The Villain

Frozen Daffodil
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Junmyeon looked up from the cashier. Eunsoo’s head was buried in a book and she hadn’t spared a single glance at him for the past ten minutes. Yes. It was just ten minutes but it felt like an eternity to him. Since there were no customers in the book cafe at the time, he walked up to her, and snatched the novel away from her.

“Junmyeon!” Eunsoo whined. Junmyeon raised an eyebrow at her. “I’m the one who should be whining right now. As you’re choosing a novel over me.” He frowned at her. “When will you be going back to your restaurant?”

“In about half an hour.” She said after checking the watch. “Okay. My shift will be over in twenty minutes. We can go there together.” He said beaming at her. Eunsoo smiled back at him and slowly took the book from his hand. “There’s a customer, Mr. Cashier.” Junmyeon whirled around to see an old lady at the counter. “Coming ajummah!” he ran to his position. Eunsoo giggled to herself and started reading again.

 

Junmyeon hadn’t stopped working at Kyungsoo’s mom’s book cafe even after the finals were over. Eunsoo begged him a numerous times to return to his dad, but every time she reminded him of home, he ended up getting angry. Still Eunsoo was determined to get him back in good terms with his dad.

After Junmyeon’s work shift was over, he accompanied Eunsoo to her dad’s restaurant. Her dad welcomed him warmly.
“It’s past lunch time, but if you want, you can have a snack.” He told Junmyeon.

“No need abeonim, we had lunch late today.” Junmyeon said with a smile. Just then, Eunsoo’s mom entered the restaurant, followed by Eunsoo’s two younger siblings, Jisoo and Yeongsoo. “Oh! Omma!” Eunsoo was surprised to see her. Junmyeon turned to her and bowed deep down to her. “Anyeonghaseyo ommonim, I’m-“

“Junmyeon aren’t you?” Eunsoo’s mom asked with a warm smile on her face. Junmyeon’s ears went pink. “You look tired now. Must have been working since morning. So let’s talk later.” She said. “We came for grocery shopping, and our Yeongsoo wanted to go on a walk with his dad. So we came here.”

Eunsoo’s dad went to his son and knelt down in front of the boy. “Yeongsoo-yah appa is a bit busy now. Office workers will start coming in, in about half an hour. So shall we go for a walk tomorrow?” He asked in a pleading voice.

Junmyeon watched the little boy’s face fall. “Eunsoo and I will take care of the restaurant. You can go out.” he smiled at the small family. Mr. Choi looked at the young man in surprise. “Are you sure?”

“Of course. Eunsoo will cook and I can serve.” Junmyeon said reassuringly. “Go ahead, we’ll be fine.”

Both Eunsoo’s mom and dad thanked Junmyeon, for being so considerate, and they went out with Jisoo and Yeongsoo. Junmyeon flopped on a plastic chair, as the evening customers had not started coming in yet. He placed his chin on the backrest of the chair, and watched the small family walking away happily along the river bank of River Han. Yeongsoo was over the moon, having his dad to all himself, and clung onto his arm and walked with him. Jisoo and her mom followed them, chattering away merrily in the evening light.

“See, how beautiful a family can be?”

Eunsoo dragged a chair and sat beside him. Junmyeon didn’t answer, but kept on watching the family walk far away, with slight smile on his lips.

“Don’t you want to go back to those days again?” she asked him. This time, Junmyeon lifted his head and turned to her, with and unreadable expression on his face. “What do you expect from asking such hurtful questions?” he asked her, after staring at her for some time. Eunsoo quickly placed her hand on his, squeezing it slightly. “Don’t get me wrong Junmyeon, I’m not trying to hurt you.” She said. “I just wanted to convince you something.”

“Convince what?” his voice was still harsh. Eunsoo still could not figure out why he always become rude at once when family matters were brought up. She brought her hand to his face, and wiped away a bead of sweat that was trickling down from the side of his face. His tensed mood started loosening a bit, with her touch.

“Two people are waiting to give you that life Junmyeon.” She said. “Why stay away from someone who’s eager to love you?”

Junmyeon remained silent, as if he didn’t hear anything. “Your dad was bearing everything alone after your mom passed away. Imagine how lonely he must have been.” She went on. He didn’t even budge, and kept staring at her hand which was holding his own. “Remember? How you wanted me to stay by your side when you were alone? You needed someone to hold onto, so badly, remember?” She peered into his eyes. “Your dad must have felt the same Junmyeon, or maybe worse than that. He lost his wife, and as left alone with his child, and wouldn’t someone like that look for some love and affection?”

Junmyeon wanted to snatch his hand away from hers. He wanted to get up and leave the place so this talk would come to an end. But he couldn’t. He couldn’t get away from her touch, or run away from her. So he had to listen. Even though he hated it, he had to listen.

“You’re so lucky Junmyeon, Dr. Jiwon is such a nice person. I’ve never seen such a kind doctor in my life. It’s extremely rare to have a stepmom who loves you with all her heart Junmyeon. But you have got it. You have got a stepmom with such a beautiful heart, whom you can call ‘omma’ without any doubt.” Eun

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter