Finding Out

It's A Love/Hate Relationship

The next day, I decided to spend some hours of my morning searching up EXO to get to know the group better. Personality wise, none of them were bad people so I guess it would be worth giving them a shot once and for all.

I began with their first song “What Is Love.”

“Korean version....or Chinese version?” I wondered to myself. “Hm....I like Chennie.....so.....best for last!”

I clicked on the Korean version and watched as Baekhyun and D.O appeared on the screen. I then gasped at the sight of Chanyeol and again when I recognized each of the members that popped up briefly on the screen. For the most part though, make-up did a good job disguising the boys and it took a while to recognize a few from the night before.

“Who is that?” I wondered to myself, around the one minute mark. There was someone recognizable but at the same time, I couldn’t pinpoint which member it was. “Oh well, he’s good looking.”

Towards the middle of the song Kai had a little dance break. I burst out laughing when I saw his little get-up and “object of affection.”

“Is this guy serenading a hat?” I laughed at the idea and laughed even harder when I took in the seriousness of his expression.

By the end of the song, I gave up trying to point out each member. It was hard with all the lighting, make-up and changing cuts. Instead, I just focused on Baekhyun and D.O’s singing. There were two main singers in K....so there should be two in M as well right? Chen was the only one that introduced himself as a lead singer of M yesterday so...who was the second person?

I clicked on the Chinese version. It took only 10 seconds. 10 seconds to for me to recognize the overly familiar face.

“No....it can’t be.” After insisting it was my imagination, I let it play on, but the face, his voice, it was impossible to mistaken.

To Luhan:
Can we meet up today? I have something I need to talk to you about.
Luhan: I should be free around 1. I’ll meet you at our cafe?
Sure.
Luhan: Yoonae, is something wrong?
Nothing. I’ll see you then.

I put my phone aside and closed my laptop before flinging myself on my bed. I buried my head in my pillow and closed my eyes as I waited for the next few hours to pass.

‘This isn’t really happening.’I thought to myself. ‘Is it?’

---

I couldn’t help but look around as I waited in the cafe for Luhan to arrive. I should have been more cautious before. What if someone saw us together? What if rumours started to spread? Wouldn’t he get in trouble? It could ruin his career before it even began.

I should have realized it earlier too. The way he and Kai hid from the public yesterday at Lotte World. Him being a ‘trainee’ and best friends with EXO. It even made sense that he was scolded by Kris yesterday when we got back to the dorm. Why didn’t I see it sooner?

I hid my face in my palms out of frustration. Kai was right, I am blind.

“Yoonae, annyeong!” I looked up to see an overly happy Luhan sitting across from me. When did he get there?

“Hey,” I said, forcing a smile on my face, but in the end, I couldn’t do it. I tried to convince myself that everything was just going to be the same as before, but in the end, I couldn’t get over it.

My boyfriend is a celebrity. He’s going to debut soon and be one of Asia’s biggest idols.

I sighed. I just couldn’t get the way he looked in the music video out of my head.

“Is something the matter?” He asked me cautiously, he lowered his head to try to make eye contact with me but in the end, I just continued to look down.

“Luhan...is there something that you need to tell me?” I said quietly. I had to stay calm especially since we were in public. I couldn’t bring attention to him, otherwise, who knew what pictures would be around the net within the next hour.

“Um...no, not really. I was under the impression that you had something to tell me.” He replied. I looked up at him.

“Is there something you’re hiding from me?” I asked him directly. He flinched and plastered a smile on his face. I hated it, it was fake.

“No, why would I? There’s nothing to hide.” He lied.

“Where were you before this?”

“Work.” He answered almost immediately. “I was in the studios...as a trainee you know.”

“Really?” He nodded. I was starting to get mad. “Who was with you? I bet Kai was. And Kris. And Chen. And Xiumin. What about Kyungsoo-shii? Baekhyun? Chanyeol. And I’m willing to bet Lay, Suho, Tao and Sehun were there too right? You and all other 11 trainees that are going to debut in a month or two.”

He stared at me like a deer caught in headlights. He said nothing, not a single word. That only made my anger rise even more.

“You didn’t even bother telling me about that vital piece of information? What do you think I am? Stupid? You think I’m so oblivious that I wouldn’t find out that the guy I’m dating is a member of EXO. SM Entertainment’s EXO!” I growled but at the same time, I made sure to control myself.

‘Don’t do this to him.’ I reminded myself. ‘You have a right to be mad, but don’t ruin this for him.’

“Say something Luhan.” I begged quietly in a much calmer voice. “Why did you hide this from me?”

“I was scared that you would hate me...” He finally spoke up after a long silence. “You couldn’t stand EXO so I thought I would get to know you first and then afterwards, you would get to know them and....I swear I was going to tell you soon Yoonae. I swear I was, I just couldn’t last night.”

“I talked to the other members last night.” He told me, “when you and Jongin were sitting out in the living room. They were really happy for me Yoonae but when I told them that you didn’t know about...me, some of them said that it was better that way so then you wouldn’t have to deal with the pressure of dating a celebrity.”

“So you told them to lie with you?” I said in pure disappointment. “Even Kai-shii, and Ji Eun.”

He nodded and silence came upon us again.

I could see why he would be scared, I did pretty much put down his entire group and in some ways, I was thankful for him protecting me but in the end, it hurt. It hurt knowing that he didn’t trust me with his identity. It hurt thinking that he would turn my bestfriend against me.

“Let’s take a break for a while.”

His head snapped up as his eyes widened. I immediately made a move to calm him down before he could start panicking.

“Just for a while.” I assured him. “I really like you Luhan...I really do. I just want you to focus on your career first alright? Please, do this for me...for yourself. I don’t want you to contact me until after you debut. It’s not right to keep you running back and forth. It’s a lot of work and-”

“I can do it though, it’s a lot of work but I don’t want to live without you.” He insisted. I sighed.

“Just for a while. Get used to the celebrity life first and then see if you still want me alright?”

“I’ll always want you.-”

“I know.” I said, cutting him off. “Maybe that’s what you think now, but let’s just wait it out.”

“Are you breaking up with me?”

“If that’s what you want it to be.” I felt my heart ache and tears threatening to pour but I couldn’t do that. Not now. I couldn’t go back on this now.

“I don’t want it to be.” He mumbled. “I just got you to be my girlfriend, I don’t want to let you go now.”

“Just wait it out. There’s only 1 month left really.” He opened his mouth to protest again but was cut off by the sound of his phone ringing.

“Hyung....I had to meet up with a friend. Now?...Okay, I’ll be right there. See you.”

“You have to go now.” I told him. He shook his head, “I don’t want to.” He said.

I looked down and took a deep breath. In an instant, I stood up and headed for the door despite hearing his protests behind me. When I had finally reached my car and opened the car door, I felt a hand on my wrist holding me back.

“Don’t leave me.” He begged, his voice was on the verge of cracking. He wasn’t crying was he? “Don’t leave me. I’m sorry I lied but I promise I won’t do it again. Please?”

Damn it, he was crying. My heart clenched at the sound of my angel being broken down. But I had to let him go.

“Luhan, let go of me.” He didn’t. “Let go of me now, or we’re really over.”

It hurt me to hear those words come out of my mouth. I wasn’t the one who said that was I? Slowly, his hand fell from mine. I had to get out of there.

“I’m sorry.” I mumbled before slipping into the car and driving off.

Maybe it’s for the best.

 

---

A/N: It's hard coming up with chapter names that don't entirely spoil a chapter T.T

Anyways.....don't kill me =( I love Luhan too~