Try

You're Mine

(A day later)

 

—Sungmin’s POV—

I didn’t want to speak. I didn’t want to see anyone. I knew that all of my friends worried about me, but I needed more time. I couldn’t just accept this reality, even if Kyu was willing to give me a chance. I didn’t want to give myself a chance. I just couldn’t.

It had hurt so much when Kyu didn’t recognise me. I was glad that he at least wanted to try and remember, but who was he doing it for? It seemed like he was doing everything for Seohyun, rather than for me. And I absolutely hated that fact.

Another thing that made me so upset was the fact that Kyu called me ‘Sungmin hyung’. The last time he called me that was before we got together, and now we’re back to square one. I completely disliked the feeling of being forgotten. I abhorred it.

It wasn’t like Kyu and I had gone through a lot to finally be together, but we had our ups and downs. His first accident was one of them, and god knew I blamed myself for that. This accident could potentially cause Kyu to never remember me, and the times that we shared. That wasn’t the reality that I wanted, but I had to acknowledge that it was a possibility.

It had felt to right for me to be in Kyu’s arms yesterday, to cry on his shoulder. I had done that a couple of times before and it was just natural for me. Kyu hadn’t looked uncomfortable either, so maybe he really wanted to give things a try.

My train of thoughts was broken when a head peeked into the room. My gaze shifted from the wall across me to the visitor in my room, and I nearly narrowed my eyes at her. I hadn’t seen my cousin in quite some time, and it was surprising that she even knew about my being in the hospital.

“Sungmin, how’re you doing? I heard that you didn’t want to eat or speak, and I’ve also heard about your situation. You know that this Kyuhyun guy will remember you for sure, right?” Viki asked. This particular cousin of mine loved to appear at random times, having moved to France when she was still young. I ignored her, just as I did everyone else.

“Who could forget someone like you? That guy must be mad if he actually forgot you totally,” Viki rolled her eyes, taking a seat beside my bed. The urge to prove her wrong was so strong, I actually almost snapped at her. I had to force myself to calm down, maintaining my expression.

Completely not speaking to me anymore, Viki merely took out some fruits to eat. Although I would never have eaten, it would’ve been nice if she bothered to ask. She didn’t, though. She merely ate her fruits until the door to my room opened again.

The moment I saw who it was, my heart jumped and I was hopeful again. Kyu had, apparently, gotten a nurse to wheel him over to my room. I was a lot more positive than I was yesterday, even if I still wasn’t talking. I had to admit, I was being dumb. I should grab hold of this chance and make Kyu remember me. With that newfound determination, I forced a small smile at Kyu.

Viki stared at me, then at Kyu, and she gave a knowing smile. “So this is Kyuhyun?”

Kyu looked at Viki curiously. “And you are?”

“I’m Sungmin’s cousin. It’s nice to finally meet you, but Sungmin looks like he’s going to kill me. I’d better get going now. Bye Sungmin!” Viki jumped out of the chair, leaving the fruits on my bedside table and running out of my room while waving to Kyu and me. I scowled at her, momentarily forgetting that I was still upset, and that Kyu was in the room. She tended to have that effect on other people, always managing to make them react to her somehow.

“Well, thanks for bringing me here,” I heard Kyu say, snapping me back to reality. The nurse smiled lightly at Kyu and left my room, leaving him alone to make his way to my bedside. “Sungmin hyung,” Kyu said. There was a familiar pang in my chest, but I tried my best to ignore it.

“Kyu,” I replied, actually saying something instead of just mumbling to myself. Ryeowook was right; I was the only one who could make Kyu remember everything, and in order to help him, I had to help myself. I couldn’t keep being so depressed about the situation, not anymore.

“So… those guys brought me these things. They’re yours, right?” Kyu asked, placing a bag in front of me. I raised a brow and opened the bag, taking out whatever was inside. I smiled softly upon seeing the blue stuffed wolf that Kyu had bought and sewn on, as well as the couple tee that he had custom-made. The picture of us together, Kyu kissing me on the cheek, widened my smile just a bit.

Just wait, Kyu. I’ll help you remember everything.

 

-----------------------

 

Kyu passed me one slice of apple and I munched on it, waiting patiently for my laptop to turn on. Kyu was diligently peeling and cutting the fruits that Viki so kindly left behind for me. My heart warmed at the sight, knowing that Kyu cared for me enough to cut fruits for me. It was starting to seem like Kyu wanted to remember for his sake, and not Seohyun’s.

I logged in to my account and started to look for a folder. Kyu leaned over to look at my laptop and I could tell that he was surprised. Why wouldn’t he be? My wallpaper was that of us, both grinning brightly after our first ever date as a couple. I had been back hugging Kyu and peeking out from behind his shoulder, and we had asked a random stranger to take the picture for us. Even now, that was my favourite memory with Kyu.

“They weren’t kidding. Ryeowook, especially,” Kyu mumbled. I was a little confused, wondering what the heck Kyu was talking about, before he continued. “I really was happier with you.”

I smiled bitterly at his words. “But you don’t remember.”

Kyu sighed, and I tried not to care about him as I clicked on the folder. I opened a few pictures and turned the laptop for Kyu to see. He widened his eyes in surprise, and I nearly chuckled at him. Apart from the few pictures of us that I had opened, the folder itself held at least four hundred pictures. How? I was obsessed with taking pictures.

“That’s… a lot… of pictures,” Kyu muttered, scrolling down through the folder.

“I love taking pictures,” I shrugged. He suddenly gasped and clicked on a certain picture.

“Is that really me?” Kyu questioned incredulously. I turned the laptop back so that I could see which picture he was talking about, and I burst out into laughter. I could clearly remember when the picture was taken. It had been some day after school, and we were over at my house. I had been so bored and told Kyu to make any random face to make me laugh. And make me laugh he did.

“You look better when you’re smiling,” Kyu suddenly told me. I bit my lower lip, trying not to cry at that. Whenever we watched a soppy drama and I cried, Kyu would tell me that I look better when I smiled. Hearing that from him now was too similar to the past, even if Kyu still didn’t remember anything at all. “You should smile more.”

I nodded and smiled at him, just for the sake of it, and he returned the smile.

“That’s better.”

I suppressed the urge to sigh, instead continuing to scroll through my folders. There was still one more folder I wanted to show to Kyu, and maybe that would spark something. Even if it didn’t, he would be a lot more convinced that we were a couple.

When I found the folder, I opened a video and told Kyu to watch it with me.

“Minnie, wake up~,” Kyu sang, poking and prodding my side while the camera was on a tripod stand, videoing everything.

“Shut up and get back into bed,” I grumbled, swatting at him. Kyu merely grinned and jumped onto his bed, hugging me tightly and rolling around. He bit my ear roughly, making me yelp and snap my eyes open. “Yah!”

Kyu laughed, kissing the area that he’d bitten. “Sorry Minnie. But you really have to wake up. You were the one who kept asking for more last night, so don’t blame me if you’re tired. We still have school,” he reminded me. I groaned in annoyance but got up anyway.

“Fine. Where are my clothes?” I demanded, sitting up. I was still , but the blanket helped to cover my bottom half from the camera. Kyu looked around his room and then at his laundry basket, where I spotted my clothes in.

“I’ll lend you my clothes,” Kyu suggested, getting up to find clothes that would fit me.

“Underwear, too?”

Kyu snickered. “Probably.”

I rolled my eyes, ignoring the blush spreading across my cheeks. “ert.”

“You love me anyways,” Kyu pointed out.

I sighed. “Yeah, I do.”

I looked at Kyu to see his reaction to the video, and I was more than shocked when I saw that he looked genuinely upset. “Sungmin hyung, I’m sorry I don’t remember. But I’ll try my best,” he promised. I nodded with a small smile.

“We’ll get through this together. And call me Minnie.”

 

----------------------

 

Heechul hyung burst through my room door like the diva that he was, stopping in his tracks when he saw Kyu and me talking about school and how we would be lagging behind by too much. I heard a thud and both of us glanced up to see that everyone behind Heechul hyung had banged into him.

“Sungmin, is that really you?” Heechul hyung asked. I looked at Kyu and winked at him, unknowingly sending his heart into overdrive. He seemed to understand, and winked back at me. I turned back to Heechul hyung.

“I’m an impostor,” I smirked. “Your beloved Sungmin’s with my men.”

“In fact, I helped,” Kyu added with a smirk of his own. Oh, how I’ve missed that smirk of his.

Heechul hyung was actually dense enough to buy it, apparently, as he replied, “What?!”

I rolled my eyes. “You heard me. Go away and wait for me to give you further instructions on how to save him,” I demanded. Heechul hyung nodded and backed away, telling all the others to leave Kyu and me alone. Once the doors closed, I laughed out loud with Kyu.

“Those guys are really our friends?” Kyu asked between laughs. I abruptly stopped laughing when he used the word ‘our’. He accepts me. He really does. He isn’t trying to deny anything anymore, and that was enough for now.

“I can’t believe it either,” I said with a chuckle. Heechul hyung suddenly burst back into my room, shocking me for a moment. He glared at both Kyu and me, and I could only roll my eyes at him once more. “You figured it out, hyung?”

Heechul hyung snorted at me. “I never bought it in the first place,” he lied. “Welcome back!”

The others slowly came back in, all glaring at Heechul hyung. I could pretty much guess what they were thinking, because Heechul hyung obviously fell for our stupid prank. It still felt nice to prank someone with Kyu though. I’d always loved doing that.

“Heechul, you’re an idiot,” Yesung hyung said. I nodded in agreement, and Yesung hyung smiled at me. Ryeowook, trailing behind him sadly, looked at me in surprise before running over to my bed.

“Sungmin hyung, you’re alright now? I’m sorry for shouting at you yesterday, but you kind of deserved it,” Ryeowook apologised sheepishly.

“I actually have to thank you for that. It made me realise that I shouldn’t give up,” I said. Kyu smiled at me, hesitantly but surely grabbing my hand. I smiled at him as well, feeling irrationally happy although we’ve held hands a million times before.

I’m confident that I’ll help Kyu remember. I’m sure of it.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Minnie's back to normal! Woohoo! :D

Things might get better from here, or they may not. Who knows? :P

Well, I managed to get this chapter out in two days of slacking and typing whenever I felt like it, so I hope you guys enjoyed it! ;)

Look forward to the next angsty-or-not chapter! x)

That's all from me now. Annyeong~! ^^

And unni, there's your cameo XD