Priority

You're Mine

(Two days later)

 

—Yesung’s POV—

I still couldn’t believe we managed to resolve Mi and Henry’s problem just like that. I suppose that once Zhoumi knew the truth, it wasn’t that difficult Henry to talk him round. The anger that he felt at himself when Wookie spoke to him was rather expected. If he hadn’t been angry at himself, then he didn’t deserve to be with Henry.

From what Henry told us yesterday, he was working things out with Mi. Wookie had a mini victory session in our room when he heard that, going all over the place and dancing randomly. He’d been so uptight ever since Henry and Zhoumi broke up, so I was glad that the news of Henry and Zhoumi fixing things again made Wookie happy.

It was another school day and it was just about time for Wookie and I to leave the house with Jongjin. Unsurprisingly, Jongjin was on the phone with Jieun yet again. That kid was too distracted by his relationship sometimes and it worried me a little because he was beginning to neglect his school work. No matter how much Wookie and I went out, we would always make sure to finish our work at the end of the day.

I watched as Wookie put something in his bag and laughed loudly, causing him to turn around and give me a pointed look. I continued to laugh in pure amusement as Wookie zipped his bag up and walked over to hit me with it, a cute pout forming on his lips.

“You’re bringing Kiki the giraffe to school?” I asked him incredulously, still unable to control my laughter. Wookie nodded and pouted at me, looking as innocent as an angel, as if nothing was wrong with bringing a stuffed giraffe to school when you were already twenty-years-old. Technically, there wasn’t anything wrong. It was just a tad weird, but I guess that was one of the things that made Wookie, well, him.

“He’s cute!” Wookie protested. I raised a questioning brow at him, knowing very well that there was another reason why Wookie would bring a stuffed giraffe to school. You don’t see him bringing any of his other stuffed animals to school. Wookie looked down at the ground and kicked the air. “…and you bought him for me, so I want to show him off,” Wookie added quietly.

I grinned and pulled Wookie in for a quick kiss. “I guessed as much.”

Wookie flushed slightly and punched me in the shoulder. “Let’s just go already.”

I nodded with the grin still plastered onto my face, and called out for Jongjin. As expected, he hadn’t hung up yet and was still talking to Jieun. I frowned at him and Jongjin stuck his tongue out, telling Jieun that he had to go before ending the call. “Hyung,” Jongjin whined.

“Jongjin-ah, you need to study harder. I know you want to spend as much time with Jieun as possible but please, don’t neglect your studies. Sungie’s just worried,” Wookie told him. Jongjin nodded silently and walked out of the house, waiting for us by the lift. Wookie bent down to scratch Kkoming behind her ear before leaving the house with me behind him.

Wookie went to get Kangin and came over to where Jongjin and I were waiting in silence. We walked to the bus stop together as usual and the bus came almost immediately. When we got on, we saw that Zhoumi and Henry were on the same bus, which was weird because this bus didn’t go to their part of town.

“Hyung!” Henry called out, ignoring the stares of annoyed passengers. Wookie beamed and nearly ran over to Henry. Kangin and I exchanged looks after eyeing Zhoumi, and we silently agreed that Zhoumi was almost back to normal already. He’d just been utterly misled by Sooyoung, but now he was right back on track.

When Zhoumi sent me a grateful smile, I shook my head and pointed at Wookie.

The credit was all his.

 

----------------------

 

The moment we arrived in the cafeteria, Heechul jumped onto Henry and showered him with hugs. I honestly didn’t get how Heechul could suddenly be so happy when just a couple of days ago, he’d threatened to murder Zhoumi or to castrate him. I couldn’t really remember.

Well, that wasn’t the matter at hand. Wookie was happy and that was really all that mattered to me. As selfish as it sounded, I only cared about whether or not Wookie was happy. Sure, I didn’t like to see our friends upset, and they did use to be my top priority. That was before I got together with Wookie though, and what mattered most to me now was Wookie’s happiness. My main focus would always be to make Wookie happy.

I glanced up as Wookie squeezed my hand, snapping me out of my trance. I smiled lightly at him as he pointed towards the auditorium, nodding in response. “What were you thinking about?” he asked while we walked up to the auditorium.

“You,” I replied honestly. “You know you’ll always be my top priority, right?”

Wookie grinned and nodded, interlacing our fingers. I heard catcalls from behind us and turned around to see Heechul looking rather smug. For what, I had no idea. I looked at him questioningly and he merely shrugged in reply.

“You guys were a little tense the past few days. I’m glad you’re fine now,” he explained with a smile.

Heechul realised too, huh? For someone as snarky and crazy as our resident , he was actually rather sensitive to little things. Heechul cared a lot about us but he just showed his concern differently, like Kyuhyun.

Wookie nodded in agreement, not denying the fact that things had been rather tense between us for a couple days. It mostly had to do with how Wookie kept thinking about leaving me. Wookie had been on edge because of Henry and Zhoumi’s situation, and when Wookie was on edge, I was too.

We took our seats in the auditorium and waited for morning assembly to begin. Zhoumi was bickering with Eunhyuk who was threatening to pummel him to the ground, while Donghae and Henry were trying their best to be mediators and stop the two friends from arguing. I watched in mild amusement as Zhoumi got hit on the head a number of times, unable to prevent a smile from creeping onto my face.

I didn’t notice when Wookie opened his bag and took a very certain stuffed toy out, shoving Kiki the giraffe right in my face. I jolted in surprise, narrowing my eyes at Wookie who was doubled over in laughter. He managed to get everyone’s attention on him, and Kibum was the first to comment on the presence of Kiki the giraffe. Wait, when did Kibum and Siwon even get to school?

“What’s with the giraffe?”

“Isn’t he adorable? Sungie bought him for me when we went out last Friday!” Wookie exclaimed happily, attracting even more attention than before. Now people outside of our group were staring at Wookie in amusement, with some of Wookie’s classmates chuckling at him. Kibum raised a brow at me and I shrugged, not being able to deny the fact that I was indeed the one who bought the stuff giraffe for Wookie.

“Why?”

“Saturday was his birthday,” I explained. Wookie grinned widely and nodded.

“Now tell me that Kiki is adorable!”

“…Kiki?” Siwon deadpanned.

Wookie furrowed his brows at Siwon and I sighed inwardly. Siwon had to learn when to question things, because questioning how Wookie named the giraffe wasn’t a good idea. When you indirectly insult Wookie, which Siwon probably just did, you don’t simply get away with it.

“Is something wrong with that name?” Wookie challenged. Siwon raised a brow at me, just like how Kibum had previously, and I shrugged in return once more. I wasn’t going to help Siwon unless I wanted Wookie to be pissed off at me.

“Don’t you think the name is a little simple?” Siwon asked.

“Are you calling me dumb?”

“What? No!”

“You were totally implying it!” Wookie retorted, smacking Siwon on the arm multiple times. Don’t ever be deceived by Wookie’s size and appearance. He packs a good punch under all that cuteness of his. Kibum watched Siwon be tortured while Siwon yelped a couple of times.

As I watched Wookie abuse Siwon, I couldn’t help but realise one thing. When I told Wookie that I was his top priority, mere minutes ago…

…he didn’t tell me the same thing.

 

--------------------

 

As the school bell rang and Wookie and I walked out of school, Zhoumi came running up to us. He bowed to Wookie who looked at him with a tiny smile on his face. The Chinese man then proceeded to thank Wookie for cursing some sense into him, quite literally too.

Wookie grinned sheepishly and waved Zhoumi off. “It was nothing, hyung. I had a lot to vent and you happened to be a convenient outlet for me to curse at,” Wookie said truthfully. Well, it wasn’t like we didn’t know what Wookie had to vent about. On the bright side, hopefully Wookie had released all off that pent-up stress and anger at Sooyoung.

Zhoumi actually laughed at that and I thought that maybe he was a little mad after all. Who would enjoy being cursed at, honestly? Well, besides Zhoumi of course. I understood that he needed to be cursed at otherwise he wouldn’t have come to his senses, but to laugh when he was told that Wookie just needed to curse at someone? Zhoumi was definitely strange.

“It worked, at least. I’m sorry you spent your birthday cursing me out though,” Zhoumi said apologetically. Wookie waved Zhoumi off once more, pointing out that he’d already celebrated his birthday on Friday.

“Besides, it was way more important to settle your problems than to celebrate my birthday,” Wookie added as an afterthought. I recalled how Wookie actually wanted to find Zhoumi last Friday, instead of go out with me to the zoo. I had to make him come with me, and Shindong had helped me out by asking Wookie when we last had a proper date.

Zhoumi shook his head with a slight frown. “Your birthday should come first.”

Henry suddenly appeared and grabbed onto Zhoumi’s hand naturally. I noticed how Zhoumi recoiled just slightly, probably still thinking that he had done too much wrong to deserve forgiveness. Henry had a strong enough grip on him though, preventing him from pulling his hand back. I saw then that Zhoumi was definite Henry’s top priority.

“Gege’s right though. You should’ve celebrated your birthday with everyone else,” Henry agreed.

Wookie shook his head, clearly disagreeing with them. “I’ve never been my top priority though.”

Henry glanced over at me. “Then who or what is your top priority, hyung?”

My ears perked up at this and I waited in anticipation for what Wookie would say. I could say that I already knew the answer, after being with Wookie for so many months. Nonetheless, I wanted to hear it from Wookie himself. I didn’t really want to believe in my groundless assumptions, but the chances of my assumptions being correct were rather high. Everyone could see that Wookie cared about all his friends a lot, probably even more than he cared about me. That fact actually stung, quite a bit, too.

Wookie turned to look at me, a small frown evident on his face. He was probably debating with himself at the moment: friends versus boyfriend. Really, it wasn’t too difficult to figure out what Wookie would go with, given his personality. He cared way too much about everyone around him. He cared about me too, of course, but although he cared about me more than he did others, it didn’t automatically make me his top priority. Things weren’t that simple.

“My friends.”

I sighed under my breath and looked at the ground.

I guessed as much.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I quite literally just finished this, because I was rather busy this past week >w< It wasn't too bad, I hope?

Bad news for you guys - I have to go on hiatus AGAIN because of my final exams TT I'm really sorry for the hiatus and this will be longer than the previous hiatus, very sadly :(

I'll be back in six to seven weeks, it really depends :/

I hope you guys enjoyed this and please wait patiently for me! ><

That's all from me for now, annyeong! ^^