. I supposed, I am supposed to be okay, to be smiling, but it seems that I have failed to do so.”

“I know.”

“He left us, Howon. He left us. He left us and he never comeback. He breaks his promises, he left us waiting. He left us when we need him the most. And why… is he coming back now?”

Her tears was pouring, much than what he could expect. He almost freaks out the moments her tears started to pour. But soon, he realizes he should have been able to notice this sooner. He know how important the new boy to her. He knows she would cry, he know she would get emotional. However, it seems weird seeing how Jieun has get very emotional despite the fact that she is very good at hiding feelings.

“I was shocked when I saw her walking in. It will be okay, Jieun. I promise… everything will be back to normal soon.” He hugs her.

Myungsoo was watching the two, although he was envious of Hoya who is hugging the crying Jieun, he could understand their acts. It was nice being a shoulder to lean on for Jieun. He would like to try it out sometimes. Woohyun was following him around, he looked ignorant but he was actually paying attention to their conversation.


“Your eyes are red, Jieunnie~. What happen?” Woohyun asked with his eyes closed.

Jieun rushes to the backyard after spending some relaxing time with Hoya at the rooftop. She knows Woohyun will be following her to the rooftop; it was something called as pure instincts. She has known Woohyun well enough, to be able to guess what is on his mind. He has questions to asked, that is why she came to the backyard.

His eyes were closed, as he tried to feel the nice breezes. Jieun took a seat next to him, while leaning against his shoulder. He will ask the questions soon and she won’t be able to run away. She doesn’t think running away from those questions will be good. Because soon they may found out.

“I know… I was just… I think you know.”

“Who’s that guy, Jieun-ah?”

“He’s… the reason why I rejected you.”

Woohyun was unable to hide his shocked, and almost jumps, causing Jieun’s head to bump with his. Soon he calm down and let her head rest on his shoulder. Despite the sudden shock, he could still act calm and cool. She needed him to do so, or else she might tear up again.

“Woohyun-ah, he’s the guy I’m waiting for.”