Then, it happened

I'll Never Break Your Heart

It was a total blur. My whole body is moving at a certain momentum but was jerking at some parts due to the sudden brakes. The ride was very much frightening. My mind was really in a chaotic manner since I am not sure of my well-being. I realise that I was passing by the sunset because I could see rays of orange lights skimming throught the threads of the drape that is over my head.

 

We drove a few miles until I felt the van going uphill and going around and around.

 

Man: Hey, we're now in the carpark. Shall we make the call?

 

Man2: Shut it, you idiot! She might hear us!

 

At some point, I felt kinda relieved hearing voices, though a muffled one. At least I know that people are taking me, not evil spirits. Honestly, I still can't believe all this is happening but I'm putting on my behaviour, hoping that they would let me live longer. I turned my aching body, groaning at the same time. Then, I felt a hand by my cheeks.

 

Man3: I'm sorry but this was my last resort.

 

That was what I could hear and it's enough to tell me that death is far from this situation. I snuggled my face into him hands, assuring him that everything is okay.

 

Me: It's okay but I really hope this will end. My arms are beginning to sore.

 

Then, someone untied my arms and bends close to my ears.

 

Man3: I trust you will not take off the blindfold.

 

Though I am still 'blind', I knew the kidnapper is in front of me. So, I took his hands and tangled my fingers with his. My other hand slowly crept to his chest.

 

Me: I hope you won't feel bad.. And please calm down. Your heart is pumping fast.

 

Then, slowly but shakily retracted my hands and careful place it on my lap as the van came to an utter stop. 

 

Man: Should we?

 

Man2: Hey man, are you gonna do it?

 

I know they were refering to the nice one, the one that released me and made me feel comfortable. Then, I could feel someone sitting down while leaning against me.

 

Man3: Hey.. Listen, I hope you could help me with this. I need your number for the ransom. And after that, I will let you go. I promise.

 

Me: Alright. But promise.

 

I held out my pinky, hoping that it would twirl with him. I heard a small chuckle and my pinky was carassed by a slender yet soft finger.

 

Man3: A guy's honour.

 

I slowly recited to him my number, trusting him all the way. I don't know if this is an epitome of gulliable but I don't know why, I just feel the need to trust him. Not long, I heard frantic small voices that made me shiver.

 

Dad: What have you done to my baby girl?

 

Dad. He must have been worried.

 

Man3: Don't worry. She is fine.

 

Dad: Lemme talk to her!

 

He came near me, making me stretch my hands to grab the phone but instead, I touch his smooth and silky cheeks. My fingers slip off those cheeks, quickly accompanied by his hands to hand me the phone. I could feel his breath by my ears as he hands me the phone.

 

Man3: My dear, don't panic. Just say you're okay.

 

I nodded and held the phone by my ears.

 

Me: Daddy?

 

Dad: My girl! My baby girl! Are you okay? Are you hurt?

 

Me: No, Daddy. I'm fine.

 

Once again, a pair of lips brush pass my ears.

 

Man3: Okay, can I have the phone back? Please?

 

I simply pass back the phone and smiled, at least Dad knows I'm not in utter danger or anything.

 

The man just asked Dad for some ransom and didn't even say the cliche line, '..or not, your daughter is gonna die.' He is a very kind man, just maybe in a desperate position. He put down the phone and told him accomplice to stop the engine as we camp in the van for the night. Just as I was about to shut my eyes, though there is no need for it as it's all pitch dark, I heard someone whispered to my ears.

 

Man3: I'm sorry. I really am.

 

He kissed my temple and shuffled beside me to sleep.

 

Me: [Thought] It's okay. I understand.

_____

 

I woke up, hearing the sound of sirens. Ambulance, police, a whole squad of them. Even helicopters and sounds of guns reloading. I was dragged out of the van hurrily and my mask was pulled off. I was scared as . The man put an arm around my neck, partly choking me. So, I use all the energy left to left his arm slightly away from my neck, allowing myself to breathe. Squads were told to surround the area. Shoutings where being exchanged but I was too scared to retaliate until I heard a familiar voice.

 

Man3: I told you to bring no one! Is this the way to be subtle?!

 

He was mad. He was really mad. Death appeared in my head as I looked up at the one clinging onto me. He was in a ski mask but his eyes were perfectly seen. He had dark brown eyes but it was showing signs of fear. I was not facing the police force at all but I was, sure enough, the bait.

 

Man3: Stay! Stay where you are!

 

....: I'm not gonna hurt you. Put down that gun.

 

I was being swayed as he began inspecting if there were anyone else charged forward towards us. Then suddenly, I was being swayed to face the whole Force with a gun leaning against my temple. But only one face mattered. Kai.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

He had his arms up high, in a surrendering position. This must have been his first mission. But obviously, he didn't know it was me. In a split second, after seeing my face, he quickly shuffle out a gun from behind and aimed it towards us. I was struggling to get out of the man's arms. I wanted to hug Kai. I was shaking too badly, I needed his comfort. I missed his warmth.

 

Police: Chief, it's wise to keep calm and continue negotiating.

 

Kai began to calm down but still held up his gun. All of a sudden, a bullet was shot from a police car near Kai. Some smartass decided to take things into his own hands. It hit the huge rock behind us, spurting out tiny rocks to the back of our heads. Just then, the guy holding me hostage stretched him arms and fired the gun. The impact made the both of us jerk to the back as the gun's forceful impact travel from his hand to our connected bodies.

 

I heard a crack sound as my eyes were wide open.

 

Splat.

 

The sound of blood. Thick blood.

 

 

Then, I saw Kai flew back. He was shot.