Hurt Again

Frozen Daffodil
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The annual concert was around the corner, and the students who were to perform in it were practicing hard. The twelve guys were their biggest hope, as everyone knew that their performance is going to be the biggest hit of the night.

“We won’t be able to attend lectures tomorrow. The final rehearsal is there. Eunsoo, you can get the lecture note for us right?” Minseok asked Eunsoo, as they were on their way to the faculty cafeteria to have tea one evening.

Eunsoo nodded at him. “Don’t worry about that, and practice well. You guys are the most awaited of that night.” She said.

“Yixing hyung, how about singing that song from the engagement night instead of Lucky One?” Sehun asked with his usual smirk, making Yixing’s face go slightly red. “Maybe you’ll get a response this time.” He turned to Eunsoo and winked at her.

“Yah, stop teasing her.” Chanyeol slapped Sehun at the back of his head. Sehun sprang back at him, and the two were fighting each other along the entire way to the cafeteria. Meanwhile Yixing eyed Eunsoo, who was silently walking beside Junmyeon who was walking long, looking straight ahead. And to Yixing, it seriously looked like she was hiding behind Junmyeon, and avoiding Yixing. He remembered how she left the party that night, without even telling him. Sohyun had told him that Eunsoo had to run home because something had come up there. He guessed it might be her brother’s illness or something like that. Still he was disappointed. Because it was his plan that night to take her home by himself, and confess to her before departing. All his plans were ruined, and now he was waiting for another chance to do it.

 

“Guess what, Eunsoo and I are appointed to the backstage crew.” Sohyun said, beaming widely.

“What? Is this your way of sneaking in to the dressing room to watch me change?” Chanyeol asked with a grin, getting himself a punch on the upper arm from Sohyun, as that was the height she could easily punch him. “Okay ma’am, just joking!” He grinned back at her.

“Yoona asked us to join in. That’s why we’ll be there. But we’ll run into the front audience when you guys are performing.” Eunsoo said. The guys nodded in unison.

 

While all the others were loudly chattering away, Kyungsoo leaned closer to Junmyeon, and spoke to him.

“Hyung, no offence, but don’t you think you can sing better?” He asked. “You don’t seem to be in your right mind these days. I mean, you sang off-pitch several times today.” He said. Junmyeon nodded in silence. “I know, I’m sorry Kyungsoo.” He said. He knew that he didn’t do well in the rehearsals while everyone else sang their part very well, and since Kyungsoo’s specialty was music, Junmyeon took in his advice without any doubt. “I’ll do my best in the concert.”

“I’m telling this because I know that you can sing really well. Your voice is my favourite among the lot.” Kyungsoo said showing his heart-shaped smile. “Sing from your heart hyung, put away everything you have in your mind and take the emotions of the song into you. We can’t let that angelic voice of yours waste away.” Kyungsoo said. Junmyeon smiled and gave Kyungsoo a friendly punch on his shoulder.

 

* * * * * * * *

 

It was the concert eve and the theatre was crowded than ever. The back stage was in chaos. The back stage crew was running here and there, co-ordinating everything. Eunsoo came running towards the entrance of the boys’ dressing room and stopped in front of the door, panting. Taemin, who was standing by the door laughed at her. “Looking for someone? Is it Yixing?” he asked suppressing his laughter.

“The acoustic medley...” Eunsoo said, still panting. “The acoustic medley is next. Ask them to come out.” She said. Taemin gave her a thumbs up and entered the room.

“Acoustic medley next!” He called out.

“Coming!” Kris yelled back.

“...the answer is you...my answer is you...” Jongin sang while adjusting his hair in front of the mirror. “Matching song for me these days,” Junmyeon muttered under his breath, buttoning up his shirt. But Jongin heard that, and turned to him. “Better tell him the truth hyung, he’s trying his best to get some alone time with her. And the whole faculty is thinking that his song today is dedicated to Eunsoo.” He said, eyeing Yixing, who was walking out of the dressing room. His face lit up when he saw Eunsoo at the entrance, and Jongin sighed and turned back to the mirror. “The answer is you...my answer is you...”

Junmyeon averted his eyes away from the entrance. “Practice your song Twenty-Four, not My Answer.” He continued adjusting his shirt listening to Jongin’s song.

 

Eunsoo waited till the twelve guys step out of the room, talking casually with Yixing, who came out earlier. They came out, all groomed up, dressed in blue satin shirts, some with black jeans and some with white jeans. “Oh...you guys look really handsome!” she said, raising her eyebrows. “Let’s go, you’re next.” She lead their way towards the stage. “Remember hyung, sing from your heart.” Kyungsoo whispered into Junmyeon’s ear. Junmyeon smiled at the younger and nodded.

 

The twelve guys took their places on the stage, Chanyeol and Yixing sitting on high stools with their guitars, after the hosts, Minhyuk and Krystal announced their performance. The audience erupted with cheers, and screams from the girls. Chanyeol, Yixing and Junmyeon scanned the crowd with their eyes to find their special someone, and all three of them saw Sohyun and Eunsoo standing really close to the stage, waving at them. A smile came on to Yixing’s face, while Chanyeol grinned widely, and Junmyeon pursed his lips, meeting Eunsoo’s eyes for the n’th time that day. She did a ‘fighting’ gesture, and soon after Chanyeol started playing his guitar. Kyungsoo started singing My Lady, hypnotizing the audience with his beautiful voice.

The whole performance went flawless, everyone performing their part very well. Yixing sang a part from ‘Lucky One’ and the crowd went “Oooo........” along his lines in the song, guessing that was for Eunsoo. Junmyeon bit the inside of his cheek, and looked at Eunsoo. She had been looking at him the entire time, and gave him the most innocent smile, which made his heart burn. He wanted to treat her better, and tell the whole world that she belonged to him. But he feared hurting his best friend at the same time. Every time he thought of this, he got frustrated, and angry.

After Yixing’s part ended, it was time for the last song of the acoustic medley, Junmyeon’s song. He lifted the mic to his lips and started singing, his eyes fixed on Eunsoo.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter