Chapter 4 - Lunch

I Saw That

It was finally lunch time. At last, you were free from all the a, b, c and x, y, z you met in algebras. Math class always made you hungry. It wasn't only you, anyway. The whole class had been waiting for the bell to ring, signaling the arrival of their long-awaited victory. And so, you quickly grabbed your lunchbox and gathered with all your friends. In an instance, your class transformed into a picnic area.

Myungsoo wasn't your classmate. Even so, he would excitedly run over to your class once the bell rang to pick his lunchbox. But today, there was no sign of him coming.

"____-ah, where's Myungsoo?" asked Soojung, your close friend; the 'tiny' wavy-haired class president. She seemed to notice that you'd been looking uneasy.

"I don't know. I'm not his mom." You pretended not to care. However, you weren't skillful enough in acting to do so.

"Well, you pack him lunch like a mom," said Jiae, another close friend of yours who went to the same junior high as you and Myungsoo. More or less, she knew that you didn't see Myungsoo as just your bestfriend.

"Whatever. Hey, I'm gonna look for him, okay? I don't wanna bring it back home uneaten."

"Go ahead," Jiae and Soojung waved at you.

You went out from your noisy classroom and made your way to Myungsoo's class. But he wasn't there either. Instead, you were welcomed by his 'gang'.

"Ah, ____-ah!" Dongwoo shouted, or perhaps screamed, when he saw you standing by the door. Sungjong, Dongwoo, Hoya, and Sunggyu who were excitedly chatting each other turned their heads and greeted you.

"____-ah, if you're looking for Myungsoo, he's not here." Hoya told you without you even asked. They all nodded in sync.

"And what's that thing you bring?" Sunggyu glanced at the black lunchbox. Sungyeol was about to grab it from you, but you noticed and kept it away from his hand.

"It's Myungsoo's!" You playfully hit Sungyeol's hand. "Where is he?"

"He's probably hunting with Woohyun," said Sungjong. By hunting, you knew that they were looking for girls.

And somehow, you felt hurt.

It's because you knew that Myungsoo must be looking for his crush, Jiah. Indeed, Myungsoo had a crush.

"Well, you could just leave it here, ____." Dongwoo woke you up from daydreaming.

"Nah. It's not safe," you laughed and went outside, leaving them yelling at you like little kids, asking for the lunchbox. You honestly didn't know where to find him. But if Sungjong's right, Myungsoo and Woohyun were probably at the 3rd floor, where Jiah's classroom was.

You decided to went upstairs, just to found out that you made a right guess. Myungsoo and Woohyun were indeed there, standing in front of Jiah's classroom, surrounded by some girls. And you saw Jiah. At that time, you really wanted to throw the lunchbox you're holding to her head, or maybe Myungsoo's head. You wasn't even sure whom you're upset to.

You almost lost your mind. You needed fresh air, and the only solution was the rooftop. There, you were just stay silent, staring blankly at the beautiful bright sky above. You then opened the uneaten lunchbox and stared at it for a while.

"What should I do with all of these?"

You turned your sight to the corner of the rooftop, where a big trashbin was provided. Everything was a waste anyway, so you decided to just throw it away. You were just about to do so when suddenly Myungsoo grabbed the lunchbox from your hand.

"What do you think you're doing, huh?" He stared at you madly.

"I thought you won't eat." You were still surprised but somehow you felt relieved. At least, he still remembered his lunch.

"I'm hungry as hell, you silly." He sat down and ate. You sat down too and just watched him eat. He must be so hungry that he ate everything in no time.

"That Woohyun," Myungsoo started talking, "I told him I was hungry but he kept dragging me upstairs."

"Aren't you happy? You met Jiah, didn't you?"

"But food is the basic need of a human!"

The bell rang and cut your conversation. You went back to the class, and so did Myungsoo.

You wasn't sure why, but since that day on, you knew everything had started to change.