New beginning

sunbae or soulmate

 

On the way to CF briefing, in the van...

Minho: “Sull, I have something to tell you… sulli?” No reaction….

Minho looked over to his right at the separate single seater and saw Sulli in a half lying down position. She was leaning on her right, with her back and face facing the van’s black tinted windows.

“Aish… she is sleeping.... there goes my chance to explain again.” Minho thought.  

Sulli’s POV

Sulli heard Minho calling her, but she ignored and pretended that she has fallen asleep to avoid facing him.

Although Sulli has her back and face against Minho, she can somehow see some of his reflection on the black tinted glass in front of her. Sulli looked at her favourite Oppa’s reflection. She carefully used her finger to trace the reflection of Minho’s head, eyes, nose, ears and mouth… and tears began to flow down her face uncontrollably again.

So what if Minho was talking about her during the talk show, the hurt she has felt is not something she can just forget with an explanation.

 

The van made a sharp steer to the left suddenly and made a hard emergency brake. Sulli did not manage to buckle herself earlier as she was too occupied to escape Minho’s eye contact. The sharp steer to the left caused her head to bump against the glass window and she was literally threw off her seat when the emergency brake was made.

Minho has wanted to grab Sulli but the turn and brake were too sudden.

“Omo… Sulli!…ken cha na?” Minho pulled Sulli up and checked for any possible injuries. He saw tears strands on her face and thought she must have hurt herself somewhere.

Minho’s hand touched her head softly to check for bums. His hands then moved to her shoulders, arms and hands, checking for scratches.

The knock still kept Sulli in a daze. She didn’t move at all, but just looked at Minho’s face of worries and how he kept asking her if she was ok. This scene seems familiar yet not so familiar.

“Are you both ok?” the van door swing open and there stood manager Oppa. “The vehicle has some problems due to the emergency brake and now it doesn’t seem to start, we are waiting for another vehicle to come pick us up. if you will like to stay in the vehicle, go ahead, but there is not much ventilation.”

Minho: “Hyung, I am ok.” “Sulli, you?”

Sulli: “Manager Oppa, I am ok.” Although she thought her head seems heavy. She puts her hands under her fringe trying to rub her head to soothe the headache.

Minho: “Ya Sulli.., you have a bum here.” Sulli felt Minho’s warm palms landed on her forehead as he checked the severity of the injury.

Memories of her first encounter with Minho flashed in Sulli’s mind. He was also there when the dance studio door slammed on her…. Sulli pushed Minho’s hand away. “It is ok. I am fine.”

She really doesn’t wish to stay in the vehicle with him…

“Manager Oppa, I will go take a walk. Will come back in 10 minutes.” Sulli got out of the van and started walking quickly.

“Sulli, I am coming with you!” she heard Minho calling her but she ignored.

 Sulli quickened her steps and ran. She just wanted to get away from him. The bum on her forehead is making her head and eyes heavy. She heard her name again but she just kept on running.

 The sound of her name was overpowered with a loud persistent honk. She stood where she was, only to realise she was in the middle of the road. She saw a truck but she couldn’t move. She couldn’t move at all.

“Sulli!!!!!!!!” Minho saw the truck coming towards Sulli and came running at his fastest speed. He grabbed her arm, pulled her towards him and wrapped her tightly in his arms, like his precious gift.

Sulli tried struggling out of his embrace: “Let me go! Don’t touch me”, and started crying.

Minho: “SHIRO. Let you go and let you hurt yourself again? I won’t! I want to talk to you.” He tightened his arms at her waist and pulled her closer to him, his head resting beside hers, giving her no chance to move an inch away from him.

Tears flowed from her eyes…uncontrollably… she lowered her head and started to weep like a baby, releasing her emotions that she tried to suppress over the past.

 Minho waited for Sulli to calm down. “Sulli, are you ok?” Minho whispered into her ears. While patting her back. He can still feel her shivering.

“Sulli.. I am sorry. You heard what I said to Onew Hyung. I was referring to you. I didn’t mean to ignore you. I still kept the message in my phone. I like you but I have no choice when manager hyung gave me his warning…”

Sulli’s POV

Warning? She got out of his embrace and looked at him in puzzle.

 

Honk!!! Both Minho and Sulli were interrupted with a car honk.

Manager Oppa: “Minho, Sulli, what are you both standing here, quick get into the van, we are already late for our CF meeting!”

Sulli did not say anything when she got into the van. Her mind was still in confusion. What warning? She wanted to ask, but manager Oppa is around and she decided not to.

Minho kept glancing over at Sulli, checking if she is ok. He saw her straight face and wondered if she has forgiven him after what he said.

 

Both were led into a big meeting room at the sponsor’s office. They were told that they need to shoot a CF, but details not known, which is why they are here today to be briefed.

Sponsor: “we are happy that both Shinee and FX can be in this CF.  Since our product is beauty product, our concept is for the CF to portray how students can have prettier face and become more confident after using our products. Minho played the role of a handsome tertiary student who are well liked by many girls. Sulli then played the role of a female tertiary student who wishes to gain Minho’s attention, but lack the confident. After using the product, Sulli became prettier and more confident and the CF will end with Minho planting a peck on Sulli’s cheek. Clear?”

“I am sure you both will do a good job since you are from the same company. It was quite tough for us when we engaged artistes from different companies to be in the same CF. Companies are scared of rumours and gossips especially when their artistes need to act as a couple with someone else. We understand that idols cannot be in a relationship in case fans are affected, but since you are from KJE, you know the rules right and I don’t see there should be any of such concerns.” Sponsor continued.

Sulli’s POV

So this Is the rule of the whole game. No relationship when you are in this industry…. Now I know what Minho Oppa meant…  so even real feelings can only be hidden deep in the hearts if you wish to continue in the industry…. she knew what she had to do......

 

On the way back to hostel, in the van, Sulli was the first to speak.

She reached out her hand to Minho and initiate a hand shake: “Sunbae, let’s work hard together from now on.”

Minho gave a confused face: “Sulli… You heard my explanation earlier, didn't you?”

Sulli: “I know, and I understand. Let’s forget everything and start from a fresh page. An Yeong Ha Sae Yo. I am your hoobae – choi Sulli from FX. Nice to meet you. Please take good care of me.”, and give a smile.

There were no words like "I have forgiven you" but Minho can read that Sulli has understood the rule of the industry and she wanted to put everything aside.

Minho put his hand in hers and shook her hands: “Alarso, I am your sunbae - Choi Minho from Shinee. Nice to meet you. I will take care of you.”

 

New introductions mark a new beginning for them. Though it is painful to bury their real feelings deep in their hearts, they both knew this is the best way to handle… at least for now.