Regret

You're Mine

 

(A few days later)

 

—Ryeowook’s POV—

“Wookie-yah,” someone called and shook me lightly. This isn’t Youngwoon hyung…

“UMMA!” I exclaimed, jumping out of bed and giving my umma a hug. I haven’t seen her since two months ago and bloody hell, I missed her so much.

“Wookie, if you love your umma so much, you should get off me and not choke me, right?” umma joked. I chuckled and nodded, breaking the hug and kissing her on the cheek.

“Umma, when did you get back? Where’s appa? Did you guys buy souvenirs from Texas?” I shot a few questions at umma. I don’t even understand why they went to Texas for so long this time. Didn’t they have to work?

“I got back just a few minutes ago. Your appa is outside, talking to your hyung. Yes, we bought souvenirs,” umma replied to my questions all at once.

“But umma, why’d you go overseas for two months this time?” I asked curiously.

“Wookie, your appa has started taking on bigger projects that require us to go overseas for longer periods of time, so we won’t be home so often next time, arasso? Are you ok with that?” umma asked worriedly. She’s always treated me as her baby who’d never grow up since I was the younger of her kids. I smiled at her and nodded.

“I’ll be fine, umma. Besides, I have new friends now,” I told her proudly.

“Ah, about that, I heard from Youngwoon that you have a boyfriend now? And he happens to be our next-door neighbour?” umma questioned. I nodded and watched her reaction, afraid that she’d get angry at me. Instead, she started squealing and hugging me.

“My baby is all grown up now!” she exclaimed, sniffling as she did so. Is umma crying? “Is he a nice boy? Does he treat you badly?” umma asked immediately. I laughed at her mood swings.

“Yes, he’s a nice boy and he treats me like a gem. Don’t worry umma, I won’t find somebody who isn’t worthy of my love,” I assured her. Umma nodded.

“You do know that it’s only 4am right now, right? Go back to sleep and umma will wake you up again later,” she told me. I shook my head.

“I can’t. Let’s go see what you bought,” I said her and pulled her out into the living room. Appa saw me and stood up. I hugged him and just stayed there in his warm embrace. I miss my parents. I didn’t even realise how much I’ve missed them till now.

We sat down and the two of them began telling us about what they’ve done in Texas. Apparently they’ve ridden bulls, gone to saloons, and even seen condors! Whoa~!

“Enough about us. Youngwoon, how have you and Jungsu been?” umma asked. I still remember their fight on Monday, but I’m not too sure if I should tell.

Youngwoon hyung gulped. He knows that umma would fry him if he said that he’d made Teukie umma cry. She has a good feeling about Teukie umma, that’s what she claims.

“We’ve been doing fine. Teukie hasn’t had any complaints about me as of yet,” Youngwoon hyung lied and grinned. I sighed and mentally face-palmed myself. Youngwoon hyung, don’t blame me for leaking your secret. You had your chance to tell umma.

“Umma, they fought on Monday! Hyung punched one of Teukie umma’s best friends and caused Teukie umma to cry,” I said quickly and ran to hide behind umma. Youngwoon hyung was glaring at me, but he was stopped by umma.

“Is what Wookie said true? And Wookie, why do you call Jungsu ‘Teukie umma’?” umma turned to look at me questionably. I laughed nervously and scratched the back of my head sheepishly.

“It’s a funny story. He wanted me to,” I admitted. Umma doesn’t like me to call others my appa or umma, but since she likes Teukie umma, anything is possible.

“Fine. And Youngwoon, what’s your explanation?” umma asked again.

“He isn’t lying but I had a reason!” Youngwoon hyung exclaimed, face-palming himself right after the words came out of his mouth. How was he supposed to explain that he doesn’t enjoy others talking about his boyfriend’s figure? Good job hyung, you’ve just shot yourself in the head.

“And what is your reason?” umma asked, raising a brow.

“Um, about that… I didn’t have a reason after all. Haha. Isn’t that funny?” hyung laughed awkwardly. Appa sighed, looking like he wanted to knock Youngwoon hyung on the head. Oh hyung, you retard. How could you have said something like that?

“I’ll just call Jungsu later. Ok, souvenir time!” umma exclaimed, pulling a bag from beside her luggage. She slowly took out packets of food – burritos, wraps, and a packet of frozen drumsticks. Next, she took out… are those cowboy hats? Oh hell no.

“Photo time!” umma magically made her camera appear in her hand and threw a hat to each of us. Appa mouthed that we should just go along with umma’s antics. I understood why. If we don’t, we’ll never live to see the light of day ever again.

For the next hour, umma took out random costumes from Texas and dressed us up in them, taking at least a hundred photos and posting them online instantly. I’ll die of embarrassment when I go to school later.

 

----------------------------------------

 

“Bye Ryeowook-ah, Youngwoon-ah! We’ll see you again after school arasso?” umma asked. The two of us turned back and nodded, waving to our parents before we went to find Sungie hyung and Jongjin. Well, I went to find them while Youngwoon hyung went to the bus stop.

The door opened and Sungie hyung stepped out with Jongjin. Jongjin still seems startled whenever I meet Sungie hyung in the morning. I wonder why. I’ve been doing this for the past four days already.

Sungie hyung wrapped an arm around my shoulder and kissed my forehead, causing Jongjin to make gagging sounds. I just laughed at his reaction and shook my head, pressing the lift button and waiting for the lift to stop at our level.

We met Youngwoon hyung at the bus stop and went to school together, meeting HanChul and Sungmin hyung on the way. Did I mention that Kyuhyun seems to stick to Sungmin hyung more often now? Sungmin hyung looks a lot happier since then.

“Sungie, I’ll just go over to talk to Min hyung arasso?” I asked. He told me to drop all the formalities when talking to him, but I can’t help adding ‘hyung’ whenever I’m thinking. Well, I hadn’t really tried much. Maybe I should try from now on.

Sungie nodded and smiled at me, ruffling my hair as I stood up and walked off. Ugh, it sounds weird.

“Min hyung~,” I called. The bunny hyung was listening to music and couldn’t really hear me, so I poked his arm lightly to get his attention. Sungmin hyung turned to look at me and smiled, taking one earpiece off and greeting me.

“Good morning too! Sungmin hyung, do you really like Kyuhyun that much?” I asked, right to the point. Once I mentioned Kyuhyun, Sungmin hyung’s expression softened and he nodded while in a trance. Sungie was right about him being lovesick.

“Yeah. I know that he plays Starcraft way too much for his own good, and he can be such an idiot at times, but I’ve been attracted to him since I saw him,” hyung said dreamily. I rolled my eyes.

“Hyung, it’s only been two weeks. How can you be so sure?” I questioned.

Sungmin hyung sighed and clucked his tongue, as if I was very ignorant.

“Ryeowook, Ryeowook, Ryeowook. I think of Kyuhyun everyday, no matter what I’m doing. If I’m eating, I’ll wonder whether that stupid Kyu is eating well. Right now, I’m thinking about how he gets to school. Do his parents drive him or does he have a chauffeur or does he take public transport?” Sungmin hyung told me. I just nodded blankly, not having absorbed what he said.

“Ne, hyung. But how do you know that Kyuhyun feels the same for you? I mean just cause he sticks to you…” I trailed off, sure that Sungmin hyung knows what I mean. I’m not trying to break them up or anything. I want to make sure that the two of them don’t make a mistake. I know I did, with Sooyoung.

“For one, he actually listens to me. He doesn’t listen to others now does he? And he hasn’t tried pranking me or anything, and he stops playing Starcraft when I ask him to,” Sungmin hyung beamed. It takes more than that to ascertain whether or not you really feel love, hyung.

“That isn’t enough, hyung. He has to know how to sacrifice. Don’t end up giving your love to the wrong guy ok?” I advised. Sungmin hyung waved my warning off and I just smiled at him. I like Sungmin hyung – as a hyung, I mean. I don’t want to see him get hurt.

I went back to my seat beside Sungie and he greeted me with a small peck on the cheek.

“What’d you tell Min?” Sungie asked. I shrugged.

“I asked him if he really loves Kyuhyun, cause I don’t want him to get hurt. Sungmin hyung is one of the hyungs in our group that I really like,” I told him. “Besides you.”

“Arasso. Oh, we’re here,” Sungie pointed to school and I groaned. The past five days have been hell since we’ve begun lessons. Everyday is the same old routine and I’m sick of it.

The seven of us got off the bus and Kyuhyun was waiting for us across the road. He waved to us and we waved back. For some reason, Sungmin hyung was a little too hyper today. And by that, I meant that he was utterly reckless.

He dashed across the road without even looking out for the cars. When we shouted to him, saying that there was a car coming for him, he stopped dead in his tracks. He turned towards the direction of the car and I saw his entire frame shaking.

Everything happened in seconds.

Kyuhyun shouted out Sungmin hyung’s name and ran to the latter, pushing him away and getting hit in the process. Oh no. Why did I have to hit the needle on the head with what I said? Why?!

I hate myself so much right now. ‘He has to know how to sacrifice’? What the was I thinking?! And why the hell did my words become reality?!

The driver of the car got off and we ran towards KyuMin. Sungmin hyung was cradling Kyuhyun’s head in his lap and he was crying, calling himself a babo. Hyung, it’s my fault. This is all my fault.

I started crying too, and I kept apologising to both Kyuhyun and Sungmin hyung. Heechul hyung was frantically calling for an ambulance while Sungie held my body to steady me. There’s blood all over the place, pooling around Kyuhyun and Sungmin hyung.

Jongjin was freaked out and he nearly fainted, but Hankyung hyung managed to snap him back to reality. He went into school with Youngwoon hyung and Hankyung hyung. Jongjin isn’t a part of our clique and he doesn’t need this to interfere with his studies.

Soon, the rest of the gang joined us and the ambulance arrived. Naturally, Sungmin hyung rode in the ambulance with Kyuhyun. The rest of us took Siwon, Donghae and Kibum’s cars.

Please be alright, Kyuhyun. I am so, so sorry for saying that to Sungmin hyung. I’ll do anything, but don’t ever die on us. Why was I so damned stupid? Why did I pretend to be some love counsellor or something? I shouldn’t be meddling in others’ affairs!

Sungie hyung kept shushing me throughout the ride to the hospital. I’m sure he’s scared as hell too, but he still has to worry about me. What’s wrong with me? Why do I keep causing the people around me to get hurt?

I’m sorry, guys. If only I weren’t so jinxed…

“It’ll be alright, Wookie. Kyuhyun will pull through. He has yet to hear Min’s true feelings,” Sungie whispered and pressed his lips onto my crown. I don’t even know who he’s trying to convince; me, or himself?

 

-----------------------------------------

 

We arrived at the Seoul General Hospital in less than twenty minutes and Kyuhyun was wheeled into the emergency room immediately. The fourteen of us were in the waiting area, praying hard that Kyuhyun would be fine. Even Heechul hyung was praying, and that’s impressive.

Apparently Kyuhyun’s parents had already been informed and were on their way as of now. Sungmin hyung and Teukie umma couldn’t stop pacing, and my eyes were getting tired of following their movement. Sungmin hyung suddenly stopped and looked at me.

“Kim Ryeowook,” he growled, beckoning for me to go over. Sungie had wanted to stop him, but I signalled that it was ok. If Sungmin hyung wants to kill me, so be it. I deserve this retribution for saying such things earlier on.

Sungmin hyung grabbed me by the collar and held me up such that my back was pressed up against the wall. He was glowering at me and the others were all looking at me in worry. I smiled lightly at them and shook my head. They should focus on praying for Kyuhyun.

“What is wrong with you?! Why did you ask me all that on the bus?! Were you hoping that this would happen, huh? WERE YOU?!” Sungmin hyung screamed.

“I really didn’t expect this to happen, hyung. I’m sorry, I really am,” I started to sob and Sungmin hyung did too, his grip on my collar slowly loosening. I fell onto the ground and Sungmin hyung’s legs gave way, causing him to be on his knees.

I moved over to hug hyung and patted his back, crying with him and apologising profusely. I know that no matter how many times I say that I’m sorry, Kyuhyun will still be injured. The only thing that I can do right now is to pray for Kyuhyun and ensure that Sungmin hyung is alright.

When Kyuhyun’s parents arrived, one of the hyungs explained what happened. They saw the two of us on the floor, a crying mess. Mrs. Cho broke down too, and it was all the others could do to not cry.

Kyuhyun’s parents said that their son had never made a bigger sacrifice in his life before, and that just made Sungmin hyung and I cry even harder. I’m glad that nobody disturbed us cause the both of us need to cry everything out.

A few hours later, when Sungmin hyung and I had finally stopped crying, the doctor stepped out of the operating room with a tired smile on his face. Kyuhyun was fine! He had a scar on his chest that probably would never fade, but he was alive. Oh thank god!

Sungmin hyung jumped up at the news and embraced me in a tight hug, starting to cry again. This time, he was crying tears of happiness. I patted his back softly and smiled to myself. Thank you so much for being alright, Kyuhyun.

“Can we see him?” Mr. Cho asked. He seemed quite calm since he came, but I could tell that he was really worried for his only son. Which father wouldn’t be?

The doctor nodded.

“He’s still unconscious, but you can go and see him. However, you can’t go into his room as he’s being put into the ICU. His accident was pretty serious and he’s still not out of danger. We’ll be observing him for the next few days to see if he can handle being moved into a normal ward,” the doctor informed us. At that, I could tell that Sungmin hyung wanted to break down again.

“Thank you, doctor. Uncle and Aunt, may I go and see Kyu with you guys? He only got into an accident because he wanted to protect me,” Sungmin hyung requested. Mrs. Cho smiled warmly at Sungmin hyung and nodded, and they left together.

“I’m so glad that Kyuhyun’s alive,” I said, heaving a sigh of relief. Sungie kissed my crown and I could feel him nod. After some time, we broke the hug and I realised that everyone had been staring at the two of us. Can’t a couple hug? Sheesh.

“Let’s go and tell the school what happened. Kyuhyun won’t be going back for some time. Ryeowook, can you help him get his homework? You’re in the same music and higher music class as him, right?” Teukie umma asked. I shrugged. I don’t know.

“You do remember that he’s supposed to attend his music lesson today for the first time and that both he and Kyuhyun skipped?” Shindong hyung asked incredulously. Teukie umma sighed.

“Right. I’ll call the school and ask. As for the rest of us, I can get Prince Manager hyung to cover for us but I don’t know how you’ll explain to your parents,” Teukie umma said.

“Whose parents mind you skipping school?” Heechul hyung asked. Siwon and Henry raised their hands, and the rest of us could only shake our heads. They are so innocent and obedient. I’ve skipped school multiple times and so has Youngwoon hyung. As for the others, they’ve been together long enough so they’re parents probably don’t mind. Besides, Teukie umma and Heechul hyung have been retained for three years.

“My appa will probably ground me,” Siwon said. Really? His dad will GROUND him? We’re in Korea, not America. Who the hell grounds their children in Korea? That is just plain weird man.

“My umma will be disappointed in me for skipping, but she won’t really do much,” Henry told us.

“We’ll help you explain. Let’s get back to school,” Hankyung hyung signalled for us to leave and we left the hospital after informing Sungmin hyung. He had told us that Kyuhyun was in bandages all over, and his leg and arm was casted. Poor guy. I shouldn’t have been such a smart aleck.

We piled into Siwon, Donghae hyung and Kibum’s cars, and we slowly drove back to school.

 

------------------------------------------

 

“What is the meaning of this? Why did you skip school? Do you have any idea how disappointed I am in you, Siwon?” Siwon’s dad asked sternly. The moment Siwon stepped out of his car, he was hit by a flying shoe that was presumably his father’s. After that, Mr. Choi had begun reprimanding his son about the importance of not playing truant.

“But appa,” Siwon started. His father cut him off.

“Are these friends the cause of your recent bad behaviour? How many times have I told you to behave properly and hang out with good company?” his father demanded. I saw Siwon clench his fists and unclench them slowly.

“No, they aren’t. Appa, a good friend got into an accident and we had to help him. He’s still in the hospital now, fighting for his life,” Siwon told his dad, sounding somewhat impatient.

Heechul hyung suddenly stepped in between the father and son.

“For god’s sake, it isn’t a sin to skip school. He didn’t lie, either. No matter what I say about being an atheist, I know that Christians aren’t supposed to lie. Siwon is not lying,” Heechul hyung insisted. We all nodded in agreement, knowing that the two were speaking the truth.

“You will not get in my way of disciplining my son, sissy,” Mr. Choi said and shoved Heechul hyung out of the way. Uh… oh.

Heechul hyung flipped his hair in a diva way and fanned himself. His face was steadily turning red from anger and he took slow steps towards Mr. Choi.

“You did NOT call me a sissy, you tard. I swear, nobody calls Kim Heechul a sissy and gets away with it,” Heechul hyung swore and slapped Mr. Choi right on the cheek. Everyone sighed and Teukie umma took his phone out, probably calling for help.

“Did you hit me? You uncivilised barbarian,” Mr. Choi said and punched Heechul hyung. Oh bloody hell, you didn’t just do that. Yup, you’re going to get a hell of a beating from Hankyung hyung.

“Did you slap him? Oh you…” Hankyung hyung walked up and stood in front of Heechul hyung, punching Mr. Choi back in return. The two of them began a fistfight and Heechul hyung cheered Hankyung hyung on from behind his back.

“Siwon’s father punched Heechul?” Teukie umma asked as he hung up. We nodded and pointed at Heechul hyung’s bruised cheek. Teukie umma clucked his tongue and shook his head.

“And he calls Heechul a barbarian. Prince Manager hyung is coming and he’ll stop this,” Teukie umma informed us. “For now, we’ll head to the cafeteria. Come on.”

We all went to the cafeteria and sat down. Everybody turned to face me.

“Ryeowook, what’d you say that made Min hyung so angry?” Eunhyuk hyung asked. I laughed awkwardly and scratched the back of my head sheepishly.

“About that, I kind of told him not to give his love to the wrong person and that Kyuhyun has to know how to sacrifice. I guess I hit the nail on the head about that,” I admitted.

“No wonder Min hyung was so pissed off,” Donghae said in understanding.

“Why’d you suddenly talk to him about that, anyway?” Kibum asked. I looked at Kibum.

“Kibum-ah, do you know if you’re giving your love to the right person? Does he love you back?” I asked softly. Kibum immediately understood and turned away, a sad expression glued onto his face.

Prince Manager hyung suddenly came running into the cafeteria.

“Where are they? Siwon’s father punched Heechul after that stupid diva slapped him? And he still claimed that Heechul was uncivilised. Huh. I’ll drag those two back here,” he said and went out to find HanChul, Siwon, and his father.

“When Siwon told us that his dad owns a supermarket chain, I thought that meant he was civilised,” Youngwoon hyung sighed and shook his head. We all agreed on that. What kind of a CEO would punch someone for slapping him? That’s just stupid, especially since we’re in school.

We waited in the canteen for good news from hyung, and he came back while dragging Mr. Choi, barely minutes later. When I said dragging, I literally meant dragging. He was holding Mr. Choi by the collar and just pulling the man in.

“Apologise to everyone. Now.” Prince Manager hyung ordered. I wonder if he’ll get in trouble for doing this to a student’s dad. Huh.

Mr. Choi shook his head, twisting his body so that Prince Manager hyung was forced to let go of his collar. He adjusted his clothing so that he looked as if he hadn’t gotten into any sort of fight at all. Then he looked at all of us.

“You’ll hear from my lawyer, Mr. Kim. Mark my word. Siwon, I’ll transfer you out of this school. Not only are the students barbaric; the teachers are too! I’m leaving,” Mr. Choi announced and left.

The moment Mr. Choi was out of earshot, we looked at Siwon.

“What will you do about this, hyung?” Kibum asked sadly. Siwon sighed.

“I don’t want to disobey appa, but I will have to this time. There is only one person who is able to control appa. Umma,” Siwon said firmly. “I’ll seek her help later on. Mr. Kim, can you help me to ensure that the school doesn’t approve of me transferring. And I’m sorry for getting you into this mess. Hankyung hyung and Heechul hyung, I’m sorry too,” Siwon apologised.

“What’s with this attitude? We’re all in the clique together and you can say that Junghoon hyung is our ‘CEO’. Don’t worry, the school won’t do anything to hyung, and they sure as hell won’t allow students to transfer,” Heechul hyung assured Siwon.

“Well I’ll head home now. Guys, call me if anything crops up ok? And Siwon, I don’t mean to be rude, but your dad is one ed up bastard. No offence to you, but I was just saying. Wookie, let’s go,” Sungie said. We bid everyone goodbye and took our usual bus back home.

 

--------------------------------------

 

Sungie leaned against me while we sat down on the benches at the bus stop, waiting for our bus to arrive. I spotted a group of nine heading over, a very certain figure standing out.

“Ryeowook oppa? Hi!” Sooyoung waved to me while grinning. The rest of her group scoffed at Sungie and I, and I just sighed, waving back to Sooyoung.

“What’s up? I heard your ex is together with this weirdo,” one of them said.

“Seohyun, mind your own business. Ryeowook oppa, is it true?” Sooyoung asked. I smiled lightly and nodded at her. Anger flickered over her face for a moment before she nodded.

“I’ll be seeing you again then. Let’s go,” she told her group. She sounded different, a hidden danger underlying in her tone. I shivered and watched as their figures disappeared into the far distance.

Sungie nudged me, snapping me out of my trance.

“Wookie, the bus is here. Let’s go,” he told me and held my hand, pulling me up the bus.

I was in a daze for the rest of the day. What was with Sooyoung? She never used to be like this. When she said ‘I’ll be seeing you again then’, I felt as if there would be a purpose for seeing us again. It wouldn’t be just coincidental next time.

Sooyoung, what’s gotten into you?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

This chapter was kinda random and I feel so sorry for Kyu here... :( He got hurt for nothing and I don't even understand why Wookie was trying to be a love advisor.

Anyways, I hope you enjoyed this and the next chappie will focus more on YeWook and Sooyoung ^^

I was gonna post this on Sat but AFF was down and I didn't have internet connection yst... ><

Yup, so look forward to the next chapter! Annyeong! ^^