Concert

You're Mine

(Two months later)

 

—Yesung’s POV—

It was finally the day of the school concert. What better way to end off the term than by showing off the skills picked up in school? There were a whole line of performers, but most of them were either small groups or solos.

Kyuhyun, Min, Wookie and I had practiced hard over the past six weeks. We spent almost 24 hours to compose the song, and another ten or so hours to match the lyrics with the music. We also spent three days in the school’s recording studio just to record the demo version, for us to refer to as we practiced. We would record a new demo version every week from then on, having practiced together and separately.

I liked the lyrics of the song, and according to Kyuhyun, Wookie had written a bulk of it. When I heard that, I could totally figure out who the person in the song was. Wookie’s story of regret was definitely referring to his history with Sooyoung.

Speaking of Kyuhyun, he still hadn’t remembered anything from the past. Not a single bit of it, but he’s made many new memories with us in the two months that had passed. We had gone out to celebrate Hyuk’s birthday in the beginning of April, and Mi’s birthday in mid-April. I’d say that he’s almost forgotten about how upset he was initially upon hearing about Seohyun’s engagement.

At the current moment, we were doing one last run-through and the stage crew was ensuring that all the lights and speakers were working. The audience was simply members of our school, as well as a number of parents and friends who had been invited. The female counterpart of the school would be performing as well, so the seats in the auditorium (ours) were quickly filling up.

Sungmin was getting jittery. He hadn’t played the guitar in some time, and despite practicing, he felt like he wasn’t up to standard yet. Adding on to that, he also had to remember to sing at the correct times. I watched as Kyuhyun ran his hand up and down Sungmin’s arm in an attempt to calm the elder male. Smiling, I made my way over to my own jittery boyfriend.

I tapped Wookie on the shoulder and he yelped in surprise, jumping around to look at me with wide eyes. When his mind registered me as his boyfriend, he visibly relaxed for second and began to freak out once more. I sighed and made Wookie look me in the eye. “What’s wrong?” I asked, feeling a little worried because Wookie had performed in front of crowds before. He’d used to join competitions all the time, according to him.

“Sooyoung’s in the crowd. I didn’t know that the girls would all come here too!” Wookie all but shrieked, tugging at his nicely styled hair. Our school had hired stylists just for this concert and I bet they were glaring at Wookie for ruining their hard work.

I pulled his hands away from his hair and held them, silently sighing again. I knew exactly why Wookie was so worried. It wasn’t that he cared about Sooyoung’s feelings. He had actually written the song with their regretful relationship in mind, but he knew as well as I did that Sooyoung wouldn’t react well to it. He was worried that she would start to take action yet again.

“She won’t be able to do anything to us, alright? Shh,” I soothed, pecking him on the forehead softly to prove my point. What point? I had no idea. I just knew that I wanted Wookie to calm down and enjoy the experience of performing in front of a crowd. I also didn’t need him hyperventilating and fainting on stage or something.

Thankfully, Wookie seemed to relax just a little. “But what if?” he asked in a small voice.

“We’ll make sure nothing happens, all right?” I replied. Wookie bit his lower lip and nodded hesitantly, trusting me to ensure that all would be well. When I saw him nod, I smiled and pulled him over to where Kyuhyun and Sungmin were.

“We’ll put on the best show this crowd’s ever seen.”

 

--------------------

 

Right after a girl called Luna finished her solo stage, we were up. Wookie had finally gotten over his fear of Sooyoung, at least for this performance. Sungmin, too, had managed to calm his nerves and was doing some final tuning to his guitar. Kyuhyun was warming up a little more, and I did the same.

From what I could remember, the other guys were in the second row. Call Leeteuk crazy, but he booked those seats from a day ago. All of our parents were present too, all sitting in the fifth or sixth row. Jongjin was with umma, and I could see him grinning at us and waving hysterically as we made our way onto the stage.

There were four barstools set up for us and we took our respective seats, smiling our brightest smiles at the crowd. I took a look at Wookie, just a short glance, and saw his smile falter as he scanned the crowd. I couldn’t do anything about it though, since we were already on stage, so I merely smiled as the MC introduced us as Super Junior KRY featuring Sungmin. How had we come up with that name? Our initials, of course.

“Now let us listen to this talented group sing a self-written and self-composed song. Let’s give it up for the four!” the MC exclaimed, exiting the stage as the spotlight shone on us.

A few seconds later, the music began to play from the speakers. Sungmin played his guitar in sync with the background music and Kyuhyun held his mike up, singing the first line.

dalkomhan ne geu mal nal jugineun ne geu mal
gamanhi kkaemulmyeon sseudisseun geu mal geumanhae

Those sweet words of yours, those words of yours that kill me
The words that are bitter to taste, don’t say them

I took a deep breath as I parted my lips and sang the next line.

miwohaji motae saranghajido motae 
gyeolguk domangchyeobeorindan geu mal jebal geuman geumanhae

I can’t hate you, I can’t love you either
You’re about to say you’re going to run away. Don’t, don’t say it

The moment I finished my line, I turned slightly to look at Wookie. It was his turn now, and I didn’t want him to cry because of the lyrics that he himself wrote.

samkil su eobseotdeon mal
geutorok tteugeopgo dokhaetdeon ne geu mal 

The words I could not swallow
Those hot and poisonous words of yours

I could just see Wookie tearing up slightly and I sighed inwardly. He was too kind for his own good, and up till now he still couldn’t bring himself to hate Sooyoung. He hated what she did, but he didn’t hate her. He claimed to hate her but I knew better. I was snapped out of my thoughts when I heard Sungmin sing his part while playing the guitar.

geu janinhan ipsul
nameun nae miryeonmajeo chagapge jareugo gani 

Those cruel lips
Which coldly cut down my feelings which remained

And I personally felt that this was the hardest part of the song for Wookie to write. He couldn’t bear to sing it, either, so he gave the line to Kyuhyun.

on gaseum eoreobuteun nae gyeoten sarajineun geot deul ppuniya 
charari uri cheoeumbuteo amu geotdo anieotdamyeon 

Your heart is completely frozen, and you’ve disappeared from my side
Maybe it would have been better if we hadn’t been anything from the start

I took the short opportunity to glance at Sooyoung and saw that she was quite absorbed in the song, not really looking angry. I think that maybe, just maybe, she felt bad. Either that, or she was reminiscing the times she spent with Wookie.

dalkomhan ne geu mal nal utge haetdeon geu mal 
gamanhi kkaemulmyeon sseudisseun geu mal geumanhae 

Those sweet words of yours, those words of yours that made me laugh
The words that are bitter to taste, don’t say them

miwohaji motae saranghajido motae 
jinamyeon da ijeul georan geu mal jebal geuman geumanhae 

I can’t hate you, I can’t love you either
You’re about to say I’ll forget with time. Don’t, please don’t say it

I could almost feel the sincerity in Wookie’s voice as he sang the two lines after Sungmin. It kind of hurt a little, knowing that Wookie still cared that teeny bit about Sooyoung. But Wookie was hurt too, because Sooyoung hated him with every cell in her being.

samkil su eobseotdeon mal
geutorok tteugeopgo dokhaetdeon ne geu mal 

The words I could not swallow
Those hot and poisonous words of yours

geu janinhan ipsul
nameun nae miryeonmajeo chagapge jareugo gani 

Those cruel lips
Which coldly cut down my feelings which remained

Kyuhyun and Sungmin sang while looking at each other, and I could just tell that they were hoping for their relationship to be smooth-sailing from then on. I held the mike back up to my lips as I sang my next part.

on gaseum eoreobuteun nae gyeoten sarajineun geotdeulppuniya
charari uri cheoeumbuteo amu geotdo anieotgil 

Your heart is completely frozen, and you’ve disappeared from my side
Maybe it would have been better if we hadn’t been anything from the start

Oh how I wished that there’d been nothing between them from the start, but I guessed that everything happened for a reason.

doraga, nega itdeon jariro 

Go back, to the place you once were

I sure would like Sooyoung to go back to the place she once was, and I could feel Wookie’s emotions pouring out with every syllable that he sang. Again, I opened my lips and let the lyrics flow out.

nega nal moreudeon deo yetnallo 

To the time when you didn’t know me

I did wonder though. What would life be if Wookie hadn’t known Sooyoung? Would he even have liked me? Would we be together?

dasineun ireon sarang hajimalja 

Let’s not love like this again

I guess that Sooyoung loved Wookie a little too much, and she just snapped.

samkil su eobseotdeon mal
geutorok tteugeopgo dokhaetdeon ne geu mal 

The words I could not swallow
Those hot and poisonous words of yours

I never wanted to imagine how Wookie felt when he heard Sooyoung saying that she hated him. I could really feel what he felt through those simple words that he sang. Even if he no longer loved her, it must have been quite the blow to hear her say that she hated him. I sang my last solo line, staring right into Wookie’s eyes and sending him assurance that I would always be here for him.

geu janinhan ipsul nameun nae miryeonmajeo chagapge jareugo gani

Those cruel lips which coldly cut down my feelings which remained

Then came the only line that all four of us sang together.

on gaseum eoreobuteun nae gyeoten sarajineun geot deul ppuniya 
charari uri cheoeumbuteo 

Your heart is completely frozen and you’ve disappeared from my side
Maybe it would have been better if from the start

And Kyuhyun ended the song wonderfully with his line.

amugeotdo anieotdamyeon

We hadn’t been anything

 

-----------------------

 

The concert ended with an upbeat song, but Wookie couldn’t lift his spirits after singing the song, Bittersweet. It was the perfect name for the song, even if we never actually mentioned the word. The story in the song was regretful, bittersweet, in all the ways possible.

After all the performers bowed and thanked the audience, I grabbed onto Wookie’s hand and led him backstage. I was grateful that we were hidden by other performers, so nobody would see us leave earlier than intended. When we got off the stage, I stopped and turned to look at Wookie.

“You’re upset. Why?” I asked, already deducing the reasons as to why my precious boyfriend was so sad. It didn’t help that Wookie refused to answer and instead walked back to one of the changing rooms. I followed after him, reaching out to hold his wrist and keep him still. “Is it because of Sooyoung again?” I couldn’t help but question.

Wookie turned around and narrowed his eyes at me, shocking me slightly. It was the first time I’d seen Wookie so hostile towards me, or anybody for that matter. A chill ran down my spine as Wookie began to walk towards me.

“I’m upset, yeah. Why? It hurts, ok? It freaking hurts to have to sing that to her! It hurts to know that I’m hurting her, even if she couldn’t care less about me! It hurts knowing that she doesn’t give a about my feelings! It hurts to know that I’m hurting everyone around me!” Wookie shouted, running into the toilet and slamming the door shut. I blinked, completely taken aback by Wookie’s outburst. When I got over my initial surprise, I ran over to the toilet and rapped my knuckles on the door.

“Wookie, get out of there. Come on, Wookie,” I pleaded, hearing his sobs and sniffles. I could hear the MC drabbling on and on about something and guessed that the other performers were still on stage, so I took a deep breath and banged on the door. “Kim Ryeowook, open the door now or I’ll kick it down!” I warned.

My threatening seemed to have work as Wookie unlocked the door, but didn’t open it. I took the initiative to walk in and locked the door once more, enveloping Wookie into my embrace and letting him cry on my shoulder.

“I just… I loved her, you know? You’re the one I love now, but I cared so much for her and she treats my friends like this. I’m sorry I hurt her, but nothing can be changed!” Wookie cried, seeming to get even more upset by the second.

I sighed and smoothed Wookie’s hair back. “You said that nothing can be changed, and it’s true. There’s nothing you can do about her either. Getting so upset won’t help anyone, Wookie. Now wipe your tears away and let’s go out, arasso?” I suggested.

Wookie looked up at me with watery eyes, contemplating my suggestion. He gave in and nodded, hastily wiping at his cheeks and checking the mirror for any signs of crying. His eyes were a little swollen but he couldn’t exactly hide that.

After a minute, we walked out of the toilet. An idea to cheer Wookie up came to mind and I bent down to whisper into his ear.

“You know, you could always have some to cheer you up.”

Wookie blushed lightly in spite of himself and hit me on the arm.

Yup, that’s the Wookie I fell in love with.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Doing the lyrics was such a bish =_= It took wayyy too much time ><

Well, I didn't wanna keep adding random fillers and wasting my brain juices so I ended up skipping over to the school concert XD

I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter and... I don't really know, look forward to the next I guess?

I'm actually quite surprised that I managed to finish this chapter on time ._. That's all for now, see you next week! Annyeong~! ^-^