Chapter 4

You're The One
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 A few seconds passed before Jaejoong nodded. "Why not? How long have we been friends?”

Yunho took a long moment before answering. “Sixteen years. Since Junior year in high school.” Yunho quirked an eyebrows.

“Right, and grandpa didn't mention it has to be a girl to be your fiancee. Am I right?"

Yunho stared at him, at a loss for words. This is a golden opportunity that will only come once in a life time. He had no excuses really. He shrugged, looking helpless. "I guess I never thought it might come between us."

There's silence between the duo.

Yunho looked at the beautiful face in front of him. His family had love Jaejoong from the minute they'd met him. Especially Grandpa! 

Yunho can't help but smile. His smile soon stretched to a grin. “You know, Jae, you might be right. Grandpa adores you. But... can we be a convincing couple?” Yunho asked with uncertainty in his voice.

Jaejoong leaned forward and very earnestly said, “I'm willing to try for one month or so it takes to get your promotion if you, yourself are willing.”

Actually, Yunho thought, it wasn't a bad idea. “I like the idea. Not bad at all.” Yunho grinned from ear to ear. “Ah, Jaejoong, you know that I always love you. You're really my best friend that I can always rely on.“ He was certain this time.

'Only as your best friend.'   Jaejoong let out a little sigh unknowing to Yunho. It wasn't Yunho's fault he didn't feel same way for him. Jaejoong accepted that. He had so much else to love Yunho, a shared history, family, so many years together, that was far more important than some misguided romantic notion of getting together.

"Then perhaps you know what I’m going to say next.” Yunho pulled out the ring from his pocket. “I was going to return this afternoon . . .” He stood up, moved in front of Jaejoong and gets down on one knee.

"Kim Jaejoong, will you be my fiance? With the understanding that if we don't suit each other, we can break the engagement after I get my promotion?”

Jaejoong laughed. “You're such a goof. ” He covered his hand holding the ring in his palm. “Yes, I'll be your fiance as long as it takes to get you that promotion. Futhermore, I'll go with you right now to exchange that ring.”

“Anything for you my friend." Yunho flagged down their waiter and asked for the check.

Five minutes later Jaejoong found himself in Yunho's car being hustled across the busy thoroughfare to the shopping mall. They went up to the second floor and stopped in front a jewelry store with engagement rings prominently positioned in the showcase. “Find a ring you like, don't worry about the price.”

Jaejoong looked at him, as though nothing he said would surprise him, then he shook his head. “You don’t have to spend on me, Yunho. I’m just helping you.”

”Thanks.” Yunho replied softly. "But I want to."

Jaejoong looked again at the ring. "If you are sure."

"I'm sure. Besides Grandpa would expect it."

Jaejoong clapped his hands once. "Well then, let’s get a ring that will make a statement." He smiled then stepped into the jewelry store.

A middle aged saleswoman, came over to greet them. “May I help you?”

Yunho pulled out the ring box from his pocket. "I'd like to exchange this . . ." He opened the box. "For whatever he wants." Yunho indicated to Jaejoong.

She smiled at both of them. "Here are the traditional solitaires. And over there are the new modern classics." she pointed to the show case. She continued, "If you have the receipt for this one I'll start the paperwork and let you two look by yourselves."

Yunho fished out his wallet, took out

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter