The Hospital

You're Mine

 

(Continued)

 

—Yesung’s POV—

I sat in the car that was packed, since there were six of us in the car that was meant to hold five people. Everyone was nervous about how Donghae would react to the news, even Kyuhyun.

“Hey guys, do you think that Donghae will take it well?” Hankyung asked. I looked at the others who reluctantly shook their heads and sighed, rubbing my temples tiredly. Both Hyuk and Hae have been through so much these past days, and even if Donghae takes it well, their relationship is bound to have some changes.

“Don’t be so disheartened. I’m sure the others will find a way to break it to him nicely,” Henry tried to assure us. He looked just as tense as the rest of us, but I flashed a small smile at him as I nodded. The others would find some way to make the news more bearable for Hae, wouldn’t they? Heechul loves Donghae like a little brother, and he would never intentionally hurt him. The rest of them wouldn’t hurt anyone, much less a good friend.

Would Wookie keep blaming himself again? He may claim that he doesn’t blame himself for everything that’s happened, but I know that deep inside, he still hates himself for everything. I sighed and stared at Donghae’s house, trying desperately not to think of my boyfriend beating himself up about the situation.

My eyes lit up as I saw Wookie exit the building, but I frowned when I saw his expression. Wookie was worried and I saw tear stains on his cheeks. Wookie cried. No, wait. He’s still crying.

I watched Wookie run to the car that we were in and he threw the door open. All of us looked at him expectantly. Well, I was also worried about why he was crying, but I guess he would explain that to me soon enough.

Wookie hiccupped as he explained how Hae reacted. As he spoke, my eyes widened and I looked over his head to see Zhoumi carrying Donghae to Kibum’s car. Kibum slid into the driver’s seat and quickly started the car. Siwon ran back to his own car. Kyuhyun and Henry got out of Hankyung’s car as well, heading to Siwon and Kibum’s cars respectively.

“Wookie, get in,” I said softly. Wookie nodded and climbed into the car. I wrapped an arm around his shoulder and pulled him closer to me. Heechul got into the front seat and ordered Hankyung to follow Kibum to the hospital.

I noticed how suspiciously quiet Heechul was being and when I heard a sob from him, I froze. Kim Heechul was crying? I mean Wookie crying is one thing, because Wookie is fragile like that, but Heechul had never been the type to cry.

“What really happened?” I asked Wookie. He had calmed down and was leaning against me wearily. He turned his head to look at me and sighed. Suddenly, Shindong and Hankyung turned their attention to Wookie as well. Of course Hankyung had to pay attention to the road, but I could see that he would listen intently to whatever Wookie had to say.

“We let Donghae hyung listen to the recording and he said that Eunhyuk hyung was a . Then he just fainted. We were so shocked that we stayed there for a few minutes but we got back to our senses and I was the first to react,” Wookie explained.

I saw Heechul tense and let out an exasperated sigh. “Let me guess. Heechul was the one who let Hae listen to the recording?” I questioned knowingly. Wookie nodded and I rolled my eyes. Donghae would probably have fainted when he found out the truth either way, but Heechul could have tried to be calmer and waited a while more before playing the recording.

We arrived at the hospital almost a half hour later. The nearest hospital to Donghae’s house was an hour away, but we sped so we made it to the hospital faster than expected. We hurried off the car and the three drivers went to park. The rest of us registered for Donghae and a doctor came to see him in a few minutes.

Donghae was brought into a ward and the doctor asked us what happened. We all looked apprehensively at each other and Sungmin decided to explain. He told the doctor about the previous happenings, our assumption that Donghae had selective amnesia, and what caused him to faint. The doctor thanked us and walked into the room to check on Donghae, telling us to wait for a moment.

The atmosphere was tense. None of us said anything, all too worried to speak to each other. Wookie did bury his face in my chest and I swear, he was sobbing. I had to find a way to calm him down without the others knowing, because this would only add on to their worry.

Sadly for me, my attempt to soothe Wookie did not go unseen by Henry and he kept his eyes on us. “What happened?” Henry asked. I stiffened as ten pairs of eyes, including those of Hankyung, Siwon and Kibum, landed on us and Wookie’s trembling figure.

“He’s just upset about everything. Don’t worry,” I assured them. They nodded, but only Kibum, Henry, Sungmin and Leeteuk had the courtesy to avert their gaze from Wookie. The other six still kept their eyes on him and I sighed. “Stop staring already.”

We stayed in silence for another few minutes. Wookie had fallen asleep on my shoulder, too exhausted to stay awake. Heechul and Sungmin had also fallen asleep, on Hankyung and Kyuhyun’s shoulders respectively. I could see that Henry was fighting his weariness, but it wasn’t going well.

I jumped up when the doctor exited Donghae’s ward with a small reassuring smile on his face. I momentarily forgot about Wookie and he jolted awake, rubbing his eyes and pouting at me cutely. I merely flashed my boyfriend an apologetic smile and turned back to the doctor. Wookie got on his feet and stood beside me, as did everyone else, and waited for the doctor to speak.

“Donghae-sshi is still unconscious as of now, but I will run some brain scans later on to see if there has been any brain damage due to the shock. From what you told me, he most likely had selective amnesia. You guys may see him, but he probably won’t wake up till a few hours later,” the doctor told us. “By the way, my name is Shin Hyesung. You can just call me Dr. Shin.”

We thanked him and he left, saying that he had to attend to another patient. We went into Donghae’s ward and found places around the room. I was staring at Donghae when I felt something land on my shoulder, and I turned to see Wookie dozing off again.

I smiled in spite of the situation and shifted so that he was more comfortable. “I’ll wake you up when Hae wakes up,” I whispered. Wookie nodded and yawned silently, and I wrapped an arm around his shoulder as he let the weariness take over him.

 

-------------------------

 

I had fallen asleep while waiting for Donghae to wake up. Heck, everybody had fallen asleep. We probably couldn’t handle this kind of problems, not for any longer. I heard somebody mumbling to himself. It sounded strangely like Donghae, so I cracked an eyelid open. The first thing I did was to check the time on the digital clock on the wall. 8.48pm. WHAT?!

I tried not to make any noises as I strained to hear what Donghae was saying.

“Hyukkie… Why?” Hae muttered. I could hear sniffling and guessed that Donghae was crying. I looked around the room and saw that everybody was still sleeping. I resisted the urge to comfort Donghae and settled for listening to him longer.

“Did you really have with Hyo? Everyone says so, but I want to hear it from you. Will I forget what happens when I meet you again? I don’t know if I should forgive you, Hyukkie…” Donghae sobbed. I heard someone groan and shut my eyes tightly. Donghae also stopped mumbling to himself, and he even managed to stop himself from sobbing and sniffling.

“Huh. He isn’t awake yet. What’s the time…? Oh dammit. Guys, wake up!” Heechul exclaimed, walking around to wake all of us up. I pretended to be asleep and swatted Heechul’s hand away as he shook me awake. When he refused to stop, I glared at him.

“What?” I hissed, trying to make my act as believable as possible. He pointed at the clock and I widened my eyes in fake shock. I then woke Wookie up and thanked the heavens that Donghae didn’t know about me being awake earlier.

When all of us were awake, Heechul went to turn the lights on but I told him not to. I claimed that Donghae needed his rest, but the real reason was that I didn’t want the rest to find out that Donghae had woken up. They would bombard him with questions and I know that he would be stressed out.

Thankfully, Heechul agreed with me and all of us went out of the room. We decided on who should stay behind and wait for Donghae to wake up, and Wookie immediately volunteered. Sungmin and Zhoumi did too, but Wookie managed to reason that he felt terrible because, after all, it was partly his fault. The others didn’t know that Sooyoung was getting back at Wookie, but he looked guilty and they just let him stay behind.

I heaved a sigh of relief and told the others that I would stay with Wookie. They could eat dinner before buying something back for us. “He probably won’t be awake any time soon, so take your time,” I said. They reluctantly admitted that I was right and headed to the cafeteria, saying that they would be back in forty-five minutes.

Wookie and I walked back into Donghae’s ward, seeing that Donghae had yet to budge. I sighed and pulled a chair beside the bed. Wookie did the same, and I eyed Donghae. His acting was good, I had to admit that. He didn’t show any signs of crying, but of course I knew that he had.

“Hae, I know you’re awake,” I said. Wookie gasped and turned to me.

“Really?” he asked in disbelief. I nodded and looked at Donghae. He refused to move and show any signs of being awake. I knew that Donghae could be stubborn, so I tried again.

“Donghae, I heard you talk. I heard you cry. Nobody’s here except for Wookie and me, I swear. You didn’t do a very good job of wiping your tears away. Now, talk to us please?” I asked. It took a minute or two for Donghae to hesitantly open his eyes and scan the room. He sighed in relief when he saw that I told him the truth. He sat up and looked at us.

“Hyung, are you alright?” Wookie asked worriedly. Donghae bit his lip and shook his head.

“I remember everything now. I know what happened on Saturday. I’m only scared that I’ll forget again if I see Hyukkie. I don’t want to forget. I miss Hyukkie,” Donghae admitted, starting to cry again. Wookie drew Donghae into a hug and let Donghae cry on his shoulder. Expectedly, Wookie began to cry too, and he started apologising to Donghae.

“But it isn’t your fault,” Donghae whispered. Wookie seemed reluctant to reveal the truth, but he did anyway. He told Donghae about how it was Sooyoung who had set Hyoyeon up, and he begged Donghae to not blame Hyoyeon.

“Ryeowook, it isn’t your fault,” Donghae said, still sobbing lightly.

“It is! Sooyoung keeps trying to harm my friends because she hates me!” Wookie cried. My heart broke when I saw how vulnerable Wookie was, and I just wanted to comfort him and make him feel better. I couldn’t though, not when Donghae was hurt as well.

“Nobody except Sooyoung is at fault,” I stated. Donghae nodded fiercely in agreement, and Wookie only cried more. Now it seemed like Donghae was comforting Wookie, and not the other way round.

After what seemed like forever – but was in actual fact fifteen minutes – the two of them stopped crying. I mentally cheered when even their sniffling stopped.

“Hyung, Ryeowook, should I forgive Hyukkie?” Donghae asked us. Naturally, we nodded. “But it hurts so much, even if he didn’t mean it,” Donghae confessed, pulling his knees up to his chest and resting his chin atop his knees.

“Hae, you have no idea what Eunhyuk’s become. You should just come to school tomorrow and see how dead he is,” I told him, sighing deeply as I remembered Eunhyuk’s current condition. He had been that way since Saturday, after Donghae ran away, and it seemed to get worse by the day.

“He’s convinced that you’ll never forgive him,” Wookie added. Donghae widened his eyes in shock, completely taken back by Eunhyuk’s uncharacteristic behaviour. He overcame his shock almost instantly though.

“He did cry on Saturday. He must be so upset with himself,” Donghae said and pouted. Both Wookie and I nodded, not liking how Eunhyuk was constantly beating himself up instead of finding a way to fix the problem.

The sound of people talking could suddenly be heard and I whipped my head to look at the door. “Hae, pretend to be sleeping!” I ordered. Donghae nodded and quickly settled into his sleeping position. Moments later, the door opened and the entire gang walked in quietly.

“He’s still not awake?”

“Nope.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Ahahaha what is this ending? XD I don't even know what possessed me to end this chapter so abruptly, but I didn't know how to end it so here! :D

I managed to rush this out today, amazingly enough :) I was just pretty free today because I don't have to study for my test on Monday and I finished whatever I had to do yesterday X)

I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter~ Hae remembers! And well, it seems to me like Donghae implied that he would forgive Hyuk *grins*

Ok, I'll try to update next week but I'll see if I managed to update my other fic tomorrow. If I don't, then my priority will be that fic first :) Annyeong! ^-^