Cold

It's A Love/Hate Relationship

“Baekhyun-oppa!” I cried as soon as I ran through the doors of the SM building and spotted him. The usually happy singer gave me a weak smile that could barely be classified as a grin. He looked pale and had a sweater on despite the fact that it was the middle of July.

“Hey Yoonae.” He greeted solemnly. When I got to him, I reached out to hug him only to be pulled away by a smiling giant.

“Nuh-uh Yoonae, you are not going near him. We don’t want you catching his fever.” Chanyeol said. I pouted, wanting to console my sick oppa.

“Why does he have to perform today? He’s obviously not feeling well.” I asked despite knowing the answer already.

“I don’t want to disappoint my fans.” Baekhyun replied, looking utterly depressed by just the idea of it.

“But-”

“We have to go now!” Their manager announced after returning with some papers in his hands. “There are fans outside guys, stick together while you’re walking by.”

On the way to the Yeosu Expo, the guys chatted excitedly amongst themselves while I attended to Baekhyun’s cold. Eventually he crashed and slept on my shoulder, remaining there for the rest of the ride.

When we arrived, I quickly pulled Baekhyun aside so that I could do his make-up first and get him changed faster so that he could take a brief nap before the performance. Afterwards, I started working on Sehun before moving on to Jongin.

I had only started doing Jongin’s make-up when suddenly, there was a large amount of ruckus on the other side of the room.

“Hyung!” Sehun exclaimed.

“Baekhyun!”

“Baekhyun-hyung!”

I immediately stopped my work and turned to the corner where the commotion was taking place. Despite the fact that I had work to accomplish, I was determined to get to Baekhyun first.

A hand took mine as I was about to leave.

“Where are you going?” Jongin asked with a frown. “He’ll be fine.”

I shook my head. “I have to get to him Jongin, I’ll be back.” He dropped my hand and instantly. I took off, pushing past the crowd to get to Baekhyun with a water bottle in my hand.

When I got there, I found Baekhyun hunched over with a pile of vomit on the ground in front of him.

“Guys, give him some room.” Their manager ordered. Everybody stepped back as I helped Baekhyun up. He leaned onto me as I walked him back to the couch. Why he was even up, I didn’t understand.

“I-I didn’t ruin the outfit did I?” He asked weakly. I looked him over briefly before assuring him that he didn’t.

“I can’t believe you are more concerned about that. Oppa, you need to watch your health.” I opened the water bottle and handed to him, watching him take several gulps out of it. A hand reached forward, handing me a cold, damp towel. I took it and placed it on his forehead.

“Stay.” I commanded. “You aren’t to get up until the performance, understand?”

He closed his eyes and nodded obediently. I grinned slightly before getting up. Stupid manager, this was their job but yet I cared more than he did.

“I see you’re back.” Jongin grumbled as he tapped as his phone. He didn’t look pleased.

“Baekhyun threw up. He’s really sick, I had to help him.” I explained.

“No you didn’t.”

“Yes I did.” I argued.

“No you didn’t.” Jongin repeated. He looked up and scowled. “There are so many other people in the room, let them deal with it.”

I shook my head in disbelief. “Jongin, he’s your bandmate, your hyung, how could you say that?”

He shrugged nonchalantly and stared at his phone again. I sighed and went back to doing his make-up.

“You know, if you’re jealous, you should just say so.” I mumbled.

“I’m not jealous.” He replied almost too quickly. “Why should I be jealous?”

“Are you kidding Jongin? You always complain whenever I don’t pay attention to you.” I said.

He scoffed. “As if. In what world would I want attention from a shorty like you?”

“Oh please Jongin, you know you love me.” I joked. His eyes widened for a brief moment, freezing at my words, causing me to freeze as well in realization.

Crap... I just said that.

“W-why are you staring at me?” I stuttered, pretending to be oblivious to the reason behind his reaction.

“N-nothing. I was just...checking to see if you were out of your mind or something.” He looked away, eyes refusing to meet mine. “As if I would ever like an emotional ditzy clutz like you?”

“Mhmm.” I mumbled, pretending to be preoccupied with my work. Unfortunately, I had done it so many times that I barely needed to think at all while I completed his look. My mind drifted off as continued working.

Jongin still didn’t know about his drunken confession. I originally wasn’t going to bring it up in hopes that since Luhan would be there, he wouldn’t bring it up either and nothing would change between us.

I have to face reality sooner or later. Luhan is no longer mine. I am no longer his. I am in no rush to move on to someone else but I can’t help but ask myself: What about Jongin?

Are you kidding me Park Yoonae? Why would you like someone like him? You guys are just friends and that’s it. Stop over thinking it. He’s such a jerk, I bet you he’s a player too. Don’t even think about it.

My conscience was screaming at me that it was impossible but...

“YAH! You clutzy pighead! Stop staring at me!”

I snapped out of my thoughts after realizing I had been standing there, brush in the air just staring at him. Wait a second....

“YAH! Who are you calling a pighead?!” I hit him on the arm, earning a painful yelp from him.

“You are a pighead though! Who else just spaces out in the middle of their work and doesn’t respond to their own name?”

I hit him on the same spot again. “Shut up Jongin...I was just...thinking.”

“Well think later because while you were in your own world, one of the staff members came in asking for us in 2 minutes.”

“Jerk.” I mumbled as I finished touching up the rest of his make-up. Without a word, he got up and left after I was done.

I settled myself onto the couch backstage as I watched the members perform and go through the interviews on the TV in the corner of the room. The poor guys looked like they were exhausted. Baekhyun in particular was paler than he usually was, looking unfocused from time to time.

I frowned. The things that idols did for their fans. I wondered if anyone in the audience realized how pale he was, how much extra air he had to take in to support his notes, and how excessively he was sweating.

I waited anxiously by the door of the waiting room after the boys had gone off stage. I gasped as soon as I saw the door open. Chanyeol and their manager came in, supporting a very sick Baekhyun between them.

They placed him on the couch and left him to do their own things.

“Oppa, are you alright?” I asked in concern. Suho stood next to me, watching as Baekhyun rubbed his temples.

“I-I wanna throw up.” He groaned. I shot up, running to the nearest garbage bin and retrieving it for him. I got back just in time for him to bend over and hurl into the bucket. It didn’t take him long to finish, after all, he had already thrown up before the performance, there was probably nothing left in him.

“I’m cold.” He mumbled, teeth chattering despite the fact that he just walked off a warm stage and finished performing.

I went over and grabbed the sweater he came in, helping him put it on before he slipped on his leather jacket from the performance over that.

“Guys, we’re heading out now.” The manager said as he approached us. “Baekhyun, are you okay?”

The singer nodded despite the fact that it was an obvious lie.

“I got you.” Suho said softly to him as he helped Baekhyun up. I watched in relief as Baekhyun leaned against the shorter leader and slowly made his way out of the waiting room. I quickly gathered my stuff and followed after them.

“Where’s Jongin?” I asked myself, trying to find the taller figure in the crowd of staff members but I couldn’t find him. Maybe he went on ahead which was weird because...well...we were always together.

In fact, it was weirder that he didn’t come find me after the performance. Was he avoiding me?

My suspicions were confirmed when I got into the van and slid in next to him. He looked over, nodded, and returned to staring out the window as if the parking lot was the most interesting thing in the world.

The car started soon after and when we hit the road, he took out his ipod and plugged his headphones in, not even sparing a glance at me. Was he mad at me or something? Maybe he was jealous because of Baekhyun again.

When all of the other members and the manager had fallen asleep, I nudged him on the side. He turned and gave me a questioning look. I signalled for him to remove his headphones which he complied to almost reluctantly.

“Jongin, why are you avoiding me?” I asked him bluntly.

“I’m not.” He replied, blinking several times along with his lie.

“Yes you are.” I insisted. “You didn’t come find me after the performance. You totally ignored me when I got in the car. What’s up?”

He shrugged.

I sighed. “Are you jealous because of Baekhyun again?”

He rolled his eyes and let out a deep breath. “For the last time Yoonae, I seriously am not jealous of Baekhyun-hyung.”

“Then?” I prodded, trying to get an answer out of him.

He sighed again before he wrapped an arm around my shoulders, pulling me close to him. I leaned my head on his shoulder in response.

“I just had a lot on my mind Yoonae. I’m not mad at you or anything alright?” I nodded. He leaned over and kissed me on the head. “I’m sorry I was ignoring you for a bit. I promise I won’t do it again.”

“Alright.” I replied before closing my eyes and relaxing against him.

“Jongin...” I mumbled, my eyes still closed.

“Yeah?”

“You’d tell me if something’s wrong right?”

He didn’t reply, instead, he just leaned his head on top of mine.

“Go to sleep Yoonae.”

Not wanting to push it anymore, I gave in to his words, letting go of reality for a while.

 

---

A/N: Happy New Year everyone! Hope you all have an amazing 2013!

Not much to say today. Just another cute Kaiyoon moment <3 We're all going to take a break from Luhan for a while alright? Yay! Have an amazing holiday...or what's left of it.

-Ryeowook, Sungmin, Chen, Kai, Taemin, Luhan, Youngmin, Kwangmin, Sehun and Baekhyun's Wifey! <3