Childhood Friend

You're Mine

 

(A week later)

 

—Yesung’s POV—

It has been a week since the accident. Kyuhyun still hasn’t shown any signs of waking up and we could all see that Sungmin was devastated. When Kyuhyun got into an accident previously, it took him around a week to wake up. But this time, the doctors said that they couldn’t be sure when Kyuhyun would wake up. It could even take years, according to them. But they had also said that it could take days. We would never know.

Another reason for Sungmin being devastated was his guilt. He kept blaming himself for not watching out for cars. On another hand, Wookie was still blaming himself for the accident. The rest of us didn’t even know what to do.

This girl, Seo Joohyun otherwise known as Seohyun, appeared and said that she was Kyuhyun’s childhood friend. That seemed true enough, although we’d never seen her before. Kyuhyun’s parents knew her well, so we had to believe her. She, with Sungmin, had been staying vigil by Kyuhyun’s bedside after school daily. She never told us where she studied; only that she lived nearby.

Wookie and Leeteuk didn’t continue composing after the accident. The entire plan to perform for the school concert was at a standstill. The concert was supposed to be held after our mid-year exams, another three months or so away. But what was the use of composing a song for three people when we weren’t even sure if Kyuhyun was going to be fine by then?

For the entire week, we didn’t have any mood to do anything. All of us were feeling upset about the fact that Kyuhyun was in a coma. What was worse was that Sungmin didn’t even want to eat or drink. He just went to school looking like a zombie, and then right after school he would rush over to the hospital. This routine had been going on for the whole week and we could see that Min wouldn’t be able to keep this up.

It was a Saturday, so we were intending to spend the entire day at the hospital. It wasn’t as if more people would make Kyuhyun wake up any sooner, we knew that. We just wanted to be there for Sungmin and Kyuhyun, especially if Kyuhyun woke up.

Wookie had gotten up bright and early to make some porridge for Sungmin, knowing that the idiot wouldn’t feed himself. Sungmin looked like he was starving or anorexic – or both, maybe. It was as if Sungmin didn’t want to live anymore even though Kyuhyun was still alive. I guess that after some time, reality began to set in and Sungmin realised that Kyuhyun was really in a coma this time.

After Wookie finished making his porridge, we changed and left. It wasn’t even 10am yet and I usually wouldn’t have been awake at this time on a Saturday. But I guess that we had no choice. Two of our friends were in a crisis now and we couldn’t just abandon them.

By the time we arrived at the hospital, the only ones who weren’t there were Shindong, Zhoumi and Henry. It wasn’t their fault that they lived slightly further away from town. It was actually already pretty great that they made the time to go to the hospital daily, only going home after dinner with the rest of us.

We entered Kyuhyun’s ward and saw everyone in there. Seohyun was there too, and she waved at us with a small smile. Wookie forced a smile but it was so obvious that it wasn’t real. It didn’t reach his eyes, not even close.

We found a spot on the floor and sat down. Wookie handed the container of porridge to Seohyun who placed it on the table. Sungmin didn’t even pay any attention to us. It was like his soul wasn’t with us anymore.

We sat in silence for about an hour. It was the most that we could all handle. I got up and Wookie did too. The two of us decided to go out for a breather. I don’t even understand how on earth Sungmin can stand staying in that room for the entire day. Eunhyuk and Donghae followed us, along with Siwon and Kibum.

We walked to the hospital garden and found an empty bench, sitting down and sighing in unison. We really didn’t enjoy seeing Sungmin suffer like that. I could only imagine how upset Donghae and Eunhyuk were. They had known Sungmin the longest and were the closest to him out of all of us.

“How are we going to help Sungmin hyung?” Kibum asked, sounding helpless. We all shook our heads, not having any ideas. The only way to really get Sungmin back to his normal self was for Kyuhyun to wake up. We could only wait for that to happen. Even pumpkin pie, which Wookie made two days ago, failed to get Sungmin’s attention.

“If only Sooyoung didn’t want to take revenge…” Wookie mumbled.

“Shut up.”

We turned to look at Eunhyuk in surprise.

“Ryeowook, we’ve told you time and again to stop blaming yourself. Everything will be fine. Just look at Hae and I. That didn’t manage to break us up eventually, did she?” Eunhyuk said pointedly. Wookie bit his lower lip and sighed, nodding reluctantly. He couldn’t exactly deny the fact.

“So stop it. Stop blaming yourself because everything will work out in the end.”

 

----------------------

 

We returned to the hospital ward after Eunhyuk scolded Wookie for blaming himself. He really had to realise that all this wasn’t his fault. So many of us had told him that it had nothing to do with him, but after some time Wookie just seemed to forget that fact.

We trudged into the hospital ward tiredly, noticing that nobody was in the room except for Seohyun. When we asked her where the others went, she told us that Sungmin had fainted. All of us were just a little surprised, because we knew that it was going to happen eventually. He hadn’t eaten, barely drank. He was bound to faint and it finally happened.

We sighed and sat down on the floor, watching Kyuhyun for any movement. I messaged Leeteuk, asking him about Sungmin. How long would it take for Kyuhyun to be fine? Sungmin might end up doing something even worse than starving himself if Kyuhyun doesn’t wake up soon.

I went to sit by Kyuhyun’s bedside and looked at the pale male lying on the bed. We had only known him for three short months and already he was such an important part of our little group, just like Henry, Siwon, Kibum and Wookie. What would happen if he never woke up?

“Kyuhyun-ah,” I said softly. “Wake up. Come on. Min’s malnourished and all of us can’t focus on anything. Can’t you wake up for our sakes? For Min?”

Although Kyuhyun had been just as snarky as Heechul, maybe worse, and he’s just as evil as Heechul, I knew that he cared. He cared about every single one of us in this small group. That’s why he even bothered to get the truth out of Hyoyeon that time. Despite his Starcraft obsession, it wasn’t as if he didn’t care about us. He did, and we cared about him too. That’s why all of us visited him almost daily ever since the accident and we would do so till he wakes up.

“Yesung hyung…” Kibum said, sounding upset. “You know Kyuhyun would wake up for us. But the fact is that he can’t. He doesn’t have much of a choice,” Kibum told me.

I turned to look at Kibum and nodded sadly. It wasn’t as if I didn’t know that already. It couldn’t hurt to hope a little, could it?

I sighed and went to sit beside Wookie again. Wookie had started to sniffle and I knew he was going to cry. I didn’t mean to make him cry, but it was the first time that Sungmin wasn’t in the room with Kyuhyun and I just had to say something to Kyuhyun. I looked at Seohyun and I could see that she was tearing up as well. Kyuhyun must have been a really close friend of hers too.

“Kyuhyun’s a good person. God will make sure that nothing happens to him,” Siwon said. I turned to see him praying. Donghae was praying as well, but to his late father. He asked his father to look over Kyuhyun and Sungmin.

“Oppas,” Seohyun called out, getting our attention.

“Ne?” Eunhyuk asked.

“Kyu oppa will be fine. Don’t worry about it,” she assured us with a smile. It sounded as if she was trying to convince herself too, since she and Kyuhyun were childhood friends. I can’t imagine how she felt when she was informed of Kyuhyun’s condition. It would have been just as bad as Sungmin’s pain, maybe even worse. I remember how hard she cried when she first saw Kyuhyun lying on the bed, completely and utterly still.

She did seem pretty optimistic though. I didn’t know how she managed to have such a positive view on everything. I did admire her for it though, since none of us were able to be as positive as she was. She was the one who would tell us that everything would be alright whenever we felt that it wasn’t.

“I hope so,” Wookie said in a whisper. Surprisingly enough, Wookie didn’t cry. It wasn’t like I wanted him to cry, but he had been crying almost daily since the accident. It was just a little weird that he didn’t cry this time.

Donghae stood up and looked at us. “Want to see how Min’s doing? I don’t think he’s awake yet but it doesn’t hurt to look. And we could stop by the canteen on the way,” Donghae suggested.

I looked at Wookie and nodded right away. My poor boyfriend had been eating less than usual, claiming that he didn’t have an appetite. It was his way of dealing with guilt, just like crying. It had only been a week and Wookie already looked thinner than before.

The four of us left the room, leaving Seohyun, Siwon and Kibum in the room to watch over Kyuhyun.

 

---------------------

 

After we went to see how Sungmin was doing, we went to pick up some food for everyone. Sungmin was still unconscious and he was put on a drip because he was quite literally starving. We returned to his room with the food that the others told us to get for them and decided to stay with Kyuhyun. After all, we couldn’t just leave Siwon and Kibum like that.

We made our way back to Kyuhyun’s room and saw that Siwon and Kibum were talking about some acting stuff. Seohyun was exhausted and that much was really obvious. We handed a packet of bibimbab to the three of them to eat and they all accepted it gratefully, already opening their own packets. We did the same and ate while sitting on the floor.

Halfway through eating, Donghae struck up a conversation with Seohyun about how she met Kyuhyun. We never did ask her about it, since we were all worried about Sungmin and Kyuhyun. She smiled fondly as she reminisced her first meeting with Kyuhyun. Apparently they had been known each other since they were born. Kyuhyun and her parents were good friends and business partners and had wanted their children to be good friends as well.

She finished her story by making us laugh, telling us about how Kyuhyun had fallen flat on his face the first time she met him. We hadn’t laughed in some time. She then moved on to tell us about how they attended preschool together, and how Kyuhyun had been such a dork back then. We could almost imagine how things were just from her description.

We finished our food and the storytelling ended abruptly. But it wasn’t because we had finished eating. It was because Kyuhyun’s fingers twitched and we all gasped. Eunhyuk went to get the doctor while we called Leeteuk instantly.

Apparently, Sungmin had woken up already. They were all rushing over at the moment. Seohyun held Kyuhyun’s hand tightly and waited nervously for him to open his eyes. When he finally did, she began to cry. Kyuhyun gave her a weak smile.

“Joohyun,” he called out. “What happened?”

Seohyun went on to tell him about the accident and Kyuhyun frowned, finally realised our presence in the room. It was also the same time that Sungmin burst into the room with his IV drip, looking as horrible as when he was unconscious.

“Kyu,” Sungmin said emotionally, already choking up with tears. Kyuhyun didn’t reply.

“Joohyun, who are they?”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I didn't mean to make this happen! Blame my cousin! *pushes my cousin in front of me and hides behind her*

I guess you know what happened to Kyu. He isn't alright... He did wake up earlier than intended ._. I guess I didn't wanna drag it too long *shrugs*

I hope you guys enjoy this and please look forward to the next chapter! Hopefuly things will get better ><

That's all from me! Annyeong~! ^^