Kai: Part 2

I'll Never Break Your Heart

A year has passed. Kai is physically fine, though still with a gas mask on his face. Ever since da incident, he hasn't woke up yet. The operation was a success but he was announced a 'vegatable' upon his exit out of the Operation room. His soul may be there but his life depends on a machine. Every breathe he took sounded like Darth Vader. I was really scared at first but then I got used to it quite fast.

 

I was sitting next to Kai's bed. I could faintly see his chest pumping up and down but his eyes are close. I could, more or less, know that he could hear me. But there's no telling when he might wake up. And so, I would always come close to him while holding his hands and whisper to him what happened that day.

 

Me: Kai, today I ate a lot. I ate sushi, taco and even noodles. I gain weight, baby. How?

 

No response. I'm not giving up but everytime I continue, I always get disappointed. A reply will come by.

 

Me: I've now gotten myself a tummy. Besides that, I've been thinking about you. Did you know, I've written at least 3 diaries just this year alone? Haha..

 

My laughter had a short span as my tears are collected by my lids. My grip just loosen and his hand fell on my lap. I bend forward to place my aching head to my own hands. Kai's hand is not slightly crushed my my tummy but as soon as our skin touched, my tummy had a very weird feeling. I was in a shock that my eyes flicked open, hoping that he will wake up.

 

I was wrong.

 

__

 

I left Kai's room when it was Mrs Kim's turn to take care of Kai. I was in a really bad state, I put my hopes too high, I almost drown in my own happiness. I quit sobbing, held onto my bag and walk with my head up straight. 

 

It was tough going home with my mind all cloudy. But I always keep on replay the memories I had with Kai and that just keeps me going. I've met Baekhyun recently and he heard about Kai. He is having some issues for himself but he promises to meet Kai as soon as possible. He had been quite a lad for sending me home all the time. Well, he would meet me at Subway where I would always get my late night snacks. We would talk about stuff, mainly about how Kai was during training.

 

Baekhyun would tell me that Kai would always call him Officer and Sir, being in favor of Baekhyun of course. That led to Kai being the Senior Officer of his Batch. He led his whole platoon and won multiple Marching and Excellence Awards. He was being loved by his fellow mate, though he also plan Birthday Bashes which literally means bringing the fellow cadets of the month to the corner and whacking the living daylights out of them. But after that, he will use the money he collects every month to buy a delicious cake for the whole Platoon to enjoy.

 

Baekhyun: At times, when I drop by, I would voluntarily buy the cakes but Kai would always buy something, even if it was napkins or balloons.

 

I smiled proudly. I knew that even though he may look stubborn and a little ego but he is lovely, allroundedly.

 

Baekhyun: I think I should bring you home now. It's already 10.

 

I nodded and headed out.

__

The next day came and I was getting ready to go visit Kai at the hospital. But when I was wearing my shoes at the frontyard, I could hear Mrs Kim sob at the sidewalk, waiting for Mr Kim to take the car out of the garage. I was about to approach Mrs Kim but then again, maybe Kai's situation has hurt her a little too much. My tummy went wild again. I made a mental reminder to buy a cookie on the way to Kai's ward so that I would not have to trouble anyone.

 

I made my way to the nearest 7-11 from the Hospital to grab a bite. As soon as I made my way to the snack isle, I could not seem to find any cookies or any other snacks for that matter. All I could find are Dim Sums which aren't my favourite but that will have to do. I went to the fridges next to the cashier to get myself my favourite Orange Juice with pulp. But yet again, unfortunately, there were only Promegranade Juice or Peach Tea. I slowly shut the door close and went over to the Tea side.

 

Me: I swear to god, if they do not have at least the basics such as Chrysenthemum Tea or Green Tea, I'm gonna burst.

 

I began mumbling to myself, half praying and hoping that my last resort will be there.

 

SLAM!

 

Is there a curse bestowed upon me or something? Why does it seem as though today is the worst day of my life? First is seeing Mrs Kim cry and not being courageous enough to come up to her. Second is the y snacks I've gotta consider. What's next? Sigh.. Well, root beer would have to do. Sigh..

 

I finally reached the 3rd Storey, walking towards Kai's wward when I heard Mr Kim shouting for the first time.

 

Mr Kim: Don't rush us! He may be disabled but he can still hear. I am his father, I shall decide when I should end his life.

 

My body just went immobilised.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Comment and subscribe:D!~