Drunken Confessions

It's A Love/Hate Relationship

I was sitting in my music history lecture, bored out of my mind, just waiting for the weekend to come when suddenly my phone vibrated in my pocket. Silently I pulled it out  and checked the screen to see who it was from.

From: Baekhyun
Party tonight. EXO dorm. 8pm. Dinner and drinks provided. Celebrating the end of promotions. Bring Ji Eun. Be there. Or else.

"Or else what?" I was so tempted to type that in, but I knew better. Knowing them, there actually might just be some kind of outrageous consequence if I asked. Instead I just replied with an "Alright. See you there."

After school, Ji Eun and I met up to go to my apartment first to get settled. We did some homework and gossiped for a while before we left. When we arrived with the dorm, we were greeted by the constantly hyped Chanyeol. We quickly went in and made ourselves at home just in time for Kyungsoo-oppa to finish preparing dinner.

"Where's Suho-oppa?" I asked. Neither Ji Eun nor I have seen the oldest member since we arrived.

"I'm back!" A loud voice declared as the door slammed open. In came Suho, lugging two big bags with him.

"Kyungsoo, did you clear the fridge?" Suho asked, heading straight for the kitchen.

"Yeah, I cleared enough space earlier."

“Thanks.” Suho said before disappearing into the kitchen. Ji Eun and I eyed each other from across the table, neither of us understanding what exactly was in the bags.

While everyone was busy eating and was into their own conversations, Baekhyun leaned over to me and quietly spoke. “So how are you and Jongin doing?”

I looked up to the subject of discussion sitting a few seats away from us and jumped when I met his piercing gaze. Was he watching us the whole time? I broke our eye contact and turned back to Baekhyun.

“I haven’t spoken to him for a few weeks now.”

“You miss him don’t you?”

“Yeah...I mean he’s always there, I always see him...but it’s not the same.” I said in a low voice, scared that Jongin could hear me from where he was.

“He’s looking at you right now.” Baekhyun told me. Sure enough, when I peeked up, he was still staring at me. I gave him a questioning look and he looked away. Both Baekhyun and I turned back to our food afterwards, leaving an awkward silence between the three of us.

After dinner, I was helping Baekhyun with the dishes as the rest of the members settled down by the couch and chose a movie to watch. By the time we had finished and went to join the others in the living, the movie had already started.

The couch was already preoccupied by Sehun, Chanyeol, Kyungsoo and Ji Eun when we got out. Suho and Jongin sat on the floor at either end. I was about to walk by and sit between Suho and Baekhyun when Jongin grabbed my hand and pulled me into the spot beside him.

“Jongin, I’m not in the mood for-”

“I won’t do anything. I promise.” He whispered softly. I looked over at Baekhyun whose eyes met mine. He gave me a concerned look but I didn’t say anything.

I don’t know what compelled me to stay, but I gave in and sat still, watching the movie on TV. I stiffened when half way through the movie, Jongin dropped his head on my shoulder.

I heard him sigh lightly beside my ear. “This is comfortable.” He told me.

I relaxed a bit after that and tried to pay attention to what was on the screen.

Somewhere along the way, both Jongin and I had fallen asleep in the dark. I groaned when the sudden flicker of blinding lights filled the room. Jongin had the same reaction from beside me and I could tell he had the same thought as me at that very moment.

“I don’t wanna get up.” We groaned in unison causing the group around us to burst out laughing.

“Awww you two are so cute.” Chanyeol cooed, I heard a smacking sound somewhere beside him.

“. You two are already out of it but we haven’t even started drinking yet.” Suho said. My curiosity got the better of me as opened my eyes to see what he was talking about. There he stood, smiling down at the two of us with a bottle of vodka in his hand and what I assumed to be a bag of beer cans in the other.

“Yay hyung! You’re the best!” Chanyeol cried, flinging himself over the short leader.

“Are you sure that’s a good idea?” I asked Suho, eyeing the already hyper giraffe that was clinging onto him. I was already scared just imagining how he would act if he was tipsy or - god forbid- drunk.

“Don’t be a party pooper.” Chanyeol complained, taking a cup out of a stack of shot glasses and grabbing the bottle from Suho. He sat down on the carpet and everyone else joined as he was pouring himself a cup.

“Cheers!” He said to no one in particular before Ji Eun grabbed his hand and stopped him.

“Can’t you wait until everyone gets a cup first?” Chanyeol pouted and lowered his hand, waiting patiently as Sehun poured vodka in the remain shot glasses.

Once it was done, everybody grabbed a glass.

“FOR A SUCCESSFUL DEBUT AND PROMOTIONS!” Baekhyun shouted.

“Cheers!” Glasses clinked and we all downed it in one go. I cringed slightly as the alcohol ran down my throat. I was never a fan of alcohol whether it was offered or not.

“More more!” Chanyeol cried. Well, someone was going to get wasted tonight.

“Hey guys, let’s play ‘Never have I ever.’” Sehun suggested. A few of them gave a disapproving grunt.

“What?” Kyungsoo asked.

“You never played it before?” Ji Eun asked. “Well basically someone starts off by saying something they’ve never done before. Everybody that has done it takes a shot. For instance someone could say ‘Never have I ever had my first kiss before.’ and everyone that has, will take a shot.”

Jongin grinned beside me. “I like it. I’m in.”

I rolled my eyes. “You’re just trying to show off, I bet you’d be the first one wasted.”

He raised an eyebrow. “Is that a challenge?”

I scoffed. “Please Jongin, you’ll probably end up drunk and puking all over the place.”

“So...is everybody in?” Sehun asked.

“EVERYONE IN!” Jongin and I declared at the same while glaring at each other.

Suho and Kyungsoo sighed at our childish behaviour while Chanyeol and Sehun were busy laughing at us. Baekhyun seemed to be more at ease after Jongin and I started talking again whereas Ji Eun was giving me a worried glance.

“I’ll start!” Sehun shouted. “Never have I ever received a before. For the girls, I’ve never given a before.”

Wow....that was...direct. I watched as everyone in the circle stayed as they were where as Jongin reached down and picked up his shot glass, downing it one go.

I eyed him disbelievingly. He shrugged. “What?”

“N-nothing. It’s just...surprising.”

“It shouldn’t be. Girls would do anything for me.” He replied arrogantly. I simply shook my head and ignored his comment.

“Never have I ever fallen in love with my bestfriend’s girl/boyfriend before.” Baekhyun said. I looked up at him but he seemed to be looking pointedly at Jongin as he spoke. What was happening?

Suho and Jongin downed a shot.

Chanyeol gasped. “Jongin! Who was it?!”

Jongin waved a hand at Chanyeol without care, his face already slightly red from the alcohol.  “It was some time back in middle school. Don’t worry about it Channie.”

Oh dear, he said Channie. How long will he last?

“I’ve never kissed someone who was already in a relationship before.”

The statement was as innocent as it could get, coming from Kyungsoo. Afterall, he didn’t know what happened between Jongin and I.

I looked over at Jongin who looked at me before taking another shot. He gave me a sly grin which I ignored.

“I’ve never thought about someone in this circle as more than friends before.” Suho said.

“Ewwww I’m not gay.” Sehun protested. “And Ji Eun and Yoonae are already taken.”

Obviously Chanyeol proudly took a shot. Jongin took another shot.

That’s when I got confused. Jongin definitely was not gay....at least not that I knew of. So that only left Ji Eun and I. What’s going on here?

Before I was even able to read more into the situation, Jongin spoke. “I have never cheated on someone I was in a relationship with.”

His eyes, watery from the alcohol consumption, met mine as he sent me an accusing look. I never cheated on Luhan before. I would never. Did that count as cheating? I...I would never do that to him.

“What? Aren’t you going to take a shot Yoonae?” He chuckled.

“I didn’t do anything.” I fought back. All eyes were on the two of us already. “Jongin, you’re so drunk right now.”

“Oh really?” He scoffed. “I think I’m perfectly sober. You just need to it up and admit the truth.”

His words were starting to slur together but I definitely knew better, he wasn’t drunk, not yet.

“I didn’t do anything so moving on.”

After the intense mini-argument we had, Jongin just kept taking shots. I wasn’t even sure if it was for the game anymore or if he was just downing the vodka for the sake of it. When we got tired of the game, everybody just sprawled over the floor, talking non-sense.

I watched with a sober mind as everybody waved around their shot glasses or cans of beer.

“Ji Eun~ I looovveeeee you.” Chanyeol sang as he snuggled next to my bestfriend who could only watch him as he went off about how much he loved her and wished he could have more time with her.

It was sweet really, I wished I could have Luhan here with me, not drunk per se, but with me so that I could just be in his arms.

“Jongin! I dare yoouu to kiss the prettiest girl in this room.” Sehun’s voice rang throughout the dorm. I sighed, the two maknaes were still going at it, starting their own game of truth or dare.

“Noooooo! Jongin stay away from my Ji Eunnie!” Chanyeol cried, practically smoldering her in his arms.

I watched as a very drunk Jongin came up to me and knelt down beside me, closing in. He giggled and kissed me on the cheek before returning to the clapping maknae.

I sighed and looked around me at all the other drunk members, practically babysitting them. In the corner of the room, I found Baekhyun and Kyungsoo passed out. I got up and went to the closest room to grab them a blanket and pillows to save their neck the next day.

Just as I finished settling them in, I heard the sound of glass hitting the floor by the dining area where Sehun and Jongin were.

Sehun sat there stunned, blood dripping down his forearm where the glass must’ve cut him. Suho got up and stumbled after Jongin who ran into his room and slammed the door after the crash.

I immediately caught up to the leader and stopped him, assuring him that I would take care of the situation and he was in no mental or physical condition to deal with it right now.

When he finally agreed, he got onto the couch and closed his eyes, drifting off to sleep. I turned to Sehun and asked him where the first aid kit was. After I got it, I returned and worked on his cut. Luckily it wasn’t too deep but it did take a while to clear the glass pieces and bandage the arm up.

Jongin and Sehun must have gotten in some heck of a fight. The vodka bottle was broken, glass was all over the place. While I was fixing Sehun up, he fell asleep on my shoulder. In the end, I woke him up slightly and helped him walk to his room where he completely passed out for the night.

I went back and cleaned up the mess. After I was done, I took a deep breath. Time to face Jongin. Half of me really wished that he would have already been asleep in his room so that I didn’t have to deal with a senseless and emotional kid but all hopes of that was shattered when I walked into the room and found him laying on the bed, breathing heavily with a bunch of items thrown around him.

“What do you want?” He grumbled when I shut the door behind me. I looked at him and immediately felt disheartened. He looked so miserable at the moment.

I approached him and sat on the bed next to him. “Jongin what happened?” I asked softly.


“Sehun and I got in a fight.” Jongin replied.

“Do you mind telling me about what?” He blinked a few times as the words I said digested in his brain. His eyes were unfocused, still blurred by the alcohol.

“I told him about me and you.”

“I see.” There was an awkward silence following that.

“Jongin...” He didn’t respond but I knew he was awake. He seemed to be more open when he was drunk so I decided to give my idea a shot. “Jongin, why did you kiss me the other day?”

“Because I wanted to.”

“And Luhan?”

“I don’t like him.” I flinched when he said that. He groaned, and brought his hands up to rub his temples, the alcohol must have been affecting him.

“I don’t like him.” He repeated softly. “I saw you first. You were mine first. It’s not fair. It’s not fair at all. I tried to see the two of you together but it hurts.”

I felt a pang in my heart when he started crying. How long has he been holding this in?  I asked myself. Knowing him, everything was about pride.

“Jongin...” I reached out to somehow console him.

“Don’t touch me!” He shouted, effectively stopping me in my tracks.

“Jongin, I’m sorry.”

“Why are you apologizing?!” He yelled. “It’s not your fault. It never was. I get it. I’m not good enough. When will I ever be as good as Luhan-hyung? It’s not your fault. I was a coward. I should have said something but I didn’t.”

He sat up and smiled at me bitterly. “Just let me go alright? I don’t want to feel this way anymore. It hurts Yoonae. I like you so much. So much more than Luhan ever did and ever will. Just stop it alright?”

I stopped for a moment, contemplating everything he just said. Kim Jongin likes me. Why didn’t he say anything? That explains his stupid behaviour from before but...

“I don’t want to let you go.” I whispered softly in realization. Sure in no way was I able to reciprocate his feelings but... “Jongin, you’re my bestfriend. I can’t let you go.”

“It’s me, or Luhan.” He replied as he leaned closer to me. I could smell the alcohol from his breath. “You can’t keep the both of us.”

He kissed me.

I felt it all, his pain, his longing and an overall truth from everything he said just moments before. And although I didn’t return the kiss, for once, I couldn’t find it in myself to push him away.

 

---

A/N: HAPPY HAPPY VIRUS DAY!

AKA. HAPPY CHANYEOL DAY!

AKA. HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHANYEOL! MY FAVOURITE, MOST LOVE-ABLE HAPPY GIANT EVER!

I LOVE YOUUUUU!

 

And.....sorry for the sad update?
Personally, this is one of my favourite chapters so far. We finally get to see another side of Jonginnie. So sad.
But I hope this explains it all!
Anyways, thanks for the comments, the subscriptions and all the support.
Love you guys!

-CHANYEOL'S WIFEY! (and Ryeowook's and Sungmin's and Taemin's, Luhan's, Kai's, Sehun's, Youngmin's, Kwangmin's, Chen's and Baekhyun's)