The beginning of camp

You're Mine

 

(A day later)

 

—Ryeowook’s POV—

Today is orientation camp! That means I’ll be spending three days and two nights with Jongwoon hyung. Hell yeah!

Yesterday evening, Youngwoon hyung helped me to pack my necessities. We were meeting Jongwoon hyung and Jongjin at 6.25am at the bus stop. The school bus was leaving at 8am so we had to be on time or else we’d be left behind.

I was woken up at around 5am by Youngwoon hyung. And although I’m embarrassed to admit it, I kind of dreamt that I was married to Jongwoon hyung. Hehehe.

“Yah Kim Ryeowook! You’ve been in the toilet for twenty minutes!” Youngwoon hyung shouted while banging on the toilet door. Truth be told, I finished washing up ten minutes ago. I was daydreaming about Jongwoon hyung.

“Sorry hyung!” I replied and made sure my hair looked presentable before I stepped out of the toilet. He seemed a little worried and pissed off at the same time. Wow.

“You should’ve been faster. Come and eat breakfast,” hyung told me and walked to the dining table. As usual, our parents were overseas. If my estimations are correct, they’re only home for a month or less every year.

Youngwoon hyung had made ham and cheese sandwiches. He also made hot chocolate for both of us and an apple was on each of our plates.

“You don’t want to get cold today. If I remember right, the camping area is always cold this time of the year. I’ve been there three times already,” Youngwoon hyung told me.

“Then how do we camp?” I asked curiously while chewing a bite of my sandwich.

“There are cabins there. Each class should have four cabins, five people to one cabin. Your facilitators will all be sharing one cabin. Teukie’s already prepared the rooming list,” Youngwoon hyung told me while eating his sandwich and sipping hot chocolate.

“Ah, I see. So it’s kind of random then?” I asked. Youngwoon hyung nodded.

“Teukie did the rooming by drawing lots. There should be quite a number of games, but I won’t let you in on them. Let’s just say that you’ll have an amazing race,” Youngwoon hyung smiled.

An amazing race? Teukie umma seems to have good planning. Either that or he’s just very experienced. I mean he has been in the school for five years.

“And how about dining times? Are we getting catered food or do we have to cook?”

Youngwoon hyung sighed.

“Ryeowook, if you keep asking all these questions, the camp won’t be fun anymore will it?” he asked me. I pouted and he just pinched my cheeks before continuing to eat.

After we finished our breakfast, it was around 6.15am. We both double-checked our things before we left for the bus stop. Just when we walked out of the house, I knocked into someone and we both fell on the wooden floor with a loud thud.

“Hyung!”

“Wookie!”

“Wait…” the person who I knocked into said. “Ryeowook?”

“Jongwoon hyung?” I asked. I sat up and looked at the person. Yup, it was Jongwoon hyung alright.

“I’m so sorry!” we both stood up and bowed to each other. “Yah!”

“If I didn’t know better, I’d think you two were dating,” Youngwoon hyung teased. I blushed and hid my face, turning around to pick my sleeping bag up.

“Let’s go hyungs,” Jongjin reminded, pointing at the open lift door. We got in and went to the ground floor without saying anything. Jongwoon hyung did try to start a conversation, but I was too busy hiding from him.

When we arrived at the bus stop, the bus was just arriving, so we all ran to get on the bus.

“Sungmin hyung, hi!” I greeted happily. He turned to look at who called him and smiled when he saw me. Then he stood up and walked over to us.

“Hi Ryeowook, Yesung hyung, Kangin hyung, Jongjin,” he greeted all four of us. We went to sit at the back of the bus. Jongjin and Sungmin hyung were sitting in the corners. I didn’t want Sungmin hyung to feel lonely, so I took the initiative to sit beside him.

Jongwoon hyung seemed confused though. He seemed to want to sit beside me, but he didn’t want to leave Jongjin alone. In the end, he sat beside his brother, looking a little bored. In no time at all, Jongjin fell asleep on Jongwoon hyung’s shoulder. Sungmin hyung fell asleep on my shoulder too.

We reached school in 45 minutes, so that meant that it was 7.15am. The meeting place was the canteen. We were a little early but as expected, Teukie umma was there first.

“Kangin!” Teukie umma exclaimed and ran over to hug my hyung. Behind him, I spotted Heechul hyung and Hankyung hyung making out. Wait.

Heechul hyung and Hankyung hyung were here so early? That’s abnormal.

We went to greet them and the couple didn’t even spare us a glance. Actually, Hankyung hyung tried to reply, but Heechul hyung didn’t quite let him.

I spotted some of my classmates in the canteen too. Well, mainly I saw the ‘Infinite’ group. That’s what they called themselves, anyway. They said that it meant that their abilities were infinite.

I went over to them with Jongjin trailing behind me. Earlier on, he was purposely making gagging noises in front of the HanChul couple who were, as mentioned, making out.

“Hey guys,” I greeted. They turned and saw Jongjin and me before greeting back. “Can we sit here? The facilitators are kind of making out and it’s a little annoying,” I told them.

“Sure,” Sunggyu said and gestured towards two empty seats.

“I heard from my hyung that we would be split into groups of five. Each group would sleep in one cabin,” Jongjin said while sitting down.

The seven of them widened their eyes.

“No! I can’t be separated from my Hyunnie!” Sunggyu protested while clutching onto Woohyun's arm tightly. Jongjin widened his eyes while I remained neutral.

“You guys are together?” Jongjin asked in disbelief. I could already tell that WooGyu – nice couple name huh? – were together since we played ‘Cham Cham Cham’ yesterday.

“You guys are all gay, aren’t you? It’s a little obvious,” I pointed out. “Sungjong is with Myungsoo and Hoya, Woohyun with Sunggyu, and the other two, I have no idea.”

“I’m with Sungjong and Sungyeol,” Myungsoo said.

“I’m with Sungjong and Dongwoo,” Hoya said.

What kind of weird love… I-don’t-know-what-shape is this?

“I can tell that you’re confused, Ryeowook hyung. Well basically, YaDong and MyungYeol were together first but then both Myungie and Hoya hyungs fell for me. Then we just had this weird arrangement. After all, we were best friends since the beginning of high school and we didn’t want to ruin our friendship, so we compromised,” Sungjong explained.

Jongjin looked absolutely confused, so he just shrugged. “I don’t quite understand anything anymore,” he sighed. “But won’t Dongwoo and Sungyeol be jealous?”

The two shook their heads. “Our boyfriends still give us the same love as they did before,” Dongwoo smiled and pecked Hoya on the cheek.

Before we knew it, we were chatting about the courses that we were taking. Apparently Woohyun was taking the exact same courses as me. He was an awesome singer, but he loved cooking as well. It’s just like me all over again.

Sunggyu was taking music and higher music. Sungyeol and Sungjong took music and variety. Dongwoo took dance and rap. Myungsoo took instrumental music and acting. Hoya’s courses were the most complicated. He took dance, rap, and cooking. How he even balanced them out was confusing. I wonder how busy he’ll be.

Jongjin seemed to have the same concerns as me, but he was faster in asking.

“Hoya, how do you even balance anything? You take dancing as a major, rapping and cooking as minors. Where do you find time for your classes?” Jongjin asked, looking shocked.

“I stay back for two hours everyday for cooking class. I know that Ryeowook hyung does that on Friday too. So does Woohyun. The only difference is that I have to stay back everyday, not just on Fridays. But then again, I have Dongwoo to help me with dancing and rapping. He’s nearly as good as me in dancing,” Hoya boasted. Dongwoo blushed and denied the fact.

“Yah, hyung, stop being so humble. We all know that your dancing is awesome,” Sungjong stated.

“I’ll look forward to seeing that in camp,” Teukie umma’s voice suddenly appeared out of nowhere.

The nine of us jumped and turned to look at him.

“Teukie umma, good morning! You were too busy hugging my hyung to notice me and I didn’t want to ruin your moment,” I told him. He ruffled my hair lightly.

“You should have. And someone could’ve told me that HanChul were eating each other’s faces,” he complained. Jongjin and I just grinned. And then I realized something.

“Teukie umma, you messed up my hair!” I screeched and dashed to the toilet to fix it.

 

---------------------------------------------

 

I walked back into the canteen and saw that all the classes were already seated on the floor in rows of two. I hurried towards the class which Jongwoon hyung was standing in front of.

“Jongwoon hyung, I’m here,” I told him.

“Wookie, go sit at the back of the row. Hmm… G.O. and Seungho aren’t here yet…” Jongwoon hyung mumbled. He barely spared me a second thought.

I went to the back of the row and did as told. Beside me was Hyunseung. His hair was nice! I should ask him where he gets his hair done.

Anyways, the two missing people arrived in a minute or so and our class attendance was marked. We then got onto the bus that would bring us to the campsite.

On the way there – we sat randomly and Jongjin was beside me – the Infinite guys were chatting animatedly and I was just looking out of the window, listening to my music. Jongjin fell asleep on my shoulder, not that I mind. Seungho and G.O. were talking to each other as well. Seulong and Hyunseung sat beside each other rather awkwardly, but they tried to converse. Boyfriend – Donghyun’s clique – was also talking a lot, with the exception of Youngmin who was sleeping on his twin’s shoulder. Jongwoon hyung was just there, staring out the window.

The entire bus ride took an hour or so. It’s a good thing that I was distracted by Jongwoon hyung or I would’ve fallen asleep as well.

When we exited the bus, all of us thanked the bus driver for driving us and he seemed pretty happy. Then we just got off and assembled in our rows of two to check our attendance again before we were told about our groups.

Jongwoon hyung passed a slip of paper around, indicating our rooms.

Cabin 14:

Cabin 15:

Cabin 16:

Cabin 17:

Seungho

Woohyun

G.O.

Myungsoo

Sunggyu

Donghyun

Ryeowook

Seulong

Sungjong

Jeongmin

Youngmin

Hyunseong

Minwoo

Jongjin

Hoya

Kwangmin

Taemin

Hyunseung

Sungyeol

Dongwoo


I’m with Youngmin, G.O., Hoya and Sungyeol. Youngmin. The heaviest sleeper in class. Oh .

I went to find Minwoo before we were dispatched to put our stuff in our cabins.

“Minwoo-ah,” I called. He turned to me with a surprised expression on his face.

“Ne, Ryeowook hyung?” he asked. I don’t know how to say this…

“Can you come to Cabin 16 every morning to wake Youngmin up? I mean it’s only for two days, right?” I requested. From what I saw on the first day of school, Minwoo was the only one who could wake Youngmin up.

“No problem hyung. The Boyfriend members all stay together in one apartment and I wake Youngmin up daily too. Not even Donghyun hyung can do that!” he said proudly.

“Thanks Minwoo!” I said gratefully. Jongwoon hyung told us to get back into our rows of two and briefed us on what to do before dismissing us to our cabins. We had an hour and a half to settle down and rest before we were supposed to ‘mingle with the other classes’.

G.O., Youngmin, Hoya, Sungyeol and I went to find Cabin 16. It didn’t take too long since the cabin numbers were painted in bold on the sides of every cabin.

We went into the cabin and put our stuff onto the beds. There were three bunk beds, so we decided to do the sleeping arrangements first. We took out a piece of paper and played the ladder game!

In the end, one bottom bed was left empty. Youngmin, G.O. and Hoya were on the top beds while Sungyeol and I slept on the bottom beds.

We laid out whatever we should on the bed, such as our sleeping bags. But then we kept all our sleeping bags after seeing how dirty the bed was. We then noticed the condition of the cabin.

There was dried mud almost all over the floor and tons of dust. It must have been untouched for some time. I swear I saw some insect crawling in that corner. Eww…

“Let’s clean up! I brought gloves and there are brooms in that corner,” I announced and took my packet of disposable gloves out. “I’ll search for pails or mops,” I told them and left the gloves on the bed for them to take.

Outside, I saw Minwoo, Woohyun and Myungsoo as well. They were asking Jongwoon hyung about something. He nodded to them and walked off.

“Jongwoon hyung!” I called before he was out of earshot. He turned to look at me.

“Ne, Ryeowook?” he shouted.

“Do you have a mop and pails?” I asked back in the same volume.

He nodded and gestured for me to go over. I ran to him and raised a brow.

“I need you help to bring four pails of water and four mops over,” he told me and grinned.

Mwoh? I can’t carry two pails of water!

“Woohyun, Myungsoo, Minwoo, come here!” I shouted. They seemed a little confused but came over to where we were anyway.

“Since all of you are here, I need each of you to fill a pail up for your cabin. Bring a mop back as well,” Jongwoon hyung instructed. They all sighed but did as told. In the end, Jongwoon hyung only led us to where all the cleaning equipment was kept. There were a total of thirty cabins, so there were thirty mops and pails. We were only using twenty-five cabins in total so… I took an extra mop! Hehehe. But the other three did too!

Also, I got a feather duster and some fabric cleaning agent for the very dusty beds. If we don’t clean those, we’ll all get rashes. Who knows if there are dust mites on those beds?

We returned to our respective cabins after thanking Jongwoon hyung.

“Two people sweep the floor, two people mop the floor, and one person kills the insects. Firstly, we’ll have to clean the beds of all the dust. I have some cleaning agent for the beds. And I’ll mop the floor!” I shouted right away.

Youngmin and Sungyeol wanted to sweep the floor. Hoya decided to mop the floor with me. That leaves G.O. to do the killing of the insects.

“Good luck. You’ll need it,” I told him encouragingly and we began to clean the cabin.

After we used the feather duster to clean the beds, we sprayed cleaning agent onto the bed sheets. We made sure that the beds were dustless before moving on to the floor.

Youngmin and Sungyeol swept away all the dust while Hoya and I mopped over the area that was already swept. G.O. was searching under the beds for insects. He used some random piece of paper that he found to whack all of them. Those insects were then swept away and the floor in that area would be mopped.

We worked systematically and took about forty-five minutes to completely clean our cabin.

Once we were done cleaning our cabin, we returned all the cleaning equipment and removed our shoes, leaving them outside the cabin. We don’t want our hard work to be wasted by stepping into the cabin with our muddy shoes.

We got some paper and tape from Jongwoon hyung to paste a warning on the door. It read ‘DO NOT WEAR SHOES IN. ALL PEOPLE WHO DO SO PLEASE CLEAN THE CABIN.’

We also reminded those from our class to remember our golden rule. I’d bet nobody is willing to clean our cabin as well as we did. It looked completely different than it did before. The floor was spotless, the beds smelled nice and were dustless, and there were no spiders or whatnot.

There was twenty minutes left to rest, so those in our cabin got onto our respective beds and laid out our sleeping bags. We just started to talk about our lives in high school. I’d say we bonded quite a lot within those twenty minutes.

Then we were called to assemble in the field for the first activity.

 

---------------------------------------------

 

In the end, the first activity turned out to be mingling with other classes. We didn’t exactly bond much for this hour. Well, let’s say that I went to find the other Super Junior newbies. I know that G.O. went to find Seungho and his other friends. My other roommates just headed towards their usual group, aka Boyfriend and Infinite.

“Hey Henry, Kyuhyun. Where are the others? As in Kibum and Siwon?” I asked. The two of them shrugged, not knowing where those two were as well. We roamed around the field searching for them. It turned out that they were talking to Heechul hyung and Hankyung hyung.

“Annyeong hyungs!” Henry greeted. Heechul turned to face us and attacked Henry’s cheeks.

“Oh my god did I mention how cute you are, Henry?” Heechul hyung asked. Henry nodded slightly, his cheeks still being pinched rather tightly by Heechul hyung.

“Chullie, you’re killing the kid’s cheeks. Let him go,” Hankyung hyung told Heechul hyung.

“Oops. Sorry Henry. And what did I say about calling me umma?” Heechul hyung chided.

“Ne, Chullie umma,” Henry gave in to Heechul hyung’s demands.

“Yah. Only I get to call him Chullie,” Hankyung hyung protested.

“Hannie, no shouting at my son. Henry-ah, ignore this bad appa of yours. And don’t call Teukie your umma, ok? That title’s reserved for me,” Heechul hyung warned. Henry smiled and nodded, but that action caused his cheeks to be attacked again.

“Hi Ryeowook, hi Kyuhyun,” Hankyung hyung said. Finally someone notices our presence.

“Morning hyung,” I answered. “Hi Siwon, hi Kibum.”

“Good morning to everyone,” Kyuhyun said simply. He is such a lazy .

After a minute of chatting, the other facilitators/Super Junior members came over and joined our conversation. Teukie umma was the first to speak after we all greeted each other.

“You know what? I miss the other four. You know, Min, Hae, Hyuk and Mi. EunHae always manage to brighten up the atmosphere. It feels empty without their constant chatting,” Teukie umma sighed. Youngwoon hyung patted his back softly.

“Teukie, you can’t be upset after leaving them for just a few hours. Come on, you know we have to get on with the camp and stuff. Stop thinking about that. But I want to ask you guys if you have any talents to show for the campfire. It’s a custom for camps to have one,” Youngwoon hyung reminded.

Siwon and Kibum seemed slightly shocked while Henry nodded.

“I brought my violin along. I have to practice the violin. I’ve been learning the instrument since I was six and I’m so used to having my violin around me whenever I need it. It is kind of an extra baggage but I have my aunt to drive me around,” Henry said. “I’ll probably play a piece that I know.”

“I’m going to sing ‘7 Years of Love’. It’s the song that I used for the entry exams to get into Seoul Institute of the Arts,” Kyuhyun told us proudly. He seemed confident.

“Ryeowook, what are you going to do?” Shindong hyung asked. Everyone’s heads turned to look at me expectantly. I’m feeling kind of stressed out.

“I know! You can sing ‘One Fine Spring Day’!” Jongwoon hyung suggested.

“Is that the song that you composed with me and Min the other time? That song is great when you sing it, Ryeowook. You should follow Yesung's suggestion. After all, he has been in higher music for four years. He has tons of experience with this stuff,” Teukie umma agreed.

“Well… Ok, then I’ll sing that song. But there are people who aren’t doing solos, right?” I asked.

Teukie umma thought about this for a while.

“Yeah. Because it’s not compulsory to perform with your classmates, so there are groups who want to perform songs that they’ve composed in high school. They are probably best friends and know exactly what song they’ve done together before,” Teukie umma explained. The Year 1s, including me, all nodded, somewhat surprised. I wonder what kind of performances we’ll see.

Before we knew it, we had talked to each other for an hour. I have no idea how, but it just happened. The classes all assembled in the field to go for lunch.

In the dining area, we sat according to our cabins. Cabin 1, the facilitators, sat together. Then Cabins 2 and 3 sat together, 4 and 5, and so on. We did a cheer before the facilitators allowed us to eat our lunch. It was some sort of catered bibimbab. Amazingly, it tasted awesome!

After lunch, everyone went back into their respective cabins to rest for a half hour before we had to assemble for the next activity. Classes 1-3 and 1-4 were supposed to do all activities together, and some were competitive. Our next activity was outdoor cooking.

When I got back into my cabin, Hoya and Sungyeol still weren’t back yet. Meanwhile, G.O., Youngmin and I talked about what we would perform for campfire.

“I’m doing this song called ‘Mona Lisa’ with my friends. It was something we did for a project two years ago and it got the highest grade in class,” G.O. announced.

“Boyfriend is going to do our first song, also called Boyfriend. It was our first project song together and it was the song that made us lifelong friends,” Youngmin smiled, reminiscing the times when they performed the song for their class.

“I’m singing a solo. The song is called ‘One Fine Spring Day’, and I composed it with the help of some seniors in the past. Jongwoon hyung suggested that I do that song so why not?” I shrugged.

Hoya and Sungyeol strutted into the room.

“Hey guys. What’re you talking about?” Hoya asked.

“We were just discussing what we would perform tomorrow during campfire night,” I told them.

“I heard that we don’t have to stay within our classes, is that right?” Sungyeol asked.

“That’s what I heard from Yesung hyung. That’s why I know I can perform this song with my friends from other classes. It’s a dance song you know?” G.O. asked smugly.

“Pssh. I’m doing a dance song too!” Youngmin argued.

“Infinite is going to do a song that topped the level when we were in high school. It’s called ‘Before the Dawn’. It’s a dance song too,” Hoya chimed in.

“Ok, guys, stop arguing about who’s doing a dance song and who isn’t. Jongjin is just going to do some weird octopus dance that he learned from Yesung hyung. Seulong’s doing a ballad with his friends, not a dance song. A dance song doesn’t guarantee anything!” Sungyeol exclaimed exasperatedly. I agree. There’s no point in fighting over whose performance is better.

“Come on and get ready already. We have to go soon,” I added.

“Thirty minutes is over?” Youngmin asked in disbelief.

“It took us quite some time to get back here you know. Hurry up,” I rushed them. I went to the door and put on my shoes. “Last person turn the lights and fans off.”

We gathered in the field and waited for Class 1-3 to settle down. After that, we went to the place where we would be doing the outdoor cooking. I hope that they give us good ingredients.

 

------------------------------------------------

 

They gave us some carrot, cheese, cabbage, and chicken. We also had condiments to use. The other ingredients had to be bought by credit which we only had twenty of.

“I suggest making cheese hotdog and curry chicken. We can use the carrot for the curry and buy some potato and hotdog. We’ll need some curry powder and milk as well. They have all that, but do we have enough credit?” Jongjin asked. Being the only person in this class who’s taking higher cooking, Jongjin had the heavy responsibility of helping us win.

I heard that Class 1-3 has this guy, Eli, who takes higher cooking as well.

After we ‘bought’ all our ingredients, we laid everything out neatly on the table.

“And let the cooking begin!”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Anyone else think this chapter ended kinda weirdly? I do :/

Well nothing much happened in this chappie with the exception of a few discussions and stuff. Next chapter will be better, I promise! You guys have to look forward to it ne? :)

Comments are loved and I guess I'll see you again next week! Annyeong~! ^^