Breaking the awkwardness

sunbae or soulmate

 

Training sessions for Sulli are already scheduled for her to build up her foundation. The management’s decision is to introduce a new girl group of 5 people in due course, but of course, whether she is being selected to debut in this girl group really depends on her hard work.

She appeared in the dance studio this afternoon for her first scheduled dance practice. Upon entering the dance studio, there are a few other trainees stretching their limbs. At one corner sat a group of boys who are obviously sweating from a dance practice that just ended.

Sulli recognises Minho and give a bow. Before Minho can react, it is friendly Key who stood up and shouted: “Sulli An yeong.” Sulli was shocked that someone knew her name and went up to greet this Oppa and bow. At this point, the rest of the Shinee boys also gathered around Key to introduce themselves as well.

Jong Hyun: “we saw you introduce youself at the newbie meet up. Hwaiting!! Omo, the bum on your head is still red huh… so  I think you already knew him right, the bad boy?” pointing to Minho. Minho could not ask his hyung to stop talking, so he can only cover his awkwardness with an aygeo: “why bring this up again hyung?”

Sulli smiles and carries on their interactions with the rest of the Shinee Oppas.

Sulli’s POV

Onew Oppa, Jong Hyun Oppa and Key Oppa are really friendly. Taemin Oppa seems shy but he is like a nice friend. Minho Oppa….

Sulli does not know how to describe. She thought she had spoken to Minho before and Minho will be friendly, but surprisingly, she is the most awkward with him, especially after Jong Hyun Oppa’s statement, Minho Oppa seems to avoid having direct contact with Sulli.

 Minho’s POV

Asihhh…. This is so awkward… why do I always feel guilty whenever I see her…. I am always lost for words and can only lurk at the back while the rest of the members are having a good laugh with her. Minho likes the way Sulli chuckled and how she is easily amused which makes the atmosphere around happy. Being a person who is rather shy with girls, Minho decides he shall be satisfied being close with just his Shinee members and Suju Hyungs, and doesn’t mind not getting close to Sulli at all.

Few months passed

Sulli became close to Shinee very quickly and through Shinee, she was introduced to other sun baes such as Suju oppas and SNSD eunnies. Nonetheless, she always gets to see Shinee in the office since everyone has not debuted yet. After her 6 months joining the company, she remained close to Key and got closer to Taemin due to their minimal . She was able to speak casually with Onew Oppa and Jong Hyun Oppa teases her frequently too. Nonetheless, the awkwardness between her and Minho remains.

“Key Oppa, I need you to teach me rapping,” Sulli shouted in her sweetest voice and pushed open the practice room door, only to hear a low deep voice saying “Key is not here. He has lessons. Same for the rest”

Short and cold sentences hit Sulli and she saw Minho sitting by himself playing with his phone and swallowed her saliva.

Sulli’s POV

…  I must have disturbed him….why Key Oppa is not here… and why only ice cube sun bae is around.

Sulli sulked stood there motionlessly for seconds before she realized she still has to greet the sun bae.

Sulli: “Minho Oppa An Yeong Ha Sae Yo” and bow. “Since key oppa is not around, then I will come another time.” Sulli turned to the door.

Minho spoke without looking up: “whei? If you really need to learn rapping, I can give you some tips too.”

Minho’s POV

As a sunbae, I should impart my knowledge. Since she is part of the KJE’s family, I should do my part too.

Sulli’s eyes brightened up as she urgently needed some assistance to pass her interest test.

 Jinjiat? Sulli turned her head back and look at Minho, forgetting about the usual awkwardness that exists between them. She went up to Minho. “Oppa, jinjiat? I seriously have many areas which I cannot understand and I need to be tested tomorrow,” and she started rattering on and on.

Minho is amused with her initial formal greeting and now her casual rattering. He interrupted her: “Ya, I am your sun bae so I will teach you. Let’s tackle your doubts one by one.”

They spent the afternoon sharing tips on rapping. Minho was patient to teach Sulli what to look out for to rap well. They practiced some verses together with some dance steps as well. It was a rather formal session of teacher teaching student, although there were some moments of laughter here and there: Minho is amused with Sulli’s blurness and cuteness and how she chuckled when she is shy. Sulli also realised Minho is not that cold as ice actually although much of their conversation is still pretty formal.

 At this time, the rest of the Shinee boys came back to the practice room.

Jong Hyung: “Wah, look who we have with us here….. princess Sulli…” Sulli giggled but she is rather used to Jong Hyun calling her princess.

Onew: “Minho ah, so you have learnt the dance steps for our internal competition with Suju hyungs tomorrow? We can practise now”

(In KJE, they often organized internal competitions for trainees to learn from the sunbaes and vice versa. Tomorrow, Shinee will have their internal competition with SUJU hyungs, and if they perform well, they will get to debut in a month’s time)

Sulli saw Minho Oppa looking at his phone and stammered: “Hyung, I am sorry, I have not finished, can you give me 30 mins more?

Sulli then realised Minho Oppa was not playing with his phone earlier. He was trying to learn a dance.

Sulli: “Minho Oppa, I am sorry, I did not know you were busy. Onew Oppa, I am sorry, I asked Minho to teach me rapping. I…”

Minho interrupted her: “Ken cha na, Hyung, 30 mins is good enough for me to learn the dance. We have finished our rapping lesson anyway.”

Key: “Since when our Minho is so helpful to teach others?”

 Ignoring Minho’s glares, Key continue: “Sulli, I will teach you next time.”

Sulli can only give an awkward smile.